Ravenously Hungry Colonists Disdain Food

Started by Anan, January 02, 2020, 07:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anan

This is the first time I've encountered this annoying bug, but there have been many similar reports over the years. There are a dozen basic meals in the cooler, but my hungry colonists ignore them until I individually command them to eat something. Is there still no fix for this problem?

Canute

Hi,
you should check at first the food policy of that pawn. Maybe switch it at first then switch back to the one he should use.
Since you can force him to eat, i don't think he got a zone restriction.

Enable developer mode at the option, and open the log window with the top left icon.
Does you have any error's (red text), then the log file would maybe hand, read the sticky "how to ..." for the location of the logfile.
You need to use Reply to see file attachment options.

LWM

I found a similar situation when using the Stockpile For Disaster mod (it doesn't affect forced jobs).  Which does bring up the question, are you running mods?

Anan

Thanks for your suggestions!

"you should check at first the food policy of that pawn"
The problem applies to all three of my original colonists but not to the walk-in nor to any of the animals. I don't know how to access info about food policies.

"Does you have any error's (red text), then the log file would maybe hand"
No errors in log file. I attempted to upload a save game but was told it was too large.

"are you running mods?"
No.

I'm ready to send my caravan to the star-ship but my colonists starve to death in the first week despite my having sent along hundreds of pounds of food.

Canute

Yep, safegames are mosttimes to large as attachment.
You can try to compress these with an archive tool like zip,rar or you need to use an external file hoster and just post the link.

But since there are no error's at the log, i would say at the first it is a humanerror.
Try to post the safegame, thats the better way then when you try to descripe what you have done and not.

Anan

Wow! Compressed 87% with 7-zip. See attached.

Canute

Quote from: Anan on January 03, 2020, 06:19:51 AM
"you should check at first the food policy of that pawn"
The problem applies to all three of my original colonists but not to the walk-in nor to any of the animals. I don't know how to access info about food policies.
Select a pawn.
Click at Health at the status window down left.
Then you would see below the age, Food restriction with a button behind.

Your original 3 pawns got Nothing, while the 4. got Lawish.
You should set the other 3 pawns to Lawish too, Lawish food policy include all kind of food by default.

At the menu Assign, you can adjust the policy itself and assign the pawn to them.

Hint: You should hold open the forbidden door before the traps, then raiders prefer to enter the base over these way.
Try to seperate your storage from your dinning room, item on the ground got negativ beauty.

Anan

Your solution worked fine for my problem. Thanks! I wonder how they got set that way?

This is not my most elegant settlement (see attached pictures for a prettier example). It sort of evolved as such things do. When there's an intrusion alarm, I have three of my folks with guns behind the sand-bag and send the fourth to open the locked door. Nobody's gotten past the first two traps so far.

Canute

QuoteYour solution worked fine for my problem. Thanks! I wonder how they got set that way?
Normaly the default food policy is Lawish.
Maybe you read somewhere to set the food restriction and feed them manualy once a day, if you are short on food like at the beginning.
Since you don't use mod's you need to change it self but you maybe don't remember on it, or you didn't know what you did.

I would give each pawn an own bedroom. This will increase the mood of them since they don't get disturb sleep/baracks penalties anymore.
The mood of your pawn's is pretty important, so they don't get a mental break so soon when bad things happen.

And just a warning, be prepared before you activate the ship reactor !! :-)

LWM

Are those steel walls?  Steel burns if it gets hot enough; if your starship goes up in flames, do post a picture ;)

Anan

The walls are steel (sometimes I use plasteel because it's portable). I'm aware they can be set afire but they burn slowly and usually the raiders can't resist the traps. On the particular play-through I'm doing now, we have a lot of tame critters; keeping them out of the way of the raiders is my biggest challenge. Had to build a freezer to keep all that extra meat fresh!