Rimworld doesn’t start after Catalina Update

Started by Darkshire, October 04, 2019, 10:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chorizo

Quote from: ItchyFlea on December 05, 2019, 11:59:59 PM
Had a report via email that a Catalina user was able to get the game running by running this command: chmod +x /path-to-game-executable
However their issue was that the game would simply come up saying that it couldn't run.

This command may not work for those who are affected by the stuck at initialising issue, but it probably wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

I had similar problem (probably exact same) as your user. When you attempt to open the game after a fresh installation (from zip file) you get an error:

"The application 'RimWorldMac' cannot be opened"

Version: RimWorld1-0-2408Mac (DRM Free)

This is how I resolved:

- Open terminal

cd /path/to/rimworld/folder/with/app//RimWorldMac.app/Contents/MacOS

ls -lah

rw-rw-rw-@ 1 user  staff    60M Dec 13  2017 RimWorldMac

chmod 777 RimWorldMac

ls -lah

rwxrwxrwx@ 1 user  staff    60M Dec 13  2017 RimWorldMac

Now you should be able to right click and open as you normally would. It appears the extractor doesn't add the necessary execute permissions to the binary executable which causes this issue.

I tried chmod -x but it didn't end up adding the executable permissions, but chmod 777 worked.

Brrainz

I was asked to repost this here. I had problems installing RimWorld on my Mac for development and testing and got it working:

Just a quick update from me. Latest Catalina (10.15.2) on a 2015 iMac and at first I could not get standalone RimWorld running, but after running

Quotechmod +x /Applications/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/MacOS/RimWorldMac

and then holding the ctrl-key while right-clicking RimWorld and choosing "Open", Catalina asks if I want to allow it to run. After choosing "Open" in that dialog too, it whitelists the app and starts just fine.

/Andreas Pardeike aka Brrainz

slammato

catalina 10.15, 2018 MacBook Pro
I've had a few conversations with support, and am unable to get the game to open. (also, what are people doing with the "chmod" stuff? any hand holding on that process?)

however, I have been able to play v.2059 locally, but the game gets pretty limiting when trying to put mods into it.

i've also been playing on Steam with the (unstable) beta, but again, i'm left wondering if something isn't right with the mods i'm trying to run (mainly, Save our Ship 2 being of issue).

Has there been any progress on this issue?

Thanks

Tynan

We are working on it and I hope to have an update out that should help with the issue during February.

I remain sorry that this is occurring.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

slammato

Quote from: Tynan on January 30, 2020, 03:23:29 AM
We are working on it and I hope to have an update out that should help with the issue during February.

I remain sorry that this is occurring.

Thank you, Tynan! I truly appreciate the amount of work you've put into this game and that you continue to put work in. Also, I'm pretty psyched for that update!

Tynan

My hope is that with the new Unity version, this is fixed in the 1.1 unstable branch release (see ludeon.com/blog). Can anyone confirm that?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

tellerjunge

hey,

made an account just to say that it works now.
thank you :)

simulacra4life

Was this issue ever resolved?  I haven't been able to get the February update to work, and now this most recent update has the same issue.  I'm running Catalina on a MacBook Pro, and I tried the chmod stuff in Terminal with no effect--the newly downloaded version still "can't be opened."  I use the DRM-free version rather than Steam.

Ardesco

Just had the same issue with the latest version I downloaded today.  Looks like a permissions error as previously noted.  Fixed by running the following after downloading and extracting it:

chmod 777 RimWorld1-1-2647Mac/RimWorldMac.app/Contents/MacOS/RimWorld\ by\ Ludeon\ Studios

Would be good to know what permissions it really needs rather than going full on 777

simulacra4life

Hallelujah!  At last, that code worked for me.  Thanks, Ardesco!