[1.1] (WIP) PsiTech - Harness psychic phenomenon!

Started by K, October 11, 2019, 01:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K

PsiTech has been fully released so this thread is now locked. Please refer to this post in the releases forum instead.

PsiTech is a mod I've been working on for a while that adds psionics into the game. Thanks to the wonderful quarantine that many of us are now living under, I've managed to make quite a bit of progress on it recently.

Things that are implemented right now:

• Three tiers of psionic abilities with 45 total abilities.
  • A system to determine the psychic power of a pawn. Right now, psychic sensitivity is the primary factor as well as a new stat called essence, which I shamelessly stole from Shadowrun. Cybernetically augmented pawns will lose psionic ability depending on how many parts they have. This is primarily to balance against psionic-cybernetic super-commandos which would entirely destroy the balance.
  • A training system inspired by XCOM. You can train a pawn with up to 14 abilities, but it will take a very long time. Pawns can't be used while training.
  • A nice little UI window to manage your psionic pawns with.
  • A new, rare resource that can only be extracted from psychic artifacts or created after much research.
  • Psychic armors usable by psionic pawns, granting various bonuses.
  • A system to upgrade any weapon to be psionic, granting accuracy and cooldown bonuses to ranged weapons and damage and cooldown bonuses to melee weapons. This system is constructed to work with any modded weapon as well.
  • A highly configurable autocasting AI that can be used to autocast active abilities.
  • Raids by a psionic faction that also utilizes psionic abilities. They can be very dangerous!
  • Some awesome art courtesy of Emma Caraway.
  • Some awesome sound effects courtesy of A Privacy Company.
There's a couple of mechanics that aren't really explained. You need to build a training tube and assign a pawn to it to unlock the psi UI. After the UI is unlocked all training is handled through it. Improve your pawn's focus and energy nodes to unlock new ability slots.

And here's the download:
Dropbox

Changelog

RC4 (30.4.20)
* Fixed a bug that caused "data bleed" between saves.
* Fixed a bug that allowed for multiple pawns to enter the same psychic trainer.

RC3 (26.4.20)
* Fixed a bug that prevented psychic weapons from displaying their stat offsets.
* Rebalanced psychic weapons.

RC2 (26.4.20)
* Fixed a bug that caused issues when awakening a pawn.

RC1 (25.4.20)
* Overhauled the training system to allow queuing of abilities for training.
* Added some more new art, including an awesome preview image.
* Added new sound effects courtesy of tinykidtoo.
* As always, fixes abound.

The Cabal Update (15.4.20)
* Added a psionic faction who will raid you if you've researched deep enough into psionics.
* Nerfed Mindmelt.
* Probably a bunch of fixes.

Autocast Update (13.4.20)
* Fully implemented autocasting system. The system is highly configurable to allow a range of custom behaviors.
* Some more new visual assets, primarily new effects for Psi storm and Psi rally, as well as a "pointer" effect on targeted casts. The pointer effect is not done yet.
* A few balancing changes (nerfs to Mindfray and Inspire, whose OP-ness was brought out by the autocast system).
* Major performance improvements.
* Some more bug fixes, as always.

1.1 and Visual Update (4.4.20)
* Updated to 1.1.
* Added a ton of new art courtesy of Emma Caraway.
* Half-implemented autocasting system. It's not done, but I can't disable it to put out this update. Use at your own risk. It shouldn't break anything, but it may not work properly either.
* Some bug fixes for equipment.

A Christmas Present (25.12.19)
* Implemented equipment system, which means that every tech tree node now has a purpose!
* Added psionic weapons. Any weapon (except single fire devices and grenades) can be upgraded to be psionic, giving benefits when used by trained pawns. Upgraded weapons are denoted with a (P) in their label.
* Added psionic armors. Three robes, a hood, and three sets of power armor are available, with different benefits. Art is very bad/stolen from base game.
* Psychic artifacts can be crafted with the proper research.
* Athenium can be crafted from plasteel and gold by a properly trained pawn.
* Psychic foil helmets can be crafted using steel and athenium at the psychic workbench.
* Added three new tier 1 abilities and a research node to unlock them - psi empathy.
* Fixed some bugs and balanced some things. In particular, armor penetration bonuses now work and all abilities are unlocked by their proper researches now.

Big Feature Update (20.12.19)
* Implemented remaining tier 3 abilities for a total of 6 tier 3 abilities.
* Added currently useless defensive abilities to each tier.
* Added a new tier 2 ability, mindlash, which stuns attackers for a short time.
* Target stats now have an impact on the battlefield tier 2 passives. You can't read a mechanoid's thoughts.
* Fixed several bugs where mental states wouldn't work properly, leading to every state resulting in aimless wandering.
* Various balancing changes, including limits on dodge chances and changes to Athenium's properties.
* Refactored many things.

Bugfix (25.10.19)
* Psychic Workbench can actually be used now.

Ruisuki

this sounds so cool. like a more realistic (since vanilla already has a psychic framework, just one thats underutilized) version of rimworld of magic. Cant wait to see what the actual abilities are.

Kirby23590

OOooooo...

Can't wait to try this, once i get my main PC back where Steam and Rimworld is, when comes back while typing in my mom's old laptop.

As a fan of Psychics and using them in XCOM. Can't wait to try it out...

I really like seeing magic in Sci-fi but actually being part of it and something out of fantasy. :D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

K

I'm more of a techno-magic type myself anyway which is why I made it the way it is.

I tried to keep it all as lore-consistent as I could, too. Of course, the lore does say that the psychic abilities of archotechs are beyond all human comprehension...

Ruisuki

how many building fixtures can we expect from this mod? I see you mentioned a training tube, will that suffice or will there be more? Any dimensions for them, if so?  Will I need a big room to contain them

K

I've tried not to add too many new buildings. There's the training tube, which has the same dimensions as a cyptosleep casket and needs to be accessible from the side the same way that building does. There's also a workbench where all the recipes are consolidated, though I haven't added too many of those yet, and it's 3x1.

Since training pawns can take a while you want multiple training tubes to parallelize, but you can have a functional setup with just one of each of the two buildings I mentioned.

RaptorX

Cant open bills tab, get this error on the Psychic workbench:

Exception filling tab RimWorld.ITab_Bills: System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
at RimWorld.ITab_Bills.get_SelTable () <0x0003c>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) RimWorld.ITab_Bills.FillTab_Patch1 (object) <0x00b13>
at Verse.InspectTabBase/<DoTabGUI>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0 () <0x00118>

Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.Log:ErrorOnce(String, Int32, Boolean)
Verse.<DoTabGUI>c__AnonStorey0:<>m__0()
Verse.ImmediateWindow:DoWindowContents(Rect)
Verse.<WindowOnGUI>c__AnonStorey0:<>m__0(Int32)
UnityEngine.GUI:CallWindowDelegate(WindowFunction, Int32, Int32, GUISkin, Int32, Single, Single, GUIStyle)

K

Quote from: RaptorX on October 24, 2019, 08:58:54 PM
Cant open bills tab, get this error on the Psychic workbench:

I don't know how I missed this one. I never gave the workbench a thingClass...

Anyway, it's fixed now. The only implemented recipe right now is a more efficient Athenium reclamation recipe though.

K

I've just put out a big update with a ton of new content, in particular new tier 3 abilities, and a bunch of various fixes, balance changes, and refactors. You can now train a pawn to their full capacity, filling every ability slot.

I made a lot of changes in this version, so if you're one of the few people playing with this WIP version feel free to yell at me if I broke anything. I don't think I did, but you never know.

K

I've just put out another big update which adds the psychic equipment system. This update gives a purpose to every node in the "upper level" of the tech tree, which until now was useless. Weapons can now be upgraded to be psychic and psychic power armor and cult-ish robes can be created. With the currently implemented feature set, it's possible to create overpowered psionic melee ninjas, though it would take quite a while to get there during normal play.

I'd also like to ask any artist who'd be willing to create art for the mod to message me. I'm no artist and I currently don't have one to help create art assets for the mod. Art is needed for the things in the mod, primarily apparel, and icons are needed for abilities that show up on the gizmo bar.

K

I am still working on it, albeit quite slowly. It's more or less content complete if you want to play with it, with the notable exceptions of psychic raiders which I haven't implemented yet. The art and sound assets are also placeholders right now and look pretty bad.

Currently I'm working on adding autocast functionalities which will form the basis of the psychic raider AI in the future. Progress is slow primarily because I don't really have the time to work on it right now and because I'm stuck tearing apart the AI system to figure out how to implement the functionality I want. Since the AI system is fairly complex, it's taking me a while to determine how to proceed.

Ruisuki

Sounds like your work inspired Tynan and the team!

K

Quote from: Ruisuki on February 24, 2020, 02:41:42 PM
Sounds like your work inspired Tynan and the team!

One would hope. It doesn't look like the psionics in Royalty work much like PsiTech.

For anyone who might be watching this mod, I still intend to finish it despite Royalty's release. I believe that the mechanics are different enough that this mod and the official expansion will offer significantly different experiences. However, I won't guarantee technical or mechanical compatibility with Royalty. Additionally, I don't intend to purchase Royalty so it will not be required for this mod. Hopefully there are still some people that want to play it despite Royalty's release.

lugaruclone

Honestly I never got any combat abilities from your mod so my experience using it was super different than Royalty. I would love to see both systems merged one day but even if not your specific abilities are really cool, original and systemically interesting.

Esterior

Hello just want to say that I'm starting to enjoy the content of your mod. Ill eventually buy royalty just for the sake of saying thanks, but I consider their psychic system inferior to most ability mods out there. I truly appreciate your hard work