Domestic Mechanoids

Started by Grubfist, September 01, 2019, 06:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grubfist

The Fiction Primer mentions there are domestic mechanoids, so I thought I'd share some ideas for potentially including them.

Domestic mechanoids could each have a specific function they were built for, allowing them to do one type of job.
-Construction mechanoids could build and repair. Due to their lack of any creative spark and their standardized building patterns, they are unable to make items of any quality other than normal.
-Cleaning mechanoids could clean your home area and perhaps also help put out fires.
-Crafting mechanoids could take care of basic crafting tasks such as cutting stone bricks or smelting slag. They would be unable to handle more complex tasks such as tailoring, smithing, or drug synthesis.
-Gardening mechanoids could sow any plant that does not require a growing skill, as well as cut blighted plants and bushes/grass/etc, however, they would not be able to harvest plants.

Domestic mechanoids, being part of human society and not a mechanoid hive, would likely need some sort of fueling. My first idea for this is an option when selecting them that allows them to go into a "charging mode." Upon selecting this, you would give them a spot where they would essentially become a furniture item, allowing them to interact with power grids to fill an internal battery. I would imagine their power consumption would be somewhat high but not hugely so, perhaps 500-1000 while charging, since they would ideally be a mid or late game item.

Mechanoids could be repaired by pawns at the cost of steel, plasteel, and components. Ideally, you would not want domestic mechanoids to be near a combat zone.

Mechanoids would be sold by orbital traders and perhaps outlander groups rarely, and possibly offered as mission rewards.

Chicken Plucker

A feature like this making it to vanilla would be a gift to modders all around