[Request] Suicide

Started by CucumberedPickle, December 25, 2019, 12:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CucumberedPickle

Your last meal was a human corpse, and that was five days ago. The plague has a grasp over everyone's lifeforce. All of your loved ones have died, all you can feel is pain, it's blistering cold, and it's been forever since you've been outdoors.
A colonist's life is a terrible one. At what point would you just end it all?
As a type of extreme break risk, suicide could be for a colonist who really can't take it anymore. It would be rare, and their mood would have to be low (possibly 0%) for a suicide to occur, but it could add as a bit of flare and spice to break risks. Of course, there are many ways to end one's life.
Cutting
In this mental state, a pawn will drop their weapon and equip a sharp melee one (e.g, knife), and proceed to cut themselves until they are downed or bleed to death. They also will resist arrest or medical care.
Electrocution
A colonist will "tinker" with a conduit or electronic device, resulting with an electrocution with most likely fatal burns. A tinkered conduit could also cause a small "Zzt."
Gunshot
Same with cutting, except the colonist will arm themselves with a small firearm (e.g, revolver) and aim for themselves, most likely in their head or torso.
Hanging
The colonist goes to a mature tree and "hang" themselves before eventually dying.
Burning
More probable with pyromaniacs, except they set themselves on fire and burn to death.
Poison
A more severe drug binge, where the colonist consumes as much of a drug, any drug, as quickly as possible. Perhaps neutroamine could become a poison if ingested in its pure form, killing the consumer.
Starvation
The colonist will refuse to eat until they die.
Those are just my suggestions for a mod, and they might be terrible, they may not.
The number of possible signatures there are might as well be, for practical use, infinite, yet I chose this one.

5thHorseman

It seems half of my colonists are suicidal already. I'm not sure if it actually requires a game mechanic.

"Hunt that antelope? Sure, let me just get on the other side of this pack of muffalo and..."
"Those 45 raiders are tripping all my traps! I'd better get out there right now and reset 'em."
"Here I am standing in the kitchen with a dead deer. The butcher table's right there and right next to it a stove. Naaw I think I'll just eat its head."
"Oh I should butcher the deer? Fine. Done. Now for some nice raw meat."
"Wait I should COOK it first!? That's the last straw! You KNOW I was starving and you have me doing all this work! I'm going to go on a sad wander for the next 3 days and not eat anything because I'm so hungry."
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Canute

You know on xmas so many people are depressiv and got weired ideas ! :-)

LWM

I mean, I can see that it might make sense as a mod.  I can also see that it's a veeeeery delicate subject that I don't think I'll touch.  Not this year, at any rate.

CucumberedPickle

Quote from: Canute on December 25, 2019, 03:40:56 AM
-12 mood penalty
The number of possible signatures there are might as well be, for practical use, infinite, yet I chose this one.

5thHorseman

Quote from: CucumberedPickle on December 25, 2019, 04:40:51 PM
-12 mood penalty
Ate Christmas dinner without a table.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

AcetheSuperVillain

I think it would make sense for colonists to try suicide, at least that's a much more common and believable reaction than a lot of things they do.  Ideally it should be something that you can notice and stop them, if there's someone around. 

I don't know if variety is really necessary for it, I think I would just do:

- cut wrists and wait to bleed out, maybe colonist goes into a Daze and can't be treated until they collapse. 

- blowing their brains out with a gun, maybe they go to their room or an empty grave to do this, so that there's a chance to stop them. 

- intentionally ODing if there's a substance like yayo around that they could do that with. 

Vlad0mi3r

Psycology is the mod you want. I has mental breaks that lead to self harming and without medical care the Pawn will bleed out.

Quote from: 5thHorseman on December 25, 2019, 10:52:19 PM
-12 mood penalty
Quote from: 5thHorseman on December 25, 2019, 10:52:19 PM
-12 mood penalty

The ate Christmas without dinner table actually made me laugh.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503