[1.0.2408] Repeated crashes, somewhat reproducible

Started by cloudbear, December 29, 2019, 04:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloudbear

Attached:
2019-12-30_215028.zip - Crash while moving a new machining bill up through the list of bills.

Canute

You still have these error's
QuoteCould not do PostLoadInit on RimWorld.Pawn_RelationsTracker: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RimWorld.Pawn_RelationsTracker.ExposeData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.PostLoadIniter.DoAllPostLoadInits () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
It is a new colony or the one you removed the mod ?

P.S. You don't need to report any crash, until there is something different.
I think basicly the crash can happen anything, after enough error's happen.

There shouldn't be any error's, specialy when you just play without mods.
Game installation should be fine too.

Could you try out to start Rimworld direct from the installation folder and not over Steam ?
Some people report some issues that Rimworld got just ended (without crash) when the start it over steam.

cloudbear

Quote from: Canute on December 30, 2019, 05:04:14 PM
You still have these error's
QuoteCould not do PostLoadInit on RimWorld.Pawn_RelationsTracker: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RimWorld.Pawn_RelationsTracker.ExposeData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.PostLoadIniter.DoAllPostLoadInits () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
It is a new colony or the one you removed the mod ?

That's from the same game; the one where I had removed a mod.

P.S. You don't need to report any crash, until there is something different.
I think basicly the crash can happen anything, after enough error's happen.

Okay.  I don't see any correlation between the crashes and the error messages though.  For example attached to this message is another crash that I just experienced, in another savegame from a fresh colony, which hasn't any errors (I was playing with the debug log visible to check).

(Attached: 2019-12-30_220428.zip - Different colony (never modded). Crash while expanding a zone.)

Link to that savegame: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuznbrb4qp7f23p/Teba%20%28Permadeath%29.rws?dl=1

There shouldn't be any error's, specialy when you just play without mods.
Game installation should be fine too.

Could you try out to start Rimworld direct from the installation folder and not over Steam ?
Some people report some issues that Rimworld got just ended (without crash) when the start it over steam.

I'll give it a shot.  Cheers.

cloudbear

No dice.  Crashed after 1 hour 20 minutes with the newer, never-modded save, which currently looks like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4qg7zgostx36a7/Commonwealth%20of%20Freetopia%20%28Permadeath%29.rws?dl=1

Same error message (Write to location 00000aac caused an access violation.)

Attached:
2019-12-30_224202.zip - Different colony (never modded). Crash during gameplay, 1hr20mins after loading.

Canute

Ok, the last made it clear that the relation error's arn't the reasons for these crashes.
It is more related to your system/mashine.

Since you allready update the graphics card drivers, do you use an unusual antivir tool ? Try to deactivate it while playining.
When you look at the error.log you see
"RimWorldWin64.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)"
Basicly that's allways the reason for the crash.

cloudbear

I just Windows Defender at the moment.  I've now added as exceptions to Windows Defender:

• the Rimworld folder in steamapps
  • the Rimworld folder in AppData
  • the Rimworld process (RimWorldWin64.exe)

I'll let you know how I get on.  I've never seen antivirus cause a process not to be able to address its own memory though.  Access Violation is a segfault: when the process attempts to address memory outside of its allowed memory area.

Canute

I use windows defender too, so i don't think its related to that.

When you search the web for ".exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)" you will find some entries that mosttimes lead you to unity forum.
But i think i gave you the most hints i read there allready.

cloudbear

Good idea.  I had search for the error code but not the phrase, as I didn't realise it was a Unity-specific phrase.

Searching for the phrase led me to this post: https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/110613/my-game-crashed-access-violation-0xc0000005

The post explains how to read the crash log, so I'm now relatively sure the issue is a stack overflow caused by interaction between RimWorld and some DLL.

I've attempted to repair DirectX (to the extent that you can nowadays, since DX12 is baked into Windows 10).  If that doesn't work I'll attempt a system repair, and if that doesn't work I'll just blow the OS away and reinstall.

Thanks for your efforts, Canute, I appreciate it.