scarab nests/tombs

Started by Fruit loops, July 25, 2014, 06:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fruit loops

So I watched the scorpion king the other day and they dug down in the dirt and there was a scarab nest and the scarab things crawled in to the workers body I was thinking that in the mountains there would be little areas hollowed out not to big but not to small and there would be another race/type of scarab that was hostile once you opened the nest/tomb there would be like 10-15 of the things you could 1 or 2 shot them with any weapon but they are very fast and they deal like 15-20 damage so if they swarm you you're screwed there would be no notification if you were near one or if it was opened so you would have to watch you mining project a bit and maybe if you killed them all and you checked the nest thing there would be silver or metal or something I thought it would give the player a reason to watch the mining a bit instead of not caring about miners cause there is no risk to mine except cave ins

so it would probably take a day or two to program it to have a small chance for a nest in side mountains and make graphics for the new scarab and characteristics and the other small things but I think it would be a cool addition to the game tell me if you think this is a good idea or not cause I have tons of ideas for rimworld I im gonna keep posting new ideas for rimworld if you don't like these ideas that have a lot to them ill try not to post them
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

BetaSpectre

I want better pre generated buildings
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

bjo0rn

I like the concept of having some surprises (good and bad) hidden deep in the mountains.
Not so fond of this particular surprise though.

Fruit loops

do you not like the scarab nest idea or that it would kill a lot of your colonists if you weren't carful?

Halinder

A very common tactic for early colonies is digging into mountains. The cost of walls is initially something you don't need to worry about, so digging rooms out is easy. A three-person colony would die immediately if they were to encounter this whilst digging into the mountain.

Fruit loops

i was thinking that they would be vary rare if the colony and the earlier the colony the less scarabs there would be say you discovered a nest within the first year there wouldent be as many say you discovered one In the 3rd year there would be a lot or maybe just when you discover one they don't hatch (spawn in or go hostile) for like 45 seconds there would still be no message but if you were actually paying attention you can tell somebody to seal it back up or maybe they are sensitive to light or something so like you could rush your guys outside so they couldent attack you or you don't add light sensitivity I personally wouldent I would just add a time before the went hostile  but you are right either way it would be devastating for a new colony to stumble on one  but I think that if you were in a semi old colony where there isn't much challenge other than mechs and HUGE raids this would be a solution to give some challenge

praguepride

The other idea is to take a nod from DF and have them be located deep in the mountains. So yeah, a beginning colony won't dig 30+ tiles deep into a mountain however a mature colony that is doing exploratory mining might run into something nasty like a burried vault of ancient technology full of valuable materials but horrific monsters like the one described. Another idea would be to have a pregenerated "entrance" or zone so if you were new and approached it the game would pop up witha "You're getting a bad feeling about this." so you know to hold off until later to explore the area.

Fruit loops

maybe a negative thought that was negative enough to have a mental break soon warning and the negative thing said like :I hear something in the walls or maybe just :I got a bad feeling about this area something like that I don't want it to be so obvious like a message but a mental break soon warning could work beouse if you had a colonist who had mental break warnings all the time but it was because he was a miner and the area was almost complete you wouldent care to check his thoughts im sure some people say screw it I have enough people, deal with it bro and if this is actually added im sure some people wouldent know what those thoughts were about if you were smart you'd just get your guy out of the mine because the in darkness cramped envirment and the one you usually get when in a mine would go away and the nest negative effect wouldent have enough points to make the guy have a mental break on its own plus it would go away once you were x blocks away

Terramorphus

Halinder

A mental break system would just make fighting them absolute hell, unless you just want it to say there's a mental break whilst mood is actually okay (although that'd pretty much throw people off). It'd be better to have them in pregenerated areas with elaborate entrances -- make it clear, easy to avoid, but to still make it an issue have good loot inside.

Fruit loops

what I wanted with the tombs was a reason to keep watch in the mines and I don't want the player to know there is one untell its to late maybe the tomb would be outlined my a metal wall so if you were watching and there was a metal wall in the middle of the mountain you would stop mining and avoid it the point of this was having to pay attention to mining maybe like once the scarabs went hostile maybe the affect went away idk but I don't want the player to be able to avoid it completely I want the player to have to deal with it or at least open it and close it I want the player thinking holy crap we almost died instead of oh its one of those thing lets dig around it and make no contact what so ever cause if they knew it was there they would not bother with it and the tomb would have no use

Somz

Quote from: praguepride on July 25, 2014, 10:10:35 PM
The other idea is to take a nod from DF and have them be located deep in the mountains. So yeah, a beginning colony won't dig 30+ tiles deep into a mountain however a mature colony that is doing exploratory mining might run into something nasty like a burried vault of ancient technology full of valuable materials but horrific monsters like the one described. Another idea would be to have a pregenerated "entrance" or zone so if you were new and approached it the game would pop up witha "You're getting a bad feeling about this." so you know to hold off until later to explore the area.

Actually, I always dig in at least 43 (max range of the M-24 +1) tiles deep and let the enemies come into a nice line, so even missed shots hit someone...or something...
Still, the idea of having underground hostile beings around isn't bad, and they could spawn as the "ancient ship part" or what spawns the mechanoids -depending on your wealth.

But I am more than sure there is an order of priority, and that Tynan is planning on adding more flora/fauna.
To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.