Move the messages canvas behind the colonist portrait canvas.

Started by ReZpawner, December 03, 2019, 09:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReZpawner

Currently the messages block our access to the colonist bar. Due to the location of the colonist bar leaving a slight opening to the left of it, it would still be possible to click on it if it was behind the portraits. As it is right now, it's kinda frustrating to wait 2-3 seconds for a message about someone being nuzzled to disappear when you desperately need to click on a character to do something important.

Fakeaccount123

Quote from: ReZpawner on December 03, 2019, 09:32:59 AM
Currently the messages block our access to the colonist bar. Due to the location of the colonist bar leaving a slight opening to the left of it, it would still be possible to click on it if it was behind the portraits. As it is right now, it's kinda frustrating to wait 2-3 seconds for a message about someone being nuzzled to disappear when you desperately need to click on a character to do something important.
Yes this is pretty annoying.
Alternatively you could just make it posible to click the character portrait behind the message.
Make the message "transparent" (i dont know what is the correct word for this) so you could click whatever is behind it

ReZpawner

It's a bit of a tricky one though. The text is clickable, as are the portraits. The text would need to stay visible, otherwise there'd be no point in having it in the first place, so somehow the text would have to go on top of the portraits, AND be clickable outside of the colonist portrait area, and at the same time the colonist portraits would have to be clickable even with the text on top of them. I think it should be possible, if one plays around with the layers a bit, but I have no doubt that it's a boring thing to implement.

Fakeaccount123

Quote from: ReZpawner on December 03, 2019, 06:20:28 PM
It's a bit of a tricky one though. The text is clickable, as are the portraits. The text would need to stay visible, otherwise there'd be no point in having it in the first place, so somehow the text would have to go on top of the portraits, AND be clickable outside of the colonist portrait area, and at the same time the colonist portraits would have to be clickable even with the text on top of them. I think it should be possible, if one plays around with the layers a bit, but I have no doubt that it's a boring thing to implement.
What i meant is to make the message not clickable at all. I thought what is the purpose of making the message clickable in the first place? Then i realized that when you click on the message the camera is supossed to move to wherever the things are happening. So ignore what i just said  :P

5thHorseman

How about if you hover over the colonist bar (to the right of the messages) it goes to the front, and if you don't the messages come back?

A.K.A. Why Not Both?
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

LWM

Why not shift-click to ignore message text and go to whatever's under it, or something like that?  That's probably fairly easy to do and makes the UI more useable.

How does one cross-post to suggestions? ;p