Rimworld doesn’t start after Catalina Update

Started by Darkshire, October 04, 2019, 10:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkshire

I'm using the most recent Rimworld update on macOS 10.13.6.

Rimworld seems to crash every time I try to open it using Steam. When I start-up Rimworld, it says "Last time you opened Rimworld, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Would you like to reopen those windows? [Don't Reopen, Reopen]".

Clicking either of these options crashes the game, and not clicking either option crashes the game too.
Attached is the .txt file for the crash log.
I tried rebooting my computer, and that didn't seem to help.

Edit: I uninstalled and reinstalled Rimworld, which didn't solve anything. I also updated macOS to 10.14.4, which also didn't solve anything. The only difference is that now it no longer throws the crash log.

Canute

Hi,
sorry the mac log don't look familar for me.
But many problem happen from old video driver. Not sure if you need to update them self or this happen with the macOS update too.

Darkshire

Hmmm, I don't think macOS even has video driver updates. The mac's video driver is usually built into the OS itself I think.

klhsn

After the Update on my 2013 MacBook Air Steam works just fine. But when I try to start Rimworld it starts also but stops at ,Initialising' on the start screen and throws the beachball up.
Uninstalling Steam and Rimworld didn't help.
Any ideas?

Tynan

I'm trying to figure out if RimWorld is actually systemically broken after a MacOS update or if these are machine-specific issues.

Any other MacOS users with Catalina can comment? Does your game work?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Darkshire

This originally happened to me in High Sierra, but the problem remains even after the Catalina update.

vnihoul77

Yes,
I post this log : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=49619.0

And then I update to catalina, now, everything is fine ..

Anarcraft

Some mod, or a combination thereof, causes a crash once you update to macOS 10.15, but I'm not sure which one(s).  Vanilla appears to run fine.

mindlar

I updated to Catalina on my mac laptop (mid-2015 macbook pro) on Friday. Everything has been working fine for me.

Darkshire

I think this may have been caused by a corrupted save file or cache.

The crash log says
Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

So it's probably some error caused by my game not saving or quitting correctly.

Tynan

Quote from: Darkshire on October 14, 2019, 03:07:29 PM
I think this may have been caused by a corrupted save file or cache.

The crash log says
Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

So it's probably some error caused by my game not saving or quitting correctly.

That looks more like bad memory, bad CPU, or some deep hardware driver screwing up. You can get software to test your memory.

Tynan

I have moved this thread to Support.

Quote from: klhsnWhen I unsubscribe from all mods at the workshop and also delete the folders in the mod folder manually, is there any chance that after a reinstallation mods affect the game? Where can I find the log file? The path at the forum doesn't help me to find it somehow. Thanks! :)

You need to make sure you're deleting the right 'mod folder'. If you delete the "Mods" folder in the base game you'll delete all the core game content and it will probably not load.

This thread has a list of steps you should follow to reset the game to a working state. Please follow those steps now.

If you still have trouble after that, please post your log file. Your log file should be here:
Users/<UserName>/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

And if it's not there, please let us know!

klhsn

Thank you for your help Tynan - unfortunately it didn't help. But here is the log, maybe this could solve this issue.

Nevertheless - Thanks again for your effort!

Initialize engine version: 5.6.5f1 (2cac56bf7bb6)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
2019-10-19 22:17:07.253 RimWorldMac[1529:17333] Metal devices available: 1
2019-10-19 22:17:07.254 RimWorldMac[1529:17333] 0: Intel HD Graphics 5000 (low power)
Initializing Metal device caps: Intel HD Graphics 5000
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/TextMeshPro-1.0.55.56.0b11.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/TextMeshPro-1.0.55.56.0b11.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
- Completed reload, in  0.067 seconds
Platform assembly: /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
UnloadTime: 2.507368 ms
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 294100
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561198201051323 [API loaded no]
RimWorld 1.0.2408 rev749

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Metal RecreateSurface[0x108f4e860]: surface size 1440x900
Platform assembly: /Users/Felix/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/System.Xml.Linq.dll (this message is harmless)
Receiving unhandled NULL exception
Obtained 12 stack frames.

rave1976

Hello!

Same issue here. Already unsubscribed from Mods, deleted folders, deinstalled Rimworld, restarted Mac and Steam... installed Rimworld... but still no chance to play. Game still freezes at message "initializing...".

Here`s our log:

Initialize engine version: 5.6.5f1 (2cac56bf7bb6)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
2019-10-19 22:59:58.797 RimWorldMac[539:5695] Metal devices available: 1
2019-10-19 22:59:58.797 RimWorldMac[539:5695] 0: Intel Iris Pro Graphics (low power)
Initializing Metal device caps: Intel Iris Pro Graphics
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/TextMeshPro-1.0.55.56.0b11.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/TextMeshPro-1.0.55.56.0b11.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
- Completed reload, in  0.022 seconds
Platform assembly: /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
UnloadTime: 1.160597 ms
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 294100
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197970715737 [API loaded no]
RimWorld 1.0.2408 rev749

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Metal RecreateSurface[0x108d5df80]: surface size 1920x1080
Platform assembly: /Users/stefanie/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/System.Xml.Linq.dll (this message is harmless)
Receiving unhandled NULL exception
Obtained 12 stack frames.

Please help. Thank you!

Tynan

The last informative entry is

Metal RecreateSurface[0x108f4e860]: surface size 1440x900

This is the Apple video driver initializing. So it's apparently hanging at some point during video driver initialization.

Can you look at your video drivers? Is there a driver update you can try?