New to game and can't find info on Cooking Food - everyone starves

Started by AikenAidan, January 16, 2020, 11:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AikenAidan

I have tried everything I can think of. Cook fires , Wood fire cook stove , electric cook stoves , and all 3 people have cooking skill [one had 12 ++ skill]. Garden was 1st thing built , and the best gunner was out hunting. Killed dozens and nothing gathered. Even had a Freezer build and set to FOOD stuffs only right next to the 2 cook stoves. Nothing gets cooked and meat never gets gathered. [ No suitable storage???]

Can someone direct me to Game Information. ?

LWM

The game information may be lacking...

Here's a set of things to do that can help you out:
Make a dumping stockpile zone, and your pawns will take their kills there (or set your freezer zone to hold fresh animal corpses (not rotten) - it's not under "food" but at the bottom).
Make a butcher table or spot and then you see that "Bills" tab in the lower left?  Click on that and create a bill "Butcher animal" - that will get you Meat.
Then you need a campfire or stove, and you again go to the Bills tab.  Then you set up a "make simple meal" and your pawns will start cooking once they know they are supposed to!  (in some ways, they're pretty dumb, right?)

Viola, food.

SpaceCows

Quote from: AikenAidan on January 16, 2020, 11:31:12 AM
I have tried everything I can think of. Cook fires , Wood fire cook stove , electric cook stoves , and all 3 people have cooking skill [one had 12 ++ skill]. Garden was 1st thing built , and the best gunner was out hunting. Killed dozens and nothing gathered. Even had a Freezer build and set to FOOD stuffs only right next to the 2 cook stoves. Nothing gets cooked and meat never gets gathered. [ No suitable storage???]

Can someone direct me to Game Information. ?
A screenshot would be helpful!

As LWM mentioned, you need to add bills to both the butcher table & the stove. For butchering, set it to "Do Forever" and for meals, set it to "Do until you have X". Otherwise, they'll just butcher a single animal/make a single meal.

You can try adding both food and corpses -> animal to your stockpile zone if you want to store animal corpses with your food.

Bozobub

It sounds very much like you have not set any bills (at the stoves) to cook food.  For any task that requires a "production spot" (stove, crafting table, stonecutting table, etc.), you must set up "bills" for any production to happen.

Additionally, this is not enough to get a given pawn to perform a specific task; you must also make sure w/e task is both in their work priorities AND high-enough priority that they don't do other things, instead.
Thanks, belgord!

Pizi

just curios , does the tutorial not teach you how to set up bills ?

asanbr

Quote from: SpaceCows on January 20, 2020, 10:01:43 AM

You can try adding both food and corpses -> animal to your stockpile zone if you want to store animal corpses with your food.

Don't store corpses with food in the same space as you are cooking, it will cause the area to be unclean and increase food poisoning. Correct me if wrong.

Pizi

i think he meant animal corpses which is perfectly fine (like in the fridge) as long as they are not rotting

Canute

Quote from: asanbr on January 30, 2020, 06:21:00 PM
Quote from: SpaceCows on January 20, 2020, 10:01:43 AM

Don't store corpses with food in the same space as you are cooking, it will cause the area to be unclean and increase food poisoning. Correct me if wrong.
So far i know, corpse arn't unclean just very ugly (-100 beauty).
But butchering corpses cause many dirty, so you shouldn't butcher and cook close together.
At my setup i use a 5x5 kitchen that is direct connected to a 15x15 (trade beacon range) freezer. And i butcher inside the freezer (not 100% optimal because of the bad temp. malus at working).

And btw. does noone notice the original poster, didn't login after he post his question.