Steadfast and Iron-Willed traits' effect is clamped to a small effect again, 1.0

Started by Hasp, November 03, 2019, 01:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hasp

Hey guys,

So, I've got to pull some necromancy on this old issue, referenced and apparently solved in this thread:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34631.0

However, and I'm not sure where things went wrong again, but in 1.0 we have the issue again where Iron-Willed and Steadfast only reduce metal break levels down to 1% extreme, 16% major, and 31% minor thresholds. Considering that this is not the way that the traits are supposed to work, and it is an issue with vanilla settings and no mods installed, I can only assume that the issue has resurfaced somehow.

It is also worth mentioning that any mods that add traits that also try to reduce mental break rist are also clamped to the above values.

Pangaea

Good catch. This ought to be fixed. These traits seem fantastic when they show up on a person, but due to their small effect, it doesn't really amount to all that much.

Pangaea

There is also the flipside of these traits, where the negative type does offset the break thresholds with the listed percentages. This character is Depressive + Nervous.

It seems unfair that the negative type of the traits have the full effect, while the positive ones are barely noticeable.

Hasp

Aye, that's currently my biggest issue with it. Steadfast and Iron-willed are both very useful traits, but since they basically don't work, their effect is next to nothing. Meaning that Optimist, or Sanguine, with their +6 or +12 bonuses are pretty much objectively better than either Steadfast or Iron-willed. And yeah, as you mentioned, Pessimistic and Depressive still have their full mood penalties.

Tynan created a solution in the thread I linked above (quote below), and another dev responded to the thread saying that the issue was fixed, but it either wasn't or it was broken again at a later point. In either case, it means that any break threshold reducing perks are next to useless, which is really unfortunate and rather irritating in gameplay.

-------Quote-------

-----End Quote-----

Pangaea

Interestingly this is actually correct for a Very Neurotic (+14%) + Iron-willed character (-18%). -> 1%, 16% and 31%.

Hasp

The reason for that is because it adds 14%, and then reduces it by 18%. For anything that would normally conflict over a colonist's normal break point, things that alter it such as neurotic, too smart, etc., it counters it directly down to the "minimum" of 1/16/31, however, it's effect is supposed to reduce past that by default. So yeah. It works in specific circumstances, but not in the way it's originally intended to.