Setting Save Data Folder (Mac OSX)

Started by RicRider, August 29, 2019, 11:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RicRider

I thought this worked for me in the past, now I realise it has never worked.

I want more than one copy of RimWorld on the same computer. One for modded medieval games and one for modded standard games. I only noticed that this was an issue today when I tried to create a separate folder/copy of the game for a medieval run and in the process broke my standard run.

In the readme file it says I can set the SaveData folder using the following syntax:
C:/RimWorld/RimWorld.exe -savedatafolder=SaveData

On my Mac, I type the following to achieve this, using the terminal, in the folder where the executable file is:
./RimWorldMac -savedatafolder=SaveData\

I get a black screen on startup and the following message in terminal in the background:
Mono path[0] = '/Users/[redacted]/Desktop/RW/RimWorldSpacer-2282Mac/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed'
Mono config path = '/Users/[redacted]/Desktop/RW/RimWorldSpacer-2282Mac/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/etc'
Player data archive not found at `/Users/[redacted]/Desktop/RW/RimWorldSpacer-2282Mac/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystem

The way I understand this error, it's reverting to the default library/Application Support folder instead of using the one I specified. Indeed, when I look in the library/Application Support folder, I see all of my save games and save data. But now for some reason there's two versions of RimWorld pointing to the same place and I get black screens when I start either of them.

Can someone walk me through the exact process of setting up two copies of RimWorld on the same Mac? I'd like to have more than one for different kinds of games, instead of messing about with mod switching in the same game.
##Coding Scrub##

Canute

Sorry i have no clue about the MacOS.
But have you tried to use an absolut path like
C:/RimWorld/RimWorld.exe -savedatafolder=C:/RimWorld/SaveData
?

RicRider

I should update this post. I'm pretty sure a mod was doing this, or something else I wasn't aware about. (Maybe when I played the game on Steam for a while it somehow made all my games point back to the default folder?) I looked at the Player.log file and there was a lot of runtime exceptions going on and a black screen on startup. After deleting my Rimworld install setting the savefile now works again. I don't have to use an absolute path either.

Thanks for your reply.
##Coding Scrub##