DRM-free = pirated version?

Started by ruPal, January 12, 2020, 07:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruPal

I see a lot of people using "DRM free" version, but afaik there is no Rimworld on GOG and it can only be bought on Ludeon site and on Steam. If you buy on Ludeon site, you also get Steam key, isn't it? So there is no reason not to use Steam to get up to date Rimworld version and get access to Steam Workshop. Does that mean that most DRM free Rimworld users plays on pirated version of the game and uses "DRM free" instead of "pirated game" to cover that and not to be banned? :-\

SpaceDorf

No. This means if you buy from Ludeon directly you get 2 Versions for the price of one, while all the moneys goes to the developer.

If you buy on Steam you get the Steam Version. And since Steam is a DRM System in itself, this Version of Rimworld is called the Steam Version.

If you buy from Ludeon you get a Download Link from SendOwl, where you can Download a Version of Rimworld without using Steam. You also get a Steam Key, so you can access Rimworld from Steam and the Workshop as well.

If you don't use Steam you get an E-Mail notifying you, that a new Version is available for Download.

Most Mods both available on Steam Workshop or here in the Forums. Some Mods are Workshop or Forum exclusive.

To close the circle. If you own the Steam Version, you can copy the Folder whereever you want, and use this
"X:\Games\Rimworld\RimWorld64\RimWorldWin64.exe -savedatafolder=SaveData"
to run the game without Steam .. using it DRM-Free.

Finally ... Yes. Some of those People using the DRM-Free Version of Rimworld may have pirated the game. But since every DRM gets cracked sooner or later, thats just a fact of life.
And to be honest. For some games I get the DRM Free Version even after I bought them, because the DRM is just so annoying.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Canute

Quote from: ruPal on January 12, 2020, 07:03:09 AM
Does that mean that most DRM free Rimworld users plays on pirated version of the game and uses "DRM free" instead of "pirated game" to cover that and not to be banned? :-\
Ofcouse some people are clever enough not to mention that they use a pirate version, but i wouldn't say any DRM free user use a pirate version.
Personally i strongly dislike to use steam or any other shop which need to have a launcher tool installed.
Don't forget data is a strong currency at the net.