Unable to download Steam mods

Started by Fungus, October 28, 2019, 05:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

So, I'm one of those terrible people who refuse to use Steam. You could say I'm the opposite of a fanatic where they're concerned, but I won't go into that much here. However, one of the reasons why is because of the current situation: I have to get a steam account and log in to it in order to download RimWorld mods through their "Workshop", and maybe I need to generate my "Steam Key" too, who knows. It's been a while since I played so I'm not sure how the modding community currently stands, but that lock out on mod downloads for non-Steam users can eventually lead to a migration of modders using Steam's Workshop exclusively, meaning people like me are effectively barred access until we bite the bullet and get an account. Googling "RimWorld mods" leads to Steam as the first result, which gives me a really bad vibe. I reckon there will be a few mods out there that are unavailable to me right now, and that doesn't bode well.

Now, from what I've read, Steam has a setting that a developer can select in order to allow downloads without a Steam account, which is disabled by default. A quick search of games on Steam hasn't come up with any that I could download mods for, so maybe they removed this option. I certainly hope not. In my opinion it's a thinly veiled stick that Steam uses to beat players into engaging with their platform which they (used to, at least) silently place in the hands of the developer. It's subtle, manipulative and effective, and leads to them monopolising a user base.

Please, Tynan, turn it off if you can. I can't tell you how, all I can say is YOU (might) HAVE THE POWER! Unless you want all traffic to go through Steam. If that's the case I'll have to sadly (and bitterly) put aside RimWorld one day, and never recommend it to anybody again. From what I've read it might be difficult to find the toggle, so apologies in advance. I honestly believe it's the healthiest thing you could do for the game and the game industry at large, though. Too many games are inextricably bound to Steam and the quality of games being churned out on their platform is in a downhill spiral. If I were a dev I'd not want my game's community to become reliant on them at all. Then again, I wouldn't publish through Steam anyway, so it's a moot point.

Pangaea

*high five*

I am glad people like you still exist :)

Thankfully most serious modders offer non-shit (sorry, non-steam) downloads as well, for example via gibhub, so I've been able to get all the mods that I might be interested in. I wish they offered proper descriptions on github or the forum as well, but the main thing is to be able to download them.

Didn't know about that toggle you mention, but it sounds like a great idea for Tynan to ensure it's set the right way to reduce the risk of steam monopolising this game as well.

harpo99999

as a fellow hydro-phobe I also will NOT have anything to do with ANY state of hydro EVER, and while there are some mods suggested in hydro area, the mods that are not are very enjoyable.