CAn I change a number or the frequency of raiders?

Started by Dstayer, July 23, 2014, 05:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dstayer

Hello everyone!
After several hours of game raiders appear so frequently that my colonists shooting or mooving dead bodies most of the time. Can I change a number of raiders or the frequency of raiders appearing?
Thank you!

Crazyape98

It is dependent on the AI you chose to start.  Each one has a different minIntervalBigThreats , so you will have at least that much time.  It is random though and could be longer.  As far as giving yourself more time you can either mod the def I mentioned above to  make it longer, or go into your save file and change your story teller to an easier one.

Dstayer

Thank you!
Can I some way change minIntervalBigThreats? Maybe in save file...
Easier one story teller is to boring. I'd just like to have a  minIntervalBigThreats more longer than now, becouse colonists go mad after seeing to much dead body avery 2-3 days. ^)

BetaSpectre

number not so much in the long run, but as others have shown frequency is changeable.

Alpha 6 will alter the system hopefully limiting the amount of raiders that can ever spawn.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Undecided

Quote from: BetaSpectre on July 23, 2014, 02:23:51 PM
number not so much in the long run, but as others have shown frequency is changeable.

After finally hitting raid spawns of 1000+ (!) pawns, I finally decided to muck about in the save files. So here's a crash course for you. There are two methods you can take: one is altering the game files to change the settings of the storytellers, but it always carries the minor risk of screwing up your game. So backup the file first!

Method 1: Save editing. You can't modify storytellers, but you can change which one is active in a save. So basically this lets you toggle difficulty levels without restarting a game.

1) Open your save file in a text editor. These are usually stored under c:\users\<usernamehere>\appdata\localnow\LudeonStudios\Rimworld\saves
2) Search for <storyteller>
3) Under that there are two things you can modify; the <def> (the name of the storyteller in control) and the <incidentMaker Class=" which controls the type of events you get (bad versus good ones).

Unfortunately, basically any storyteller aside from Phoebe will still send game-breaking raids if you play long enough. This is because all of them -- except Phoebe -- have difficulty multipliers based on how old the colony is. So it will inevitably beat you; it's just a matter of time. But Phoebe sends pathetically easy raids that can be stopped with a half-douzen turrets, so using her is effectively the same as turning all raids off. If you're okay with that, then stick with this.

Method 2: Editing Storyteller Files. As usual, backup stuff you modify because these are core game files.

1) Open the BaseStorytellers.xml file. This is located under <Rimworld Main Directory>\Mods\Core\Defs\StorytellerDefs.
2) Here you can tweak pretty much any difficulty factor. Since you seem to find raids problematic, what you probably want to modify are...
3A) <minIntervalBigThreats> How often raids occur. If you like facing down increasingly massive raids, but just want a larger break between them to clean up the map and repair your base, just crank this up higher.
3B) <challengeScale> This is basically the difficulty multiplier over time. By default, raid difficulty increases based on the formula of
([# of Colonists] + [# of Turrets]*0.4). But challengeScale seems to further multiply this by the age of your colony, and as mentioned, there appears to be no limit on this so any challenge scale variable will inevitably lead to the colony being overwhelmed. Remove this line, or decrease the multiplier to crank down its impact.

Hope this helps until they cap raiders in the next patch.

TrashMan

This really should be tweaked. At least in DF there is some limit, but here?

I'm being attacked by so many tribesman or pirates that my game slows down to a crawl. It's getting rediculous. Especially since the AI does NOT take into account your colony (number of colony, defenses).
So you can have a 4-man colony attacked by 60 pirates

StorymasterQ

Well, realistically, raiders don't really care how many colonists you got, nor your defenses, but mainly your resources. So if your 4-man colony has enough food to feed a nation, then 60 raiders will most definitely want to have some of that.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

bobucles

Raiding parties could definitely use some higher value units to limit the amount of spam and lag that happens later in the game. To give some ideas:

Tribesman
- Muffalo riders (heavy gun walkers + food!)
- Battering rams (ultra tough melee, spawns crew?)
- Catapults (Slow rolling heavy guns, throws high impact rocks kinda like a mortar)
- Chariots/Cavalry (fast attack, sword or bow)
- Heroes (morale bonus, high stats)

Pirates
- Discarded battle tank (heavy armored siege w/grenade launcher type of weapon, metal)
- APC (spawns handful of crew, defense runner, battering ram melee, armor)
- Rolling artillery (long range, slow, indirect, time to set up)
- Assault jeeps (fast attack, variety of weapons, fire on the move, moderate armor)
- Android combat unit (heroic stats, more morale, metal)

It takes a while to develop new units, but I hope these reskinned ideas help.