Animals...?

Started by Pangaea, November 08, 2019, 07:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B@R5uk

Quote from: Livingston I Presume on February 03, 2020, 04:34:35 PM
Quote from: B@R5uk on December 16, 2019, 08:46:59 AM
Well, there is my stable. Implementation of the best way to feed animals.  8)

Can animals use the Nutrient paste dispenser? Because if so what are the details and need to knows if any?

No, they don't. You need hungry colonist every now and then to fill freezer with NPM for them to eat.

Quote from: Canute on February 03, 2020, 04:48:25 PM
When the next colonist of you use the NPD you need to watch him.
1.Pause once he got a nutripastemeal,
2.draft him and he drop the nutripastemeal,
3.forbid it,
4.undraft so he will take a new one
5. repeat 2. until you got enough nutripastemeal on the ground for a few days for the animals.

Well, in my case it's a little bit trickier as my colonists eat fine meals from entire different freeser. I need to watch out for hungry one, draft him, drop food out of inventory and lead to animal freeser. Once there, I need to forbid entrance doors, as otherwise he will not take NPM but go to find fine meal. Than I do as stated above. Oh! And NPM should be allowed meal in meals policy.

Livingston I Presume

Quote from: Canute on February 03, 2020, 04:48:25 PM
No animals can't use the NPD.
When the next colonist of you use the NPD you need to watch him.
1.Pause once he got a nutripastemeal,
2.draft him and he drop the nutripastemeal,
3.forbid it,
4.undraft so he will take a new one
5. repeat 2. until you got enough nutripastemeal on the ground for a few days for the animals.

If you like to use mod's take a look at Replimat, it is a hightech version of the NPC and even got a kibble dispencer.

I thought it was too good to be true, sounds like far too much micro for me haha.  Cheers, for the mod suggestion though.

B@R5uk

Quote from: Livingston I Presume on February 03, 2020, 04:54:13 PMsounds like far too much micro for me haha.

Well, it is but depending on the herd size you need to do it once is a few days.

Canute

And it pretty quick done.
Just repeatly draft/undraft and you got 10 meals on the ground, then just forbid the next stack, ....
It is just important that you pause at the point he stand befor the NPD.

B@R5uk

Quote from: Canute on February 03, 2020, 05:14:23 PMJust repeatly draft/undraft and you got 10 meals on the ground, then just forbid the next stack, ...

Actually, when there is a large pile of meals lying around and the next unforbidden meal is far enough, you don't need to stop pressing "R" anymore, as hungry pawn prefer to grub new meal from the dispenser right away than to go for ready one on the ground.

Pangaea

Quote from: Livingston I Presume on February 03, 2020, 04:54:13 PM
sounds like far too much micro for me haha.  Cheers, for the mod suggestion though.

Exactly what I thought too when I read about that exploit way back. Besides, with 150+ animals, you'd probably be up shit creek with that trick anyway, and have to repeat it frequently.

SpaceCows

Quote from: Pangaea on November 08, 2019, 07:17:40 PM
Lately I've got a hankering for getting animals. Pigs are great for hauling. Cows for milk. Boomalopes for chemfuel (get them early). Muffalos for caravans, milk and wool. Cougars and panthers for hauling, if you can get them from traders or self-tames.

However, maybe this is too much?  :-\ Where do you draw the line?

The cow sleeps outside because there aren't enough beds in the barn. Again.

Wow, that's an awesome amount, especially the predators. How do you feed them all?!

I feel like I don't use animals enough! I've been trying to survive the ship warm-up. My most successful attempt so far has involved using all of my animals for defense.