Please help, I can't stop recruiting colonists!

Started by BladeOfSharpness, July 23, 2019, 06:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

Most nation only recruit their best people as astronauts, but you do it opposite.
You populate the universe with dummies while keep the genius at home ! :-)

Limdood

Now we know:

1) who crashed the ship.
2) who sent the ship
and
3) why our starting pool of colonists is always the most dysfunctional bunch of misfits you could ever imagine.

It's all Gadfly's fault...

Shurp

Wait, the Rimworld colonists are Golgafrinchans???!!!  NOW it all makes sense!!!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

RicRider

You could always use the less useful ones as a mood booster. Just have some bloodlust pawns beat a few of them to death with wooden clubs. It can be quite amusing! Also, when they go on mental breaks and run for the drugs, just have some of the other pawns gang up and beat them unconscious. That will end the mental break and keep things chaotic so you end up with a few less pawns after a season or two.
##Coding Scrub##

B@R5uk

Am I the only one, who carefully selects pawns for colony for them to be very friendly with each other?

Pangaea

Probably not. I just try to get pawns with decent skills that covers all the basics, and then try to get them without injuries so they don't have pains. Plus if I get non-terrible traits on them as well, but I don't want to spend an hour "re-rolling".

After those starting five (I prefer to use the tribal scenario), I try to be selective in who I recruit. If they're not useful for anything or have horrible traits, I don't want them. If they can genuinely contribute -- sure, you are welcome. Otherwise you can bleed out, thank you very much - or maybe I'll make the bother of picking you apart for organs. Might come in use later. Although it will lead to the entire colony flipping out for a week or so :D

Once I rescued a 90 year old woman that dropped from the sky. She had a bad back, couldn't see, and loads of other horrible stuff. Healed up okay, but even as healthy she was in such a state that she could barely make it off the map. Never seen anything move that slowly.

B@R5uk

Quote from: Pangaea on August 08, 2019, 01:44:09 PM...She had a bad back, couldn't see, and loads of other horrible stuff. Healed up okay, but even as healthy she was in such a state that she could barely make it off the map...
Hahahaha! Like this? Every time she tried to leave she got malnourished or a little bit of heat stroke (it was game on hot biome) and collapsed on spot. It took me to make special healing room on the edge of the map for her to be able to leave.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Pangaea

Hahaha, yep, something like that  ;D

Thankfully my crock made it off the map on her own without any more help, although she got pretty hungry before she got to the edge. Movement speed was 0.10 cells per second or something like that. Almost imperceptible.

One of my current pawns took a shot to the brain and it's at 4/10. That alone means she can barely move and any small extra condition will incapacitate her, like food poisoning. And since she moves so slowly, she can get malnourished on the way from a cleaning job to the freezer. Another time I had to pick her up in the freezer because she fainted there (while picking up a meal after eating) due to tiredness.

Oddly enough she's still a decent shooter and constructor, but her value to the colony is a faint shade of what it once was.

RicRider

I once got an octaganerian out of my hospital with a shot of luciferium. It gave him just enough consciousness to get off the map (although it still took him 3 hours).
##Coding Scrub##

B@R5uk

Well, aside from usefulness and absence of bad habits I'm using dev mod to check if potential new pawn is socially compatible with majority of my others pawns. Also lately I like kind trait very much. My last colony has almost half of pawns with this nice trait despite naked brutality start. Someone can say it's cheating to check hidden stats with dev mode, but for me it's crucial information devs "fogotten" to implement in the game.

Pangaea

We all play how we like of course, nothing wrong with that.

For me, though, I like to just play the game and take what happens on the chin. It's more fun in the long run than hunting for perfection in base design, non-injuries and non-deaths and so on. Social fights and marriage break-ups can certainly be frustrating (like when two pawns starting beating each other's brain out when the whole crew was on the way to take on a mech ship), but it gives the game more flavour as well. It's a crew of randomly gathered colonists from diverse backgrounds. Some in-fighting is probably expected.