World won't generate, and a crash report completely closes my game.

Started by normansnoreman, January 21, 2020, 04:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

normansnoreman

Now to say that I don't ask for much would be an understatement, I know that having the ludicrous amounts of mods that I have would inevitably set me up for a complete standstill like this. As I said before, I have a ridiculous amount of mods, with a wall of red errors confronting me after I initialize. This is nothing new, and it really didn't do anything to me before, so I usually shrug that off. I then make my way to create a new world, and whenever I click on generate, 4 dots later and a crash report comes up, which automatically exits me out of the game! For a while I was completely distraught, until a couple of hours before me writing this, I found a post which shares my struggle: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=47812.0

To know that I'm not alone on this gives me enough hope to finally use the official forums to ask for help. I have never experienced a problem like this in my 500+ hours of this game, and I really wish I could put this behind me. If there is any other information I didn't disclose here, please let me know as soon as you see a fault, and I will get onto explaining that in the best detail I can manage.

So here's the skinny: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gQK2C_UsS2EI5txx6A1wri0Apwssx2KGmcL81N7Z1Fw/edit?usp=sharing

*EDIT*I guess I have my share of problems too, like forgetting to upload what crash report I got!

And here's where I'd put my save file...
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4z9KxuCfCX2OHQLd2OmPMfqL2NECIsw2LzGZefXDZMsmSW2fl&s

Canute

Quote, I have a ridiculous amount of mods, with a wall of red errors confronting me after I initialize.
Yep i saw them.
You know with this alot of error's serveral mod don't work or not like you would await what they do. Maybe at the mass of your mod's you wouldn't miss it.
But basicly every error at rimworld startup increase the chance that your colony will encounter a critical error that prevent your from playing it.
And now it striked you, maybe because of all these errors or maybe one or more mod's got auto-updated and made it even worser.

And i don't give you hope to restore your safegame, it is nearly impossible specialy when rimworld like to crash after loading.

Just be sure to have no error's on Rimworld startup, that increase the chance for a succesful playthrough.

Btw. the feature from hugslib the green "Share log" button is a nice way to share modlist and logfile. And please don't get a mental break now ! :-)

normansnoreman

Thank you for your input, and I had a feeling that this would be no easy fix. But I just don't want to give up so easily. This reply has the folder crash report I was talking about in the *EDIT*, so perhaps that has more info. If its a matter of memory, my computer has the specs required to make that kind of magic happen. So I will continue to try and stay tuned to this forum discussion!

Also sorry about the lack of Hugslib use, if it comes down to it I will use it, but I just don't wanna wait the 10 minute startup time I've become accustomed to for now.

Canute

QuoteD:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin64.exe, run by Arcas.
87% memory in use.
8150 MB physical memory [984 MB free].
18902 MB paging file [7115 MB free].
134217728 MB user address space [134209245 MB free].
No it isn't an "out of memory" crash.

Eliminate all the error's at startup by removing mods.
Or rebuild the modlist while you activate mod's at small batches (5-10) so you notice when an error show up.
Identify the mod, check if that mod maybe need another mod to work, check the mod discussion about problems and/or ask the mod author about it (pointless when he isn't online for a longer time).
Better don't use a mod that give you errors.

normansnoreman

Well I am trying your process of elimination method of fives, and so far I have found no debug errors popping up at all! I will continue the journey until I find a debug screen popup.

normansnoreman

normansnoreman

So, after doing what you said, I have come to the pretty obvious conclusion that Fastrack has you covered for most major mods... really wish I knew that several hours ago...

However I also have learned its not a fix-all for every mod, so i'll just have to keep an eye out from now on!

Canute

Sorry but there isn't a database about "safe" mod's.
Most common mod's are safe.
Mod's that got updated got a good chance to work well, or at last the mod author work on it when you report bugs.
Patch mods that are older (last update) then the mod which need to patch should be used wit caution.

But once you have your basic working modlist, you can expand this with new theme mod, and it shouldn't take that much time anymore.

normansnoreman

I seem to be encountering the same problem as before, but hopefully I will get closer to an answer. I think the problem reignited because I kinda rushed through a part of the list last night, though I think anyone sifting through mods for 5 hours might become a bit impatient. I guess I will just have to start halfway through again!

Canute

Yeah, thats the annoying part.
Once the modlist get bigger and bigger the loading time expand too.
Special when you add these mod with alot of content.
That why i keep my modlist pretty small (below 200) and exchange theme mods instead to add them. I liked to play new colonies with different races/abilities.

If you got steam, maybe take a look at mod collections from someone else. Many of them you can play without problems.

normansnoreman

Ill keep that in mind for the future, but for now everything seems to be working properly! As I thought it was just a few bad apples that spoiled the whole gigantic, disgustingly sweet pie that is my modlist. I'm really satisfied with how it turned out, and I can rest easy knowing that there are more ways than one to do this sort of thing. Thank you so much for your help, and making me see reason!

normansnoreman

Well, even when I think the problems I was experiencing were long behind me, a day goes by and several mods that were completely functional with Fastrack suddenly decide to give me the same problems as before, and completely softlock my current campaign with a grey screen as the kibble cherry on top. Not to mention even with the new mods I installed for that new campaign, I experienced no problems with them until today.

I think I might just give up on Rimworld for a bit...