A Bitter World

Started by kclace, January 22, 2020, 09:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kclace

-Biome:Ice Sheet
-Mods: Faction Control (Mechanoid Only), More Mechanoids, Xuv Flares
Scenario: Colony 1. [XUV flare every other day]

<<<<Begin Transcript>>>>>
Katie: Defector. Designated Colony Leader.

Prologue

We all came from a midworld ruled by an evil dictator. He killed his opponents without mercy and I helped him stay in power. But politics was shifting. Unrest was breaking out, and I knew that it was time to get out. So I paid a smuggler to take me and a few other people off world to the outermost planet in the system. XV 11

They tried to terraform it back in the day, but it didn't quite work out. Sure, it's got surface water and a breathable atmosphere, but the average temperature is about -40 F. Also, the M Class star in this system is a bitch. It kicks off massive flares constantly. Since XV II doesn't have a magnestosphere, the planet gets cooked in lethal radiation every other day.

It seemed like the perfect place to hide out, assuming we could survive.

Now the other people that came with me each had their own reasons. A couple of them were deep space miners looking to get rich. One was a geologist interested in studying rocks,and I'm pretty sure one guy had just broken out of prison. They had their reasons, but they all knew that the only rule on the ground would be my rule.

Day 1

We came well prepared to set up a base. We brought plenty of food and building materials. Unfortunately, we couldn't smuggle any weapons past customs, so we knew we'd have to manufacture or buy them from a passing trade ship.

Day 3

We ended up setting up our base in a network of caves. It was the only way we could survive the radiation. The first few nights were cold, but once we got the solar panels deployed, it warmed up pretty quickly. We got hit with our first flare. It cooked a couple of rabbits that were caught out in the open.It's amazing this world has any life at all.

Day 10:

Things are coming together. We got rooms built, and I just finished researching hydroponics so we'll be growing our own food in no time at all. The flares are intense and constant, keeping us indoors. It may be taking a tole psychologically on some in the group. There have been a few failed romances too. God help us if someone wanders off in a daze while we're getting blasted with radiation.

Day 14:

I spotted a rogue mechanoid scouting out the area. I was afraid of this. I've heard stories that sometimes the mechanoids on these failed terraforming projects go rogue and attack all forms of life thinking that humans are a plague or something.  Since we are still defenseless, this is going to make things much harder.Fortunately,the mechanoid decided to attack some bugs and got killed. Speaking of which, that's another problem I'll need to watch out for.

Day 20:

We got a distress signal from a starfighter pilot that went down close to our location. I did the math. There was no way we could reach his location without getting fried by the radiation. It was a cold calculation, but I wasn't going to risk losing people on a half assed rescue attempt.

To be continued...

kclace

Day 24:

Observed a spelopide migration during an XUV flare. Note: They did not succumb to the radiation. Boy those terraforming corporations sure know how to breed hardy mutant insects!

Nghtlings are OP

Please continue, this is awesome

kclace

[Unfortunately this game ended somewhat stupidly. So the ending is not that great. But I hope it gave you all some good ideas for a fun game. Try out doing a game with repeat event XUV flare, ice sheet, maximum cold, and even add permanent condition toxic fall out. Give your colonists whatever gear you think they need and tell me how it goes!]

Day 30:

We found Cobb wandering around in a daze during an XUV flare. He was muttering some gibberish and on the verge of passing out. Hopefully the radiation won't do any long term damage.

Day 35:

We don't know for certain, but we think that Cobb now has dementia as a result of his radiation exposure. He keeps forgetting things, I'll have to keep a closer eye on him.

Day 40:

Cobb wandered off again during an XUV flare. I went out there and arrested him before the radiation killed him. The group continues to suffer from mental break downs associated with living conditions. I'll admit, this is getting to be claustrophobic!

Day 45:

We got another distress signal. Another poor sap crash landed. When I ordered everyone to ignore it, there was outright rebellion. It was madness. I told them they'd never pull off a rescue attempt in -80 degree weather. But they wouldn't listen. Everyone's gone but me.

Day 50: Everyone's dead. But at least the comms are working. I'll wait this out, then bribe the next ship captain that comes my way to get off this world. I'll have to take my chances out in the Big Black.

Day 55:

<<<<<<Data over ride Access. Complete Download Transcript.>>>>>

Intruders detected. Lancer2564B and Scyther76A deployed to grid 0191. Human subject eliminated. All Bio matter scourged. All data intercepted and stored at HiveCentral.  Maintain mission parameter. Cleanse all biohazards.