[1.0] Dessicated corpses don't burn (No bug/look for firefoam spots...)

Started by Pangaea, November 03, 2019, 10:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

To save some time over using a crematorium, I've built a stone building where corpses are tossed in. From time to time they're set alight with a molotov cocktails. Close (forbid) the door and wait. It works well, especially when pretty full, sometimes getting the max temperature of 2000C. However, what I've noticed (both with this approach and in 'nature') is that dessicated corpses refuse to burn. I find this pretty odd, particularly when everything around them is fully ablaze and the room is 2000 degrees.

Is this a bug, or is it meant to be like this?

Recently this room was full to the brim of fresh corpses, plus these two chaps. Everything else burnt in a 2000C furnace.

Canute

I can't verify this.
Just made a small burnpit, 12 corpse, 8 of them dessicated.
Throwing in a molotov, and the first corpses start to burn and ignite the others over time even the dessicated.

Maybe you just got an rare happening that these corpses didn't got ignite from the other fires around.
Or some mods you maybe use change anything.

Pangaea

Have tried a few more times, and the dessicated one doesn't burn. Everything around was fully ablaze. But one time a fresh corpses didn't burn too, with flames all around and 1500C or so, so perhaps it's not down to dessicated?

With such high temperature they should basically self-combust, at least that is what I have read, and what I have experienced earlier. Can't imagine any of the mods I run impact corpses, as I run a light mod-print.

Will keep watch over it some more, but this isn't the first time I've noticed it. It has happened in other saves as well. A huge pyre and once the dust settles, the few dessicated corpses were left untouched by the flames.

LWM

I know the desiccated skeletal legion corpses are not actual human corpses and don't burn.  Is it possible you've got some non-standard-human corpses mixed in there?

Pangaea

I've no idea what that is supposed to mean, unless it's a weird reference to the rehashing of a classic "I'll be back" movie from 30-ish years ago. The new one isn't bad - overuse of CGI and lack of acting and story aside - but I definitely preferred the originals.

Canute

You sure you posting belong to this thread ? :-)
Skeletal Legion
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46598
ofcouse another race mod could made their pawn's fireproofed too.
But this definitiv no vanilla bug unless you can reproduce it without mods.

Pangaea

Hadn't heard about that mod, and don't run stuff like that. It doesn't interest me. As mentioned earlier, I run few mods.

Don't know for sure whether this is a bug or not, but it's a behaviour I've noticed across several saves, so something seems amiss. Once the corpsehole is filled up again, I'll save and try to burn them several times and see what happens. So far the dessicated one has "survived" two 1500-2000C infernos.

LWM

In your save, reload with no mods at all and see if it happens, too ^.^

Kirby23590

Probably some mods do that making Dessicated corpses or spooky skeletons not burn...

But i think i had a random skeleton out in the desert in the edge of colony, i burned the gun with ignite everything. But the skeleton still stands...
I guess rain did it's thing?

I guess temperatures don't set bones on fire? Except fires from thrown by molotovs or fired from incendiary launchers? 

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Pangaea

Can't imagine any of the mods I use affect corpses, never mind specifically dessicated corpses. But I will run some tests when I have the room full again. Need some human raiders first, which isn't exactly very common in the late game.

Here is one of the furnaces that it survived.

Canute

The first pic show that one of these corpse are from the faction "The thiefs" is the other from the same faction ?
When they are from the same faction, do you maybe know if a mod add these faction ?
I found Thief's from Expanded Incidents, but that's a workshop only mod and i know you don't use steam like me.
Maybe post the modlist (Share logs button include the modlist).

Kirby23590

I think Thiefs are the same pirates faction from vanilla. Since pirates can have random faction names..

So i don't think they are from Expanded Incidents... They are just the Good old pirates from Rimworld...

Maybe it's their clothing making them not burn?

Pangaea

I don't use any mods that add factions or anything like that. The only mod I have that actually adds anything to the game is a very minor one that adds packed lunches. (Edit: Oh yes, I'm using a bionics mod too now, mainly for noses). The Thiefs is the normal pirate faction in the base game. They will get random names, and this is what they have in this save.

Haven't had *any* human raiders since last post, which is probably 1.5 years ago in-game. Mechs, mechs, mechs, and some more hordes of mechs. Sigh. By now the one dessicated corpse I have has almost evaporated from simple deterioration.

These are the mods I use (sorry but I can't be bothered to clean the code).
    <li>Core</li>
    <li>HugsLib</li>
    <li>AllowTool</li>
    <li>ModManager</li>
    <li>CommonSense</li>
    <li>Achtung</li>
    <li>BetterPawnControl-2.0.2</li>
    <li>Vanilla Bionics Expansion</li>
    <li>Numbers</li>
    <li>WorkTab</li>
    <li>Pharmacist</li>
    <li>PickUpAndHaul</li>
    <li>DefensivePositions</li>
    <li>MedicalTab</li>
    <li>AnimalTab</li>
    <li>WhileYoureUp</li>
    <li>RimworldSearchAgency</li>
    <li>MoreHarvestDesignators-1.0</li>
    <li>ShowDrafteesWeapon</li>
    <li>StackXXL</li>
    <li>Adaptive Cassie storyteller</li>
    <li>DontBlockDoorMod</li>
    <li>TraderDismissal</li>
    <li>RecipeIcons</li>
    <li>BionicIcons-master</li>
    <li>RF - Packed Lunches</li>

Kirby23590

Mechanoids become wayyyy too common in Late-game with tons of wealth. So that raider that's now a skeleton that has now almost evaporated is actually from the pirate raiders from the core.

What i don't like about is that mechs, mechs and mechs is that they are way too common to the point it's super common in just raiding you and just makes you miss human raiders raiding you. Sigh...

Did you try stripping the dessicated corpse or skeleton naked so that you can burn it or does it still not work?

Pangaea

Yes, I totally agree. The end game has way too many mech raids -- to the point I just get tired of them because there is no tactical difference. And especially those inferno cannon centipedes is total hell to fight. Especially when over 20 of the buggers show up. Argh! (just had a guy get permanent brain injury from a stray bullet - another vegetable). Wish the game would still throw a good amount of human raiders at us - even if they were very numerous. It's always very, very hard with so much wealth, but this is what I like about the 15-day onslaught. I usually get a lot of human raiders then, and the game is more fun and rewarding for it. And it's not like humans with marine armour and doomsday rockets are easy to fight...

Didn't try to strip the corpse, but I shouldn't think that would impact anything? Other corpses burn just fine with clothes on. Have started to build the ship parts, though, so at some point I'll trigger it. Based on previous games, that will mean hundreds upon hundreds of human raiders, so the corpseholes will fill up quickly. Then I should be able to test this some more. Both in the corpsehole, and probably in the "wild" because we can't haul them in between the non-stop raids.

The one dessicated I still have, that survived two infernos without burning, is down to 7 HP, so will probably turn to dust before more human raiders show up. Over a year since the last human raid :(