Is it still worth playing on Linux for performance? Help with FPS.

Started by teknotel, October 19, 2019, 04:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teknotel

I have Linux installed but I just used to crash so often I stopped bothering and actually stopped rimworld for ages.

Trying to get back into it on PC but just cannot even get 30% in to what I want to do without the game dying to FPS lag. Here is a post I made on Reddit looking for help, has all my info on it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/djxeps/i_dont_get_it_anymore/

I am kind of on the verge of just accepting Rimworld doesnt run well for my playstyle, but I want to have one last attempt, either massively reducing mods or going back to Linux and reducing mods.

I always set out to build a nice base, get turrets around the outside and then work on getting nice armour and guns crafted and things to trade, before going out to explore the world and take factions on etc.

I just can't even get to the base being finished before my FPS lag is unplayable for me.

Is Linux still much better for performance? I noticed when I launch now it says Rimworld is 64 bit on windows.

Any help or advice is welcomed. I have played Rimworld for thousands of hours and I am just tired of spending so much time building up my base for it to die of fps so early on every time. I have literally never finished a playthrough and have been playing for years.

Canute

64 or 32 bit shouldn't have a hugh impact on the lag.
64 bit was needed if you wanted to play very large maps/world or use alot of mods because of the memory restriction of a 32 bit Operation system.
Since at the old version only the Rimworld Linux version got 64 bit, some people favoured these. But now all got 64 bit.

Unfortunately Rimworld isn't very well optimized and don't got multicore/thread support, so you prolly will encounter some lag when you got a big base with many pawn's and alot of animals.
The use of mod's that add new content will increase it further.

Pangaea

I am playing on Linux (Mint 19.2 Cinnamon) on an old-ish PC, and the game doesn't lag. So it's bound to be due to some of the mods you are running. Do you really need around 200 mods? If the issue is likely caused by the robot mods, why not just removed those?

teknotel

Quote from: Pangaea on October 19, 2019, 05:59:04 PM
I am playing on Linux (Mint 19.2 Cinnamon) on an old-ish PC, and the game doesn't lag. So it's bound to be due to some of the mods you are running. Do you really need around 200 mods? If the issue is likely caused by the robot mods, why not just removed those?

I guess I probably don't need 200 mods. I just used the modlist as I thought a steam collection would work fine as other people must be using it.

I just have never really been able to run a big base without the game dying to FPS.

In regards to the robots, I removed the robots ++ and added android tiers, however I think this made things dramatically worse.

I guess I dont need the robots but they are cool lol.

I would happily move all the mods that cause my game to die to fps, I just dont know which ones. The games great modded and some of the mods really improve on the game so its tough.

teknotel

Quote from: Canute on October 19, 2019, 05:41:22 PM
64 or 32 bit shouldn't have a hugh impact on the lag.
64 bit was needed if you wanted to play very large maps/world or use alot of mods because of the memory restriction of a 32 bit Operation system.
Since at the old version only the Rimworld Linux version got 64 bit, some people favoured these. But now all got 64 bit.

Unfortunately Rimworld isn't very well optimized and don't got multicore/thread support, so you prolly will encounter some lag when you got a big base with many pawn's and alot of animals.
The use of mod's that add new content will increase it further.

So would you say at this point there is no benefit at all for me to use Linux? Like I have linux installed, dual boot, but its so inconvenient to use it so would prefer to stay on windows.

Pangaea

If I can spit in: Haven't run Windows for many years, so don't know how much better or worse the game runs in Linux. But RimWorld is made natively for Linux, meaning there is no need for Wine, Lutris, PlayOnLinux and stuff like that. Sounds like you had the same issues on Windows, though? Therefore it sounds more like a modding issue than base game or operating system issue.

If you check out the log window, are there many red lined errors? Those could indicate where the bigger issues are, with which mods. Then you can try to remove those and see if the game experience improves.

I run mods too btw, just not nearly that many. If the game is wildly lagging (apart from when 200+ raiders are spawning), I'd think there is an incompatibility with some of the mods.

With that many mods, maybe the sequencing of them is an issue too? You can always try out this one: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=48518.0. With some luck it at least reduces the lag.

teknotel

Quote from: Pangaea on October 19, 2019, 06:30:58 PM
If I can spit in: Haven't run Windows for many years, so don't know how much better or worse the game runs in Linux. But RimWorld is made natively for Linux, meaning there is no need for Wine, Lutris, PlayOnLinux and stuff like that. Sounds like you had the same issues on Windows, though? Therefore it sounds more like a modding issue than base game or operating system issue.

If you check out the log window, are there many red lined errors? Those could indicate where the bigger issues are, with which mods. Then you can try to remove those and see if the game experience improves.

I run mods too btw, just not nearly that many. If the game is wildly lagging (apart from when 200+ raiders are spawning), I'd think there is an incompatibility with some of the mods.

With that many mods, maybe the sequencing of them is an issue too? You can always try out this one: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=48518.0. With some luck it at least reduces the lag.

Yes there are red errors right now, but I have no idea how to identify which mod they are from.

I am on Windows now btw, I struggle on Linux to be honest as I do not know where any of my folders or files are making it impossible for me to import config files etc.

Will try the mod sorter now and see if it helps, thanks a lot.

teknotel

I ran the program and it has reordered my mods, but I have the exact same red errors in the exact same order.

https://gist.github.com/46e39233ac58457b20794f5b8c18ae5a

Logs if anyone can help.

Pangaea

Quote from: teknotel on October 19, 2019, 07:08:35 PM
Yes there are red errors right now, but I have no idea how to identify which mod they are from.

I am on Windows now btw, I struggle on Linux to be honest as I do not know where any of my folders or files are making it impossible for me to import config files etc.

Sounds like it's easier to work with this in Windows since you are more familiar with that. However, the folder for various game data is underneath the ./config folder in your home/user area (My Documents, sort of):
/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios

Bozobub

RimWorld multithreads just fine, actually.  The issue is, that it uses the built-in scheduler in the OS to assign threads to cores, rather than a specialized one.  You'll find that RW both uses multiple threads AND most games have the exact same multi-core behavior.

Talking smack about RW's performance when running 200+ mods is rather silly.  Remember, every mod — that isn't a simple texture replacement or the like, that takes zero processing — adds stuff to process on *every single game tick*.  YES, this will slow down your game, period, and complaining when it happens is like getting PO'd at the entire world for letting you poke yourself in the eye ::).
Thanks, belgord!

Shurp

Funny you should mention that, that's exactly what my brother did when he poked himself in the eye.  "Why do you guys have to interrupt me when I'm talking?  I got distracted and poked myself in the eye while waving my hands around in frustration!  It's all your fault!"
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Pangaea

Slightly off topic (and tongue in cheek), but I wonder if there are many eye poking injuries in Italy?

teknotel

Quote from: Bozobub on October 20, 2019, 12:42:52 AM
Talking smack about RW's performance when running 200+ mods is rather silly.  Remember, every mod — that isn't a simple texture replacement or the like, that takes zero processing — adds stuff to process on *every single game tick*.  YES, this will slow down your game, period, and complaining when it happens is like getting PO'd at the entire world for letting you poke yourself in the eye ::).

I do understand this, I am looking for someone to help me identify the major problems so I can play what I would consider to be a full game.

I mean I did pick a mod collection called Rimworld 1.0 Stable mods. 

There are so many mods I dont think I can play without lol. I have culled it to 160 so far and have gone onto a smaller map. My thinking is that maybe someone could look at the logs I posted in both my games that have died to fps and maybe let me know if there are specific mods that might be causing me issues.

I dont want to remove mods I enjoy or that I find useful when they don't cause any issues. Thanks.

Pangaea

Have you studied the log yourself? I'm sure you are more familiar with the mods than we are -- at least more than I am. Go down to about line 800 and read from there.

There seem to be some mods from Alpha 13 and 16, which probably won't play too nicely with the game right now.

LWM

All the cool girls and boys run Linux.  It's clearly the way to go.  I am playing on a 2.6lb,<1000$US laptop and the only times I run into problems are when I have 10-15 Firefox windows open in the background with 4-20 tabs apiece....

But the actual useful part of this post:

These are the mods I am currently running:
Core
HugsLib
Rimworld Search Agency
[KV] Trading Spot - 1.0
ameiro anime hairs for 1.0
Xeva's Rimhair
RT Fuse
[XND] Profitable Weapons
[XND] Memorable Auroras
Uranium is Green
[FSF] No Default Shelf Storage
Various Space Ship Chunk
Dismiss Trader
More Harvest Designators!
Ponytail is Kawaii
Better Workbench Management
Shoo!
WM Hydroponics with lamps
Carcinoma spreads
[v1.0]-LinkableDoors
Dual Wield
Common Sense
More Sculpture
Dub's Paint Shop
Recipe icons
[1.0]-StockpileForDisaster
LWM's Deep Storage
Climate Cycle++
Meals On Wheels
1.0 - Imprisonment On The Go! (Make Pawns Prisoners Without Beds)
Crash Landing
Realistic Smokeleaf
[B19]GW-hair
Misc. MapGenerator
Tomb World
Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion
Wall Light
Facial Stuff 1.0
More Kawai For Facial Stuff
Simply More Bridges
Custom Mote Maker
Advanced Biomes
Interaction Bubbles
Gradient Hair
Epic Rivers
BetaTraps
Penoxycyline Is Medicine
Prayer Spots
Matching Embrasures
Donkeys
Bionic icons
Better Vanilla Masking
[1.0]Kan Colle hair style (Any)
Simple Chains
Opened Doors Don't Block Light
[1.0]Prosthetic Didgets
[RF] Rational Romance [1.0]
AutoOwl
Mortar Accuracy
Selected Reconnector
Jernfalk's Skeletal Legion
Beer is Alright
Variable Population
[WD] Partially-Passable Wind Turbines 1.0
Beautiful Water
Down For Me
Grow Pot in Pots
Animal Variety Coats
Uninstall Rimworld (No Walls)
[Ods] Mens Hair
Animated Marshes [1.0]
Animals Logic
[RF] Permafrost [1.0]
Better Pawn Control[ov
QualitySurgeon
Impassable Chest-deep Water
Common Ailments
Grazing Lands
Suppression
Fantastic Decor
Asperger's
[1.0] Apparel Organizer
Neuter Animals
Toggle Harvest
Workshop mod 1803983521
Skilled Stonecutting
Nirvana
ModSync RW - 1.0
[SYR] Marbled Marble
[FSF] Encounter Map Resources
Damage Indicators
Caribou are Reindeer
Dress Patients

Almost 100 mods.

So that's a LOT of hair mods, a bunch that change how one or two things look, and then a bunch that affect specific bits of logic.  There's not a whole lot there that gets run every tick....my deep storage mod is probably the worst, to be honest, and it's not too heavy (I hope).  But anything that involves hauling is (probably) going to be higher impact; anything that affects how pawns move is going to be (probably) higher impact; anything that checks if something happens all the time (common ailments maybe?) is probably a higher impact? Anything that adds 100485938 new things into the map at once will probably slow you down.  If Pangaea and Canute share mod lists, that might give you more idea of lightweight mods the cool kids who play on Linux use.

On a super practical note, you might start with a smaller list and work your way up and see if that helps?  Good luck - you're not the only one wresting with this problem.

--LWM