Ludeon Forums

Ludeon Forums

• October 17, 2019, 02:43:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [1.0] (WIP) PsiTech - Harness psychic phenomenon!  (Read 227 times)

K

• Drifter
  • Glory to the Machine God!
    • View Profile
[1.0] (WIP) PsiTech - Harness psychic phenomenon!
« on: October 11, 2019, 01:15:48 PM »

PsiTech is a mod I've been working on for a while that adds psionics into the game. Unfortunately, real life has made it difficult for me to work on for the past couple months so I've decided to put it up as it is right now to get feedback for when I do have time to work on it. It's (I believe) bug free right now, and there's just content missing that would be in a final release.

Things that are implemented right now:
  • Three tiers of psionic abilities with 31 total abilities implemented right now.
  • A system to determine the psychic power of a pawn. Right now, psychic sensitivity is the primary factor as well as a new stat called essence, which I shamelessly stole from Shadowrun. Cybernetically augmented pawns will lose psionic ability depending on how many parts they have. This is primarily to balance against psionic-cybernetic super-commandos which would entirely destroy the balance.
  • A training system inspired by XCOM. You can train a pawn with up to 14 abilities, but it will take a very long time. Pawns can't be used while training.
  • A nice little UI window to manage your psionic pawns with.
  • A new, rare resource that can only (for now) from psychic artifacts.
  • Generally all the framework I need to complete the mod.

Things that need to be implemented:
  • Remaining abilities, particularly tier 3 abilities.
  • The entire equipment system. In the future weapons and equipment will be available exclusively for psionic pawns.
  • Actually good art, sound effects, and all the other assets that make mods good.
  • Raids by a psionic faction to make the psychic sensitivity system more interesting. These might come after a full release.
  • Perhaps some kind of auto-cast system. Right now all active abilities have to be manually cast, which is more micromanagement heavy than I'd like. They do have long cooldowns and are supposed to be high-impact combat changing type things instead of a primary combat tool, so maybe there isn't a need for this.
  • Perhaps a UI that gives an overview of every psionic pawn and the ability to assign training, ect. Right now the UI is on a per-pawn basis, which might be a little more cumbersome to manage than desirable, particularly with large bases.

At any rate, the mod is perfectly playable right now, but there's a couple of mechanics that aren't really explained. You need to build a training tube and assign a pawn to it to unlock the psi UI. After the UI is unlocked all training is handled through it. Improve your pawn's focus and energy nodes to unlock new ability slots.

And here's the download:
Dropbox

Ruisuki

• Colonist
  • Hunter of Pinochet's followers
    • View Profile
Re: [1.0] (WIP) PsiTech - Harness psychic phenomenon!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 11:45:54 PM »

this sounds so cool. like a more realistic (since vanilla already has a psychic framework, just one thats underutilized) version of rimworld of magic. Cant wait to see what the actual abilities are.

Kirby23590

• Planetologist
  • Full Metal Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 09:19:02 PM »

OOooooo...

Can't wait to try this, once i get my main PC back where Steam and Rimworld is, when comes back while typing in my mom's old laptop.

As a fan of Psychics and using them in XCOM. Can't wait to try it out...

I really like seeing magic in Sci-fi but actually being part of it and something out of fantasy. :D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

K

• Drifter
  • Glory to the Machine God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 11:11:22 PM »

I'm more of a techno-magic type myself anyway which is why I made it the way it is.

I tried to keep it all as lore-consistent as I could, too. Of course, the lore does say that the psychic abilities of archotechs are beyond all human comprehension...