"Occasional accents are allowed", but the form forbids them? [Name DLC]

Started by HonorisCreed, November 02, 2019, 04:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HonorisCreed

It is said in the Google document that occasional accents are allowed, however, the provided form does not allow any "special characters". I tried adding myself as the character, with Čiki as my last name.

Oddly, this forum is very outdated & lacks the option to link the text itself, so here are the links mentioned:

Google document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HmLwOYk8e_kyQ4nEEfHtLr-vvPb03vkaOntnrVlPKM0/pub
Form: https://rimworldgame.com/creative/index.php/creation
DLC: https://store.steampowered.com/app/367680/RimWorld_Name_in_Game_Access/

Tynan

We generally restrict names to English script because other content can be distracting to players, and the top priority is always to ensure the play experience is as distraction-free as possible. So, for example, we don't accept names in Asian scripts; they have to be anglicized to English characters.

In this case if it's not your legal actual name I don't think we'd accept it. If it is, and Unity supports it, we'd have to talk more about it since it'd be the first name with such an accent.

Some players do tend to go for 'attention-grabbing' names, so we have to set policies like this otherwise we'd see too many names with excessive accents just for the sake of it. Again, it's all about the final game and all those millions of play hours.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

HonorisCreed

My legal name is Aleksander 'Sale' Čiki. Will that suffice?

I used Unity before & I had no trouble inserting Slavic-Latin texts. Actually, I was even able to use Cyrillic texts in it.
I didn't know Rimworld was made in Unity though, that's pretty cool.

Tynan

Sure, that's fine for the accent if it's your real name on your birth certificate. We just don't want people abusing accents and if it's your actual name it's definitely not abuse.

Though I'm not sure 'Sale' is part of your legal name given you wrote it in quotes like a nickname?

HonorisCreed

Ah, yes. Sale is my nickname given to me in a church by my godfather.
My mother called me Sasha when I was very young so I suppose that could work too.
Though I would prefer it 'Sale' if that's alright with the game world?'

In my country, people are given nicknames in the church by their godfathers, religious or not.
Though that doesn't prevent them from being entitled to different nicknames.

Tynan

Quote from: HonorisCreed on November 13, 2019, 08:53:57 AM
Ah, yes. Sale is my nickname given to me in a church by my godfather.
My mother called me Sasha when I was very young so I suppose that could work too.
Though I would prefer it 'Sale' if that's alright with the game world?'

In my country, people are given nicknames in the church by their godfathers, religious or not.
Though that doesn't prevent them from being entitled to different nicknames.

What do your friends call you every day?