[1.0.2408] Rimworld hangs on quit to OS, fills disk with log data

Started by perp, December 03, 2019, 04:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perp

Modlist attached as image.

Upon shutdown (Quit to OS), the game appeared to "hang" and became unresponsive. When I finally got around to force-closing the game (after several hours, went to do other things), it had filled the remaining space on disk with log data in output_log.txt (180 GB worth).

It would seem that the same rows are repeated over and over in the log:

Quote(Filename:  Line: 16)

C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/sound/SoundChannel.cpp(447) : Error executing m_FMODChannel->stop() (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )

(Filename:  Line: 16)

C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/sound/SoundChannel.cpp(447) : Error executing m_FMODChannel->stop() (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )

(and so on)

I've also attached a zip with the first 15K lines from the log. The above pattern starts at around line 14 000 and seems to continue until the end of the log.

(Almost 400 hours of playtime, first serious bug I've encountered so far. Pretty good record in my book.)

---

I should perhaps add that I did notice some occasional audio stuttering in the final hour (hours?) or so of this particular game session. Like very short (half a second long?) sections of background music repeating once every now and then. Never noticed that before. Thought it might be related since the log contains mostly FMOD audio stuff.

Canute

Hi,
at first could you try it without mods.
So we know it is a generel problem or happen from a mod.

If the plain game exit without problem, maybe try to identify the mod (point at RimEVE first).

But when the problem even happen at the plain game, do you use any special audio software. There was some issue's with FMOD in other reports not to start Rimworld or without sound.

perp

Not running any special audio software. Might have had Spotify open and idling in the background.

I've run this particular colony for about 50 hours or so with that very mod list, and only experienced this glitch once, which was last night. So I'm not sure it will ever happen again. Hopefully not. :)

And music mods (I use P-Music as well) are basically just a set of audio files, so I don't think they are to blame per se really... IMHO it feels more like either a bug in RimWorld itself, Unity or maybe FMOD. But if they are somehow problematic I can definitely live without them.

I'll see if it happens again and try disabling some stuff then.

Canute

Ok, but when things just happen once and you can't reproduce it, it is nearly impossible to find the source of it.
Until it happen again, i would call it a OS glitch.

Canute

That's a different case !
At the reddit post the logfile didn't got delete each rimworld start and grow up each start.
While your one got created by a repeating error.

Inggo

Hi. I'm also having this problem. Also, I noticed that while playing, the output log is getting filled with following:

C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/AudioSource.cpp(944) : Error executing channel->set3DPanLevel(spatialBlendLevel) (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )

C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/sound/SoundChannel.cpp(240) : Error executing m_FMODChannel->set3DSpread(spread) (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )

C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/AudioSource.cpp(945) : Error executing channel->set3DSpread(spread * 360.0f) (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )

C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/sound/SoundChannel.cpp(286) : Error executing m_FMODChannel->setPan(pan) (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )

C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/AudioSource.cpp(946) : Error executing channel->setPan(stereoPan) (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )

C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/sound/SoundChannel.cpp(313) : Error executing m_FMODChannel->getReverbProperties(reverbproperties) (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )

C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/AudioSource.cpp(960) : Error executing channel->getReverbProperties(&props) (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )

C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/sound/SoundChannel.cpp(304) : Error executing m_FMODChannel->setReverbProperties(reverbproperties) (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )

C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/AudioSource.cpp(982) : Error executing channel->setReverbProperties(&props) (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )

C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/sound/SoundChannel.cpp(472) : Error executing m_FMODChannel->setFrequency(m_Pitch * m_DopplerPitch * m_BaseFrequency) (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )

C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/sound/SoundChannel.cpp(462) : Error executing m_FMODChannel->setVolume(mixVolume) (The specified channel has been reused to play another sound. )

This is similar to what is happening in this thread: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=35212.0

I'm guessing it might be caused by mod or something is having problem with sounds? The mods we have in common with OP are the following:

- HugsLib
- HeatMap
- Wall Light
- Defensive Positions
- Dubs Bad Hygiene
- Replace Stuff
- RimHUD
- P-Music
- Hospitality
- Pick Up and Haul

I tried disabling P-Music, which seems to be the only common sound/music-related Mod with OP but it still floods my error log, with the same symptoms on exit.

I also tried disabling the rest of the mods I have in common listed above except for HugsLib. It crashes my modded game that produces the errors, but it seems to be okay on a fresh game. However, the same fresh game with the same mod list as a modded game is also error-free.

I'm not sure if this is related to a mod, or if the game is simply having trouble playing sounds for a lot of things. The game seems to play fine in a "fresh" game and my modded game of a huge colony with lots of stuff in it is the one having issues.

I'm now trying to play through the fresh game and see if it's a specific sound-producing pawn or item that's causing a problem.

In case someone else wants to help, the command I use in PowerShell to track live changes to output_log is:

Get-Content output_log.txt -Wait -Tail 30

Canute

Inggo,
i don't think it is a mod issue (your mods are very common an noone else report such issues) or a general game issue.
I would update your audio driver at first.
Do you run any other things that give out audio on your mashine ?

Inggo

Hi, to clarify, I got a lot more mods than listed but i filtered out the common ones.

My sound drivers are up to date. Also I tried playing on a fresh restart, simply reloading my modded save game and it immediately produces the listed errors without fail.

Canute

Yeah that happen when people don't include the whole logfile and modlist.

QuoteThis does not happen in a new colony with the same mods,
Because one of the mod which got sound output, like some building/item with it, didn't appear on colony start.

So it is nearly impossible to track down what mod got this sound output. The error msg. don't include a sound file you could search at the mods folder.
You can try to destroy (dev. tool destroy) all possible buildings one by one, items one by one and check the log window each time if the error's disappear.
Once you know what item produce the error, you should know the mod.

Ark

You (perp) have NullReferenceExceptions and Pawn started 10 jobs in 10 ticks errors in the log.
The "The specified channel has been reused to play another sound" errors are likely a symptom, not the root cause.
My first suspect is Psychology, based on:

Exception ticking hediff (HoldingConversation ticksSinceCreation=1490) for pawn Charlzie. Removing hediff... Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Psychology.Hediff_Conversation.PostRemoved () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Pawn_HealthTracker.RemoveHediff (Verse.Hediff hediff) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Psychology.Hediff_Conversation.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Pawn_HealthTracker.HealthTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

You can view the sounds played if you enable Debug mode, open the Debug inspector (magnifying glass icon), click Visibility, check Write Music Manager Play, Write Playing Sounds, and Write Sound Events Record. Hit Esc to return.
The Debug inspector will now display lots of info. Which is not logged. Keypad + steps time tick by tick.
Whether it is useful or not, remains to be seen.
We don't have Inggo's full log file, so who knows if it is the same mod bug that causes RimWorld/Unity/FMOD to fill the disc with an endless error log. Nevertheless, that shouldn't happen.

Inggo

I have great news! I found out what mod was causing the issue.

It was indeed Dubs Bad Hygiene. It seems that once you have too many of the ambient sound-creating objects in game, the AudioSource.cpp/SoundChannel.cpp errors happen. And once it happens, when you exit, the SoundChannel.cpp m_FMODChannel->stop() flood occurs.

To confirm this, I have a game that when loaded produces the errors even just upon loading the game. I renamed Defs\SoundDefs\HygieneSounds.xml to HygieneSounds.xml.bak (any filename will do, as long as the extension is not an xml so that it doesn't get loaded) from the Dubs Bad Hygene mod folder (if using steam, this is in steamapps/workshop/294100/836308268)

When I load the game, the AudioSource.cpp/SoundChannel.cpp errors no longer happen and I can exit the game to OS easily without the game hanging. The side effect is that there will be no ambient sounds for the items, but I can live with that for now.

I'll go report it to the creator of Dubs Bad Hygiene. Also, I guess this gives a hint in case other people are having this problem to look at files with <SoundDef> tags in the <Defs> and try to eliminate them in other problematic mods.

Canute

Good catch!
I wouldn't except that mod cause trouble.
Dubs Bad Hygiene is a very popular mod and you are the first who got problems with the sounds (so far i notice) so far.

And please report it direct to the mod author, if you got steam, post it at the mod discussion.
The subforum mod-bugs isn't the right place for that.

Inggo

Quote from: Canute on January 15, 2020, 09:23:55 AM
And please report it direct to the mod author, if you got steam, post it at the mod discussion.
The subforum mod-bugs isn't the right place for that.

Copy this, will do... I'm seeing if I can isolate it to a specific item at the moment, the sewage_Ambience SoundDef seems to be the primary culprit at the moment (though it might be my fault for placing too many septic tanks/sewage treatment in my colony).