[Help] Game wont start linux 18.3

Started by Subway, August 21, 2019, 04:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subway

Hello!
I really wanted to play rimworld and the only pc i can use right now is Linux PC. So i have rimworld downloaded but everytime that i try to open it, it opens for 0.5 seconds then closes... all help is appreciated.
I am a total linux noob so please explain like im 5 when you tell me what to do.
Thank you.

Canute

Hi,
i am not a linux user so i only can give you generell information.
At first the logfile that rimworld create at each start is needed to see why Rimworld close.
To locatete the logfile you should read
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0
Attach the complete file to your answer. To attach file's to your posting you need to use the Reply button then you got file attachment options.

Pangaea

Since you write "18.3" I suppose you have Linux Mint?

Hard to know what the issue is, but one thing you can try to check is whether the file you are probably using to start the game with is set as an executable. Otherwise it might just blip and close again.

Right-click on the "start_RimWorld.sh" file, and select Properties. Go to Permissions tab and tick the checkbox for "Allow executing file as program". Maybe this is set by default, but I don't recall because it's a long time since I installed the game.

You can also create a launcher and put it on the desktop for easier access, which links to this file. Hopefully this is straightforward since it's been a while. Right click on the desktop and select "Create a new launcher here". Then insert the path to the abovementioned file, which in my case is:
/home/pangaea/Games/RimWorld1-0-2282Linux/start_RimWorld.sh
Allow to run as a program under Permissions, and I think you should be set.

Of course, it's entirely possible there is a bigger issue than just this (check the log), but it's worth a shot.

Subway

yes i meant mint 18.3 sorry but thank you for helping me

Pangaea

Quote from: Subway on August 22, 2019, 03:50:37 PM
yes i meant mint 18.3 sorry but thank you for helping me

Did you manage to get the game running, or get a bit further?

LWM

If you didn't get it working, you might try this:  Run RimWorld from the command line and see if any errors pop up when it unexpectedly closes.

I'm running a debian-based system (SolydXK, X version), and it runs quite well.

--LWM