Tone down centipedes?

Started by muffins, July 26, 2014, 06:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrashMan

Ya know, when enough enemies attack no wall or turret can stop them.

I kinda cringe at stone or metal walls being destroyed by ARROWS or hurled stones

TL_ARMY

New message: Centipedes attack! You are screwed huh? I suggest you to build stone walls to block them from coming in.

Zeta Omega

To be fair I thing they have been toned down do to the new health system

Drone

5 is about managable by the whole "hit and run + take cover when they fire" stratagy, but any more than that and it's basically impossible to focus any particular centipede down since they clump together and are so tanky you end up splitting fire between them. On randy random I had a ship part drop right in the middle of 120 visitors, which caused a massive firefight between 15 centipedes + some reavers and said 120 visitors... The centipedes won despite being fired on from all angles.

I think part of the problem is inferno cannons make taking cover extremely difficult and that because centipedes are so large yet can fire over eachother you basically end up with the front 2 or 3 centipedes tanking for everything while the back line fires away with impunity. Making centipedes too large to fire over eachother would be a good way to solve this since that way you don't end up with a block of centipedes the size of your kitchen shooting a literal hail of shells and bullets in every direction.

Additionally I hope there's going to be some launcher type weapons like rpgs or maybe some armour piercing weapons at so me point which hopefully help with the centipede death-train menace.

Somz

Quote from: Drone on August 25, 2014, 12:28:18 PM
5 is about managable by the whole "hit and run + take cover when they fire" stratagy, but any more than that and it's basically impossible to focus any particular centipede down since they clump together and are so tanky you end up splitting fire between them. On randy random I had a ship part drop right in the middle of 120 visitors, which caused a massive firefight between 15 centipedes + some reavers and said 120 visitors... The centipedes won despite being fired on from all angles.

I think part of the problem is inferno cannons make taking cover extremely difficult and that because centipedes are so large yet can fire over eachother you basically end up with the front 2 or 3 centipedes tanking for everything while the back line fires away with impunity. Making centipedes too large to fire over eachother would be a good way to solve this since that way you don't end up with a block of centipedes the size of your kitchen shooting a literal hail of shells and bullets in every direction.

Additionally I hope there's going to be some launcher type weapons like rpgs or maybe some armour piercing weapons at so me point which hopefully help with the centipede death-train menace.

EMP weapons are already in-game, great against mechanical targets.
Still if you are not cornered by centips, it's easy to kite them.

Inferno cannons are laughably inaccurate and pose the least threat. Even without EMPs, it's rather easy.
Again, if you're cornered, you're pretty much f****d, them dropping into your base is rather lethal.
If they just spawn somewhere then get Lee-Enfields and circle around, hit and run, hide & shoot, if you're any good they won't even have the chance of shooting back.
I've kited ~30-35 centis for about 2 days, managed to kill them all.

Scythers pose far more threat since they're fast and lethal in greater numbers.
To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.

BetaSpectre

Cycle your fighters around so people can get sleep and you're good as long as the Centipedes aren't next to you and you can't run.

I've had lots like 50~ drop on my base in I think Alpha 3 or 4 I fought them without EMP stuff and still won without any deaths everyone was really hurt but it was doable.

I also had like 50 turrets. Turrets on the inside :3.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Rahjital

Quote from: Somz on August 25, 2014, 05:41:05 PM
Inferno cannons are laughably inaccurate and pose the least threat. Even without EMPs, it's rather easy.

YMMV on that one, inferno cannons have the longest range of all centipede weapons and are the 2nd fastest aiming weapons in Rimworld, after pistols (which you probably won't use to attack them anyway). The large spread also often works in their favour when they hit target that is dodging or even hidden from their sight behind a wall. Personally, I think they pose the greatest threat of all centipede weapons, being eclipsed only by the charge lances of scythers. It all depends on one's point of view, I suppose.

To people having problems with centipedes - remember that Rimworld is at least partially a game of tactics. If the plan you have been using results in your colonists being turned into boomrat food as your colony falls in flames, it's time to try a new plan. Try luring the mechanoids with a single colonist while the rest of your force snipes the centipedes. Or try running away from your colony, waiting until they split up and then lure them in small groups and kill them when their numbers are more manageable. Or build an intricate turret farm and get the centipedes to target your turrets while your colonists safely attack them from afar! There's so many possibilities, all you need to do is explore them ;)

Somz

Quote from: Rahjital on August 25, 2014, 06:03:36 PM

YMMV on that one,
I have no idea what that means...really.
Quote from: Rahjital on August 25, 2014, 06:03:36 PM
inferno cannons have the longest range of all centipede weapons and are the 2nd fastest aiming weapons in Rimworld, after pistols (which you probably won't use to attack them anyway). The large spread also often works in their favour when they hit target that is dodging or even hidden from their sight behind a wall. Personally, I think they pose the greatest threat of all centipede weapons, being eclipsed only by the charge lances of scythers. It all depends on one's point of view, I suppose.
I really don't know what you mean. While those might aim fast as you've said (never compared it to anything before, but I'll believe you)
they have a forced miss value on them aside from being inaccurate to begin with. Out of 10 or more shots maybe one will actually hit the target but then again, these deal little damage.
That is if the colonists aren't standing next to each other.

And you are right, this game is about solving problems. All sorts of annoying problems. ^^
To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.

johiah

Charge rifles, plasteel embrasures, plasteel walls, sandbags, plasteel turrets, forcefields, and power armour. there you go. youre welcome
"My best warden has no jaw"

Argon

My original Wafflebox (term coined by Vexare) design can take 8-10 centipedes straight to the face and not let a single shot be fired by the foes, after that number of mechs sandbag damage becomes a serious issue.  The expanded version however can handle 15+.

-Argon

Original Wafflebox:

[attachment deleted due to age]

Elixiar

I think the mechanoids are perfectly balanced where they are.

Scythers make me panic to battle stations, and micro hit and run tactics with automatic weapons are usually enough to beat them back, in the event they bring the fight to me, I find nothing more thrilling than my colonists engaging in open war in the mess halls, bedrooms, hallways and comm centres! The town rages in flames during the fight as the centipedes advance through destroyed and now abandoned homes. This is a rag tag colony. Their home is threatened and when the mechanoids come in force, every man should take up weapons and fight to the last man!

But seriously they are a dire threat for a reason, if you find it too hard then lower the difficulty.

After a long battle, the metal ones destroyed my base and killed half my colonists before the last centipede fell. We survived. 2 men. And we rebuilt.

This is what the game is about. Overcoming enemies far more advanced and powerful than you.

[attachment deleted due to age]
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

henk

This thread is several months old and no longer relevant to the current danger levels.

hector212121

Centipedes are kind of ridiculous. Without one thing, that is.

EMP. MORTARS.

Just plunk a few rounds on their heads and send someone wielding a mace to bash em to little bits. Or someone with a pistol if what you want is target practice.

henk

Send a single pawn with a good personal shield behind as much cover as you can near the centipede, and it'll waste all its shot trying to take it down, allowing your other pawns to shoot it without risk.