Saving hostiles away from base

Started by Shurp, August 25, 2019, 02:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

I'm sure everyone has experienced this annoying situation: "a drop pod has landed with a pawn I want to save but he'll bleed out in 5 hours and it will take 6 to carry him back to base and treat him"

Or maybe it's someone at a mortar camp you shot, or whatever.  You know that you can't set up a prisoner sleeping spot there, so what to do?

Have some pawns run out there with a pile of wood and some medicine and construct a prisoner shack on site.  A small box will do, a campfire will warm it up to habitable almost instantly, and then you can drop a sleeping spot inside and designate it prisoner and capture him.

One additional trick: create a stockpile set to "critical" next to the planned shack site and then manually select the stuff you want your pawns to haul there.  (Don't rely on them to be intelligent enough to figure out what to bring, they'll always screw it up)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Pangaea

A bit similar, I ended up using the gaps between my walls as a prison cell to prevent a downed raider from bleeding out. Since it's technically a room (1 gap between the walls), it worked.

It's pretty frustrating when farther afield though. Should be possible to stitch them up a bit before carrying them home. Same when your caravan gets ambushed or stuff like that.

Shurp

If you get ambushed in the forest you should be able to cut down some trees... but yeah, if you're on tundra or an ice sheet you're screwed, no way to capture them.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Scorpinax

Yeah, sometimes you just gotta leave an enemy for dead if you don't think you can make it back to your base with them. At least it's different with your own pawns, nothing stopping you from making a sleeping spot near them and doctoring them up on the dirt thank god.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Shurp on August 25, 2019, 09:43:00 PM
If you get ambushed in the forest you should be able to cut down some trees... but yeah, if you're on tundra or an ice sheet you're screwed, no way to capture them.

Tundra still generates trees.  Only ice sheet and sea ice completely lack natural wood.  Extreme desert is really sparse though, might be hard to actually get enough material in time.

Canute

Some mod's added deployable tent's to the game. You just need one of the smaller ones for your caravan. :-)