[1.0, 1.1] Some finished animal-related mods - New to modding!

Started by Moogie, March 30, 2020, 04:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moogie

Hi! I thought I would dip my toes in to some simple modding. I put this here instead of Releases, because even though I've been using these in my own game and they seem to work fine, I don't yet have the confidence to throw them out there and declare them worthy of being added to people's saves. I'm very new to all this. They also don't have proper Preview pngs yet.

I also don't know about compatibility with 1.0. I think they should work in 1.0? But my entire playing experience has been in 1.1, so... I dunno! That's why I'd like some brave testers to try it out before releasing these properly.

I'm new to Rimworld in general, but I can't resist tweaking stuff to my liking. A lifetime of Bethesda games instilled that in me, I guess. ;D

So, here is what I'm offering today:

Animal Litters makes it so that, wherever it makes sense to do so, vanilla animals generally produce litters and egg clutches rather than just 1-2 offpsring and single egg per pregnancy. I didn't let the numbers be too extreme, for gameplay purposes, but it's obviously still going to have an impact on game balance. Mainly, I was thinking about players like me who enjoy the idea of being ranchers/farmers, but were frustrated by needing to keep a big group of hungry adult animals around just for a decent supply of new meat or eggs. With this, you'll only need a few adults, and when the babies grow up, you can batch-slaughter most of them immediately.

Interbreeding lets animals of any faction or tameness mate, as long as they're not wild females. This means your livestock can be impregnated by wild or visitor-owned males. I consider this helpful mostly at the start of a game where you might not have afforded to bring a mating pair of animals, but also, it just makes sense to me. A wild buck or stallion seeing a group of females in his territory isn't going to care what "faction" they belong to, and the same for animals that arrive in trade caravans.

Wild Breeding is similar to the above, but has its restrictions lifted, so that wild animals can also mate with each other and breed on your map. I disallowed this in Interbreeding because it could lead to population explosions, but if you really want full realism, not to mention lots of meat and hides, this option exists. :) For both these, and especially if you're using Animal Litters too (you absolute madman), I highly recommend using a Neuter mod, so that things don't spiral out of control.

Oh, and don't use both Interbreeding and Wild Breeding at the same time. Pick one or the other. I made them give deliberate (but harmless) errors if you try to use both.

What do you think? Decent start, or am I committing crimes against moddality? I've tried to keep my patches clean and following good practices. But if you have any tips in that regard, I would love to hear them! Especially since the Breeding mods use an Assembly, and I am very new to that whole sphere in particular. I'm pretty sure I did not need to use Harmony, so I didn't, but please correct me if this is wrong.

Thanks for looking!

TwistedMinds

Such simple ideas, yet the kind I didn't know I wanted until you made them. They're definitely going in my modlist, thank you!
Someone else will have to look at the technical correctness of these mods, but if I see anything strange I'll let you know.

Sam Gray

Pretty cool stuff, congrats.
There is a similar mod called Wild Animal Sex which kinda simulates predator-prey relations which spawns predators when prey population is high but due to the way it's designed or coded a ton of calculations happen when the mod is installed causing lag. Cool idea but poor execution.
Your take seems simpler and lighter on CPU load.

Moogie

Quote from: CyanSam on April 02, 2020, 04:44:44 PM
Pretty cool stuff, congrats.
There is a similar mod called Wild Animal Sex which kinda simulates predator-prey relations which spawns predators when prey population is high but due to the way it's designed or coded a ton of calculations happen when the mod is installed causing lag. Cool idea but poor execution.
Your take seems simpler and lighter on CPU load.

I saw it, that is partly why I went ahead and made a version of my own. It's cool the work they did on designing such a complex system, but I wanted to keep it simple.

By the way, I was just reminded that it would be a good idea to link the Github: https://github.com/MoogieOuttaMyDepth/RimworldMods Source is up there for anyone interested. My question re: the need for Harmony stands with regards to the breeding mods. I think I might need to use it for maximum compatibility? But also, it seems pretty complicated and I haven't taken a real stab at it yet.

Moogie

I found and fixed a bug today that was letting wild eggs deterioriate still in Wild Breeding. For anyone using this mod, you will want to grab the fixed file from GitHub and replace your local copy.

lobz

These mods are pretty cool! Any chance you'll add them to Steam? It would be convenient for keeping updated.