[1.0] Odd shadows around sculptures on smoothed stone floors

Started by Pangaea, August 20, 2019, 02:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Not entirely sure if this is a bug or some type of shadow feature, but am posting it here since I think it looks a little off.

The rec room has an entirely smoothed stone floor, and as you can see from the picture, the area around the sculptures is darker than the rest of the room. The workshop room to the left has normal stone flooring, and I don't see the same effect there, or at least not to the same degree.

There appears to be a fainter similar effect under the tables, but not the poker table.

Razuhl

That's not a bug it's the "CastEdgeShadows" flag. It drops that ugly puddle to simulate a shadow. You can use xml modding or RIMMSqol to change it inside the game.

Pangaea

Quote from: Razuhl on August 20, 2019, 05:05:31 PM
That's not a bug it's the "CastEdgeShadows" flag. It drops that ugly puddle to simulate a shadow. You can use xml modding or RIMMSqol to change it inside the game.

Interesting, and thanks for confirming it's not a bug, but a 'feature' of sorts.

Since I see you are the author: Would it be possible to use this mod for only this feature (changing the shadows) and not the plethora of other stuff? Is it safe to add it to save games and then remove it again?

Is this mod only available on steam? I don't use steam and never will.

Razuhl

I only provide a steam version but you can google for it, there are third party sites that host steam mods.

You can hide the new buttons and disable every patched in feature that you don't want(essentially sub mods that can be turned on or off). I do not know of any problems with adding and removing.

In case you want to use xml modding simply add these patches in a mod shell:

<Operation Class="PatchOperationAdd">
  <xpath>/Defs/ThingDef[defName = "SculptureGrand"]</xpath>
  <value>
    <castEdgeShadows>False</castEdgeShadows>
  </value>
</Operation>
  <xpath>/Defs/ThingDef[defName = "SculptureLarge"]</xpath>
  <value>
  </value>
</Operation>
  <xpath>/Defs/ThingDef[defName = "SculptureSmall"]</xpath>
  <value>
  </value>
</Operation>

LWM

No, I would say there IS a bug: in the way castEdgeShadows looks on rough floor.

Tynan

It's just a bit of ugliness because the small sculptures are arguably too small for castEdgeShadows to look good.

Possibly I should remove that flag from them. Thanks for pointing it out.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog