help with solar flare idea

Started by the_gonopo, January 08, 2020, 02:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_gonopo

starting to try and figure out modding, making small changes mostly patches. so my knowledge is very minimal.
im trying to understand what designation determines what things are affected by solar flares. is it just anything that uses power? I was hoping to find out if its possible to make vanometric power cells immune to solar flares, meaning that your base would still have 1000w of power to work with (per cell).
it may not be possible, cause it looks somewhat like its not the power generators that go out, but the power users. however, if it is possible and anyone knows how to make that work i would be super excited

LWM

I have ideas of how one might make a solar-flare proof mod, but haven't sat down to try and make it actually happen yet.

Part of the reason solar flares cause problems is that they disrupt small electronics - so it's very reasonable to assume vanometric power cells are just fine (altho, who knows, maybe there's shoddy glitterworld tech out there too?).  But there are other problems too: unshielded power cables can act as giant antennas and pick up signals from the solar flare......and turn the absorbed energy into fires.  This actually happened in the 1800s here on Earth.  ...  Yeah.  So.  Dangerous.

I had been thinking in terms of offering the user the ability to make shielded power cables and use advanced components to make hardened electronics that can withstand solar flares.

If everything is based on power users, that would dovetail quite well with my idea.  Did you search through all the code for every place that checks if the solar flare incident is happening?

Oops, got to go check on the cat.