It would be really cool to have a wheelchair mod

Started by jobinson, January 16, 2020, 04:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobinson

(I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.)

In a game full of disabled colonists, it makes no sense to not be able to build wheelchairs. It would be a cheap way of getting a colonist back to baseline moving abilities or at least most of the way there. There could be crutches for a low tech version. And motorized wheelchairs as a high tech version. It makes much more sense to build a wheelchair out of metal and wood for my frail researcher with a bad back than to waste a bionic spine on them.

I know nothing about programming, but they could be like a clothing item you equip that gives a buff to moving?

To balance it and make it more realistic, wheelchairs could be extra slow on dirt, not be able to travel over chunks, or other things like that.

Canute

Why do you want wheelchairs, when you can straight put wheels or tracks on your pawns ?
Some mod's made this happen.
And even without mods, the simple protetic is good enough to give legless pawn their mobility back.
And why you just want wheelchairs and not hoverchairs ? :-)

LWM

I always figured the pawn hopping around with one leg was already using a crutch.  I play with a mod that puts even prosthetics behind research, and even if I didn't, I really like the wheelchair idea!  I mean, even today, we have access to prosthetic legs/etc, and yet - we still use wheelchairs!

If someone wanted to collaborate on this, I could probably figure out how to handle "user cannot go quickly unless on smooth floors." But I have no idea how to set up equipment or anything like that, nor do I want to try drawing a wheelchair.

I think the spacer version might be an ultra-lightweight wheelchair built using plasteel which could easily bring the pawn to speeds above walking while on smooth surfaces.  (I love those new handicapped symbols they are starting to use in parking spaces that look like the racing wheelchairs)  Or maybe a mechanized version that has an internal gyroscope that keeps the pawn stable in rough terrain.

Bonus points: there are plenty of people out there who use wheelchairs that would probably be delighted to see such an option in the game.

SpaceDorf

The Wheelchair is interesting, because it's use is beyond peg-legs. It is a way to deal with a frail or broken back, that would leave a Pawn immobile even with archotech legs.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Canute

Can't you use the Yes,vehicle mod to create a wheelchair the patient could mount ?

Alternativ you can craft a wheelchair as prostetic and add this with a simple surgery to a pawn.

LWM

redliontwo

Gone are the days when any kind of physical disability would completely cripple one's life. If technology has been the reason behind improving the lives of the disabled, then geeks are the souls who used technology as a medium to create a better life for the disabled. A conventional mindset will have pity on the condition of disabled, but for a geeky mind, it is a yet another opportunity to prove that life can be made better. For instance, if a geek gets disabled because of some unfavorable reason, he would not spend days and nights lamenting on the fact, but instead, would look for methods and ways to improve his living conditions and become at par with the normal ones.

Alenerel

Quote from: SpaceDorf on January 16, 2020, 01:13:13 PM
The Wheelchair is interesting, because it's use is beyond peg-legs. It is a way to deal with a frail or broken back, that would leave a Pawn immobile even with archotech legs.

Bad back can be healed with a bionic spine. Frail cannot.
In any case, a wheel chair should be as fast as a pair of peg legs... And frail +2 bionic legs is better than that

Canute

A wheel chair should be as fast the manipulation skill are ! :-)

Ukas

I like the idea a lot. As a house rule I don't make own bionic replacements, so in my game 2 bionic legs are luxury. Next game I'll play will be with westernization + steam world mods, wheel chair would be the perfect replacement for bionic spine there.

Canute

Hmm why are bionic legs are luxury ?
Since you play with mods, do you use Hospitality too ?
Setup a sales zones which all the unwanted nontainted appareal and weapons is stored and you guest will buy them.
Let your crafter craft some cheap apparel from unwanted leather and put them on a sales zone too same for surplus drugs.
And you will have enough silver to buy resources,components and bionics from tradecaravan/ships.

Ukas

Quote from: Canute on October 23, 2020, 08:52:09 AM
Hmm why are bionic legs are luxury ?
Since you play with mods, do you use Hospitality too ?
Setup a sales zones which all the unwanted nontainted appareal and weapons is stored and you guest will buy them.
Let your crafter craft some cheap apparel from unwanted leather and put them on a sales zone too same for surplus drugs.
And you will have enough silver to buy resources,components and bionics from tradecaravan/ships.

I tried hospitality for a while, but dropped it, too easy to get new colonists. Bionic legs are a luxury in the sense that they are rare. I send out caravans all the time, buy & store all kinds of bionic things etc every chance I get, but still sometimes two or three years might go before I find one piece of certain kind of bionic part.

Canute

IMO Bionc legs are not standard maybe but not luxury.
Archotech implants are luxury since you can't craft them.
Or maybe try the mod Tribal Fungi, they got an unique way for body enhancements :-)
Rim of Madness - cult got some body enhancements too, you need to sacrifice a prisoner to get a random part.
Rim of Magic, regrowth body enhancements as a druid, not that easy. But the mod is overall very overpowered (but you encounter some new events like a Lich King).

Ukas

In your game sure, but like said earlier, as a house rule I don't craft bionic replacements, so having 2 bionic legs in storage is very unusual to me.

A wheel chair mod wouldn't be for all players but certainly some gamers would find use for it. Many play steam world mod, wheel chairs would fit in greatly.