How one find joy in game without mods?(please help play vanilla again)

Started by WolfgangPolska, September 15, 2019, 05:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WolfgangPolska

I play the game since very  first alphas began to pour out. And since like Alpha 17 i cant play without mods. It is just unbearable for me, every 5 of 10 min I feel game is lacking something. Now I have modlist of like 50+ mods and cant stop adding, and game looks like a pawn with too many crude bionics. It is just clusterfuck of content. How do I fight the urge to mod the heck out of rimworld. Please help :c
I have no idea how, but it works!!!

LWM

The answer is to chose your mods carefully so they play well with each other  ;D

Archotech limbs as opposed to "Primitive Bionics" or whatever the mod is.

Limdood

yep, I'll second that....grab all the mods you want, BUT make careful lists and only enable the ones you want for a certain playstyle....Running EPOE with Rim of magic, Combat extended, Lovecraftian monsters, and a bunch of additional turrets and weapons...will give you a haphazard, ridiculous experience where key features of each mod are unbelievably OP or utterly useless.

Decide what kind of game you want to play, then grab only the mods that will make that kind of game more fun.  Take it a step further by setting up your scenario custom to augment the specific type of game you want as well...maybe slower research and magic or lovecraft mods for a low-tech game...maybe set-up camp mod, and increased map events and locations mods with faster movement and drastically reduced mass for a nomadic or multi-colony game.

Canute

Mod's are like drugs.
Once you taste them you want them more and more.
Yeah it is hard to play a vanila gameplay, once you played with mods before.
You will miss features or improvements at the handling that lower some micromanagment.

But at the past i allways played at first a plain vanilla colony each new version (because i needed to wait for all these mods to be updated) before i start to play with mods again.

But without mods i would abandon rimworld long time ago. These mod's can change the game at many ways, so it worth to start a new colony with some new mods.

Bozobub

I played completely mod-free until "1.0".  I still only run 15 mods or so, mostly QoL besides RTFuse and Prepare Carefully.
Thanks, belgord!

Kirby23590

There's something called Scenario Editor, when picking choosing a scenario and editing a pre-existing one.

You can remove event you don't like like toxic fallouts and infestations you can walk around in the opens without roofing your entire colony and allowing you to make mountain colonies without to worry with those angry bugs trying to kill ya...

And for !!FUN!! challenges, you can have a permanent toxic fallout or volcanic winter changing up the way you play the game.

Or turn everyone into boomalopes, by making all pawns explode when they die!

Or mess with the Stats Multiplier by making making Shield Belts have ridiculous high energy so ranged weapons are worthless against them or flimsy meaning shield belts aren't worth it. Or returning the Doors back into whey were back in the older Alphas and Betas by making them open fast again! Or making everyone into super miners and fast chefs! Etc...

Scenario Editor is your best friend in Vanilla and Modded! If you want a different experience or a challenge!

But yeah, i have like 50 mods active... I can't say that it's going to be hard going back to vanilla at least for me... But the Scenario Editor should give something interesting like having a starting triple rocket launcher at the start or disabling events or how many colonists you start...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Pangaea

Quote from: Bozobub on September 16, 2019, 06:44:01 PM
I played completely mod-free until "1.0".  I still only run 15 mods or so, mostly QoL besides RTFuse and Prepare Carefully.

Same here. I like the original gameplay and don't see a reason to currently drastically alter it with a zillion mods. That said, I do run some QoL mods like common sense and suchlike, an even have slightly altered content with Packaged meals, to try to combat the bottomless horror of "ate without a table".

Honestly, I think one can have a lot of fun with the vanilla game by just accepting what happens instead of seeking perfection at every turn.

But if going down the mods route, try to have a "theme" for a game instead of just throwing in everything you find. I'd also recommend to play slower (not semi-constant at 3x speed) and get invested into your pawns and what happens with them.

Of course, everybody may have done this already and I'm just earlier in the curve because I got to the game later. We'll see... *shrug*

LWM

I mean, even if you want to add both magic and more missile launchers, that's fine too.  But I suggest adding mods one at a time and playing for a while to make sure they work well before moving on to the next.

Gadfly

Long time without any gameplay altering mods, eventually I just wanted to be able to fix noses, so EPOE it is.

Numbers is another mod I can't go without.

Tried other mods, but only like themed mods like medieval times. To much OPness in som of the mods.

Bozobub

Fewer mods = tighter game, in many ways.  This is true of many games, of course — Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim are perfect examples, with similarly large mod communities — but RimWorld REALLY shows the pros and cons of of going mod-crazy very well ::) ;) .

The main reason I avoid too many mods, even for QoL, is you lose the basic "flavor" of the game in some ways, if that makes any sense.  Even the less-desirable quirks of a game can add to this in many ways; full colony genocide via upset squirrel, anyone?

There's also the basic issue, that *most* (although not nearly all) mods that alter content, also make the game significantly easier.  That's not necessarily a "problem", per se, but again, it changes the basic feel of the game in a fundamental way ???.

I have zero issues with huge modlists, mind you, at least until someone wants help debugging one.  You do you!  But you may want to consider adding mods in small steps, rather than huge chunks.  This will a) probably fit your tastes better, overall, and b) will let you (and/or us) find and fix problems MUCH easier.  And no, I'm not overemphasizing that at all :P.
Thanks, belgord!

LWM

Quote from: Bozobub on September 19, 2019, 09:20:13 AM
The main reason I avoid too many mods, even for QoL, is you lose the basic "flavor" of the game in some ways, if that makes any sense.  Even the less-desirable quirks of a game can add to this in many ways; full colony genocide via upset squirrel, anyone?

Any mod that limits the power of the killer squirrel is NOT "QoL" as far as I am concerned.  It's a game-changer.