Does not start from steam-installed folder

Started by planetmaker, December 05, 2019, 01:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planetmaker

I purchased RimWorld via steam and had it install the game.
No success that way, RimWorld kept complaining about a missing data folder: https://gist.github.com/planetmaker/a1e582fa09e605e7633d09f5f5d15fa6

However, when I took the whole RimWorld folder and copied it to my home dir, RimWorld did start.
I'm happy that it works now, but it's unsatisfactory that the default install fails to find the data dir. Is the path too long or something? gdb output does not seem to suggest it, but it's not exactly more verbose than this paste either.

Please let me know if and how I can be of assistence to solve this.

LWM

What system are you running?  It may be a Steam/Unity problem, not a RimWorld problem.

LWM

Also ...do you have permissions to write to that directory?

Super annoying, but it worked out of the box for me, so you've found something weird!  (Congrats?)

planetmaker

It's a Linux Fedora29 and I've write access to all the mentioned directories; they are part of my home dir.

I copy the whole dir from ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/RimWorld/ to ~/RimWorld
From the first location it doesn't start either way, by calling it from steam nor by calling it manually from command line with the start scripts or without. In the latter it works fine by simply calling ./RimWorldLinux.x86_64 or ./start_RimWorld.sh from command line.

I cannot judge properly where the error actually is; failing to also start it manually in that dir from cmd, but succeeding when started from a copy in another location led me report it here; I'm not sure how involved any steam code is.

LWM

The folder I was wondering about the existence of was ~/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios

planetmaker

Quote from: LWM on December 06, 2019, 10:46:58 AM
The folder I was wondering about the existence of was ~/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios

Yes, that also exists and is where my savegames are placed:
2& [planetmaker:~] $ ls -l ~/.config/unity3d/Ludeon\ Studios/RimWorld*
'/home/planetmaker/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios':
insgesamt 28
drwxrwxr-x. 2 planetmaker planetmaker  4096  5. Dez 20:44 Config
-rw-rw-r--. 1 planetmaker planetmaker 10649  5. Dez 21:31 Player.log
-rw-rw-r--. 1 planetmaker planetmaker   579  7. Dez 09:32 prefs
drwxrwxr-x. 2 planetmaker planetmaker  4096  7. Dez 15:37 Saves
drwxrwxr-x. 2 planetmaker planetmaker  4096  5. Dez 21:17 Scenarios