About this board

Started by Tynan, December 05, 2019, 09:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

The ideas board is a place for players to discuss ideas for the game with each other. Modders can also use it as a source of ideas.

For legal reasons, Ludeon developers won't be reviewing this forum or any of the threads in it (or any game development suggestions/ideas posted or sent by any other means). I haven't had time to look at the forum for many years anyway, and unfortunately, there is too much risk that someone could try to claim ownership of an idea that we implemented because they happened to have sent/posted something similar here. It wouldn't be a valid claim, but people can still file invalid lawsuits, and I really don't need the trouble. Combined with the fact that many of the ideas for this game are fairly obvious (thus people often suggest things we were planning to do anyway), and it seems too legally risky. I'm sorry it had to be this way, but I hope players can still enjoy the forum together.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

LWM

Could we have a board with "we give all rights for the idea in RimWorld to Ludeon Studios if they want it" as a place for suggestions for you all?  ;D

Tynan

Quote from: LWM on December 05, 2019, 10:58:47 AM
Could we have a board with "we give all rights for the idea in RimWorld to Ludeon Studios if they want it" as a place for suggestions for you all?  ;D

That's already part of the RimWorld EULA (and it's not even necessary anyway). But unfortunately no matter how strong our actual legal ground is, frivolous lawsuits are still a thing so this is safer.

Don't worry, though - we have no shortage of ideas in-house. Never have.

Pangaea

Disappointing to read to be honest, that all the big, small and "cheap" ideas people have suggested have been ignored.

How about turning those nasty bugs into lawyers?

Kirby23590

I understand. Right now this board is mostly for ideas for modders for the game and in cheap suggestions. Kinda sad to see Cheap ideas go away... :(

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

5thHorseman

First off, this is as sad as it is understandable.

Secondly, you should probably parrot this in the extremely popular Your Cheapest Ideas thread that has gotten 400 pages of ideas over the past 6 years that you specifically requested.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Kirby23590

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or Tynan @5thHorseman... I think i could salvage some of my cheap ideas and turn them some of it into a reality for the rims as a mod, though some require C# than pure XML...

I haven't been active in here, since there's not much else going on around the forums outside in the mods forums. Mostly i lurk around in Ludeon forums and still chat, but not much and have ran around elsewhere that is still rimworld related. But i'm glad to take some of the small Ideas i had and bring it into life into some mods in the rims...

Thanks. :D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Kirby23590 on December 08, 2019, 07:54:27 PM
I'm not sure if you're talking to me or Tynan @5thHorseman...

I was talking to Tynan, I usually reply or @ someone when I'm talking to them specifically (and am addressing the OP otherwise) and IIRC I had only read the first post when I replied. I just now see how we both talk about the "Cheapest Ideas" thread :)

And while I'll also be sad to see its demise, I still feel it should be made official lest people continue to post them thinking they're - as the first post states - making their ideas more likely to be in the game instead of - as this thread says - not even going to be looked at.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Tynan

I've updated the cheapest ideas thread OP.

MarcoE123_88

So how can we pass the ideas on to the developers? Can I sign a second contract beyond the EULA? You can no longer give ideas (I joined the forum a few days ago for this reason, even if I only find out now that it is no longer possible), over all my ideas are useless or meaningless, but some may be cast gold

thedood

How ridiculous. You can accept players' ideas with little concern for a lawsuit. This looks like paranoia and is a slap in the face of your fans tbh. They come here because they worship your game and want to help, not to hit a brick wall.

Freezer

Gotta be honest, I get the fear of stupid lawsuits. That sounds like it ends up being way more annoying than anyone thinks. However, This is the first and only time I've ever heard a developer doing anything like this.

I'm sure your dev team has many amazing ideas, as the game is amazing and I haven't been able to stop playing for the past few months, and i have yet to install mods. Again, however, there are certain smaller but still extremely important things that have been overlooked (such as manhunter packs attacking mech clusters, thereby making the mech cluster attack a colony. This makes no sense) which are relatively easy fixes.

I Understand implementing grand ideas may be scary for fear of frivolous lawsuits, however simple fixes, like the one in parenthesis' above, which would improve the QOL and the fairness of this game have such little chance of anyone making false claims about them that ignoring them is pure paranoia and nothing else.

Sucks that the community has no real input into the creative direction of this game. Obviously, the devs have final say on what goes into the main game, but players giving money and time not getting their ideas even heard? That feels a little like a slap in the face, even if it wasn't intended to be.

PDCWolf

I believe this should be made clearer faster to new customers, not only on the forums but in other platforms and even storefronts as well. Personally, had I known this earlier, it would've been grounds for an immediate refund request, which obviously now I cannot apply for. Modern gaming has changed a lot and it's no longer the commonly accepted precept that the community is cut off from the creative direction of a product, for good or worse.

Whilst the lawsuit paranoia seems unfounded, I do understand it well enough to accept it, and believe me that I don't feel scammed or anything of the sort, just disappointed that it took me this long to find this information.

SetArk

Well, i understand the paranoia, speciallly with some controversies that arose in the "recent" past around Royalty DLC for exemple.
But, where could we give feedbacks on the game?
Like, there are some ideas and points of the game that, could the team could see a "feedback" section.

I imagined that the Ideas would be the place, but, if not, wouldn't be healthier to have a "Feedback" section, where players can give feedback about aspects of the game, not related to performance or bugs?
If there is, i'm just on a blind ideology and could someone point me there?

Deer87

Aww. That's a shame.
Really enjoy the new DCL although I struggle with the Trees as I reaaaaally need some construction materials and fuel.
Anyway, is there no "Suggestion box" at all?
Hmm, then I gotta post my idea in mods instead and see if anyone bites.
Keep up the good work. Rimworld is an amazing thing