Problems with learning skills

Started by znajek, December 08, 2019, 12:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

znajek

This may not be usual bug but... I played a game with 10 colonists with all skills at 0 (Prepare carefoully on, but it havent impact on this) and a person that was set to craft wasn't learning crafting by making bricks or smelting metal. Only by tailoring. I saw that bug when she had crafting at lvl 3. I only made 10 jackets before but she shouldn't have three levels upgrade by making those. She was making bricks all time and not learning crafting. The same happened with every colonist on a draft. They weren't learning shooting (this one could be programmed like this so it isnt the main problem).

Canute

Hi,
i think you forget to read the sticky "How to report a Bug".
But you right that isn't a bug, simple crafting like making stone bricks or smelting metal don't give any crafting XP.
Since crafting skill mainly affect the quality of items, you can say that any item that got no quality don't give XP at crafting.

bugi

I thought crafting skill also affects the speed of work (especially, _only_ speed for some of these tasks where quality isn't a factor), so in a way it would make sense that as one does the work (e.g. cutting stone), he learns to become faster in it.  But it does not make sense that he would, as a side effect, become better tailor by cutting stones... But then again, it doesn't make sense to become faster stone cutter or better weapon smith by being tailor, either, but so it currently goes... So, obviously, making sense doesn't have much weight in this game's design.

I do understand that it is not a bug, though, and the related balance issues. I also got surprised by this at first, but IIRC, I managed to google the answer to that mystery, perhaps because I was already a bit suspicious about skill balance when I started with the cutting stones task the first time.

Canute

I don't know the formula for crafting and i wouldn't refer to the wiki since that info is outdated (in this case) for sure.
But manipulation is the one which adjust the crafting speed.
Someone who lost finger/hand/arm got decreased manipulation and craft slower then someone with bionic arms.
Then the enviroment is important, outdoors, right temperature. Darkness just affect the mood and not the speed but i am not sure.