Gas for industrial era

Started by Deer87, December 17, 2019, 02:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deer87

Hello peps

I keep returning to the thought that a western/explororation/industrial era game would require gas as a fuel.
It was a very common fuel for stoves, lamps and so on, and hooking it up with the CoC gasfueld furniture should be possible.

I think about either subsidizing chemfuel or cloning it as it can be made in a gas generator consuming wood (and coal if i get ambitious).

Can anyone put me on the right track on how the mod structure should be. My problem is, that I know how to look in the script and see the possible fuels for a stove, and could add a gas option to the vanilla fueld stove, but I don't know how to make a seperate mod that does the same.

Thanks in advance

Canute

Hi,
i am not a real modder but i understood some basics.
Sure you can add some new item like chemfuel that get created by some rig over special geysir and can be fueled like chemfuel/wood into some workbenches.
But the advanced one would be to create a pipesystem basicly like a new powernet system to power up these special buildings.
So you should look into Dubwise hygiene mod, basicly the gas system could be like the water system. Alternativ look at Rimefeller which do what you want with oil.

Deer87

Hi Canute,

I actually thought you were a modder, ah well.

If i get this to work, a rig for geothermal vents is definetly on the to do list, as well as a pipe-based system like bad-hygine. One could also look at the electric network.
But for staters I would keep it simple and use gas-flasks, and then maybe add a Gas-station where pawns could extract or add gas to the pipe and tank network.

My problem is, that i have a lot of ideas, little knowledge and less time. But i actually set up the overall schematics for a oil/gas/peat mod for energy and heating in an 1800'th setting.
On the plus side, Im going on 4 months of parental leave from New Year, so hopefully i can get to try it out, if my daughter naps well.

Canute

You know there are 2 level's of modding.
XML, are the basic one. You can edit these with the text editor.
C#, are the real programming one, you need to compile the source code into a .dll

Just adding gas-flask, and using these as fuel source for some new workbenches/furnitures you can do with XML.
So when you want to add new gamemechanics like a gas-pipenetwork, you need to learn C#.
Before you start at such advance project, you should do some basic modding first.

At the forum you found alot of idea's but only a handful modder are able to do just jobs. And many of these allready left rimworld modding.
Look at all these mod which got still the old targetversion tag.
And if you are looking for faster help, maybe take a look at the discord channels.

LWM

Also, the rimworldwiki has a lot of useful things, including what mod structure looks like, how to set stuff up, etc.

And concrete examples are helpful.

You might start slow, with adding your new item: flasks of gas, and a recipe to create them from chemfuel at the stove (you can change that later, right?)  Then add the patches for the generator (you can either roll your own generator, or modify the chemfuel one to use either fuel.  Then the next step, etc.

If you can do C#, the answer to almost any "can I do this?" is probably yes :)

Deer87

Thanks for the answers,
C# is still undiscovered land for me, but i can usually figure out a bit of xml.
I can see what you mean about starting small, so that is definetly the way to start :)