Unstable Caravan Creation

Started by SpaceDorf, January 12, 2018, 08:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

I use a lot of mods,
none of which Should have an effect on Caravan Creation,
still whenever I create a caravan, especially a large one,
the Caravan Creation Screen becomes sluggish with calculation pauses measured in minutes or the game whites out and freezes completely.

And I am wondering if I am the only one experiencing this or if there are others.
Because I really don't understand how a simple variation of the trade screen is able to do this while the rest of the game is paused.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Dashthechinchilla

Could it be a base size, item quantity thing? Does it only do it on your larger caravans?

And what is a large caravan to you? The term is a bit subjective, especially with some mods which can make a lot of stuff.

SpaceDorf

Base Size might not be the answer. It happened to me on my 275*275 homebase as well on a 100*100 campsite and mission maps somewhere between.

All I do is selecting five to six pawns and five to ten aninals or more to move about 1000kg of cargo. Nothing more than the usual leatther crap sone food. medicine. buildings. Camping equipment. ... and tons of steel from ny mining site

Jibbles

I caravan quite often but haven't come across your issue.  I just loaded up 20 pawns and around 10 animals with tons of items on a 7 year colony. I'm also playing on 275*275

sadpickle

I get mild slowdown later game but nothing game-breaking. However, I am not a power-player. I only have about 30 mods and my wealth never gets truly insane before I reroll.

SpaceDorf

Still got the problem, when re-creating caravans from Event/Quest Maps or Campsites.

Sadly the answer is really the number of carried items. Not weight.
Especially with food mods and wild plants the number of foraged and harvested items grows really big.
Add to that every bit of looted equipment from several encounters, prisoners and harvested implants ( or the corpses )
And while the Dinosauria offers great grazing pack animals, able to carry 10 tons each, I was never able to fill even one.

Later, when pods and reusable flyers come into play the problem is no longer an issue  ;D

I am really curious if other people can replicate the problem, or if it is my computer.
( Win10, i5Quad 3.1GHz, 8 Gig Ram )