High CPU Usage on World Tab

Started by lampp, February 06, 2020, 07:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lampp

Hello. This is my first time using the forums, so I apologize if I don't post this correctly.

I'm having a really odd issue with the world tab lagging the game incredibly badly. The game runs about three seconds behind where it should be, and my CPU quickly shoots to 100%. Moving past the issue and selecting a colony location lets the game run normally, and I can play with no difference in lag. However, the problem rearrises when I go back to the world tab, whereas it's just as bad as before. Closing it out gives similar results to leaving the location selection. This isn't doesn't occur when I'm at any other screen; only the world menu.

I've checked task manager to make sure it was just RimWorld; it is. I've done a reinstall, and the issue has persisted, with no mods installed. There is no error code on the debug screen, and everything looks normal there. I've played RimWorld on this computer for about 300 hours - this issue has only come up now. I haven't had any hardware issues, and other games run perfectly.

I'm going to continue trying to see what the issue is, and if I find out, I'll be sure to post it. Otherwise, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Canute

Hi,
when you have no error and don't use mods, there isn't much we can do here.
Just test it at my side, at the world map the CPU load is even a bit lower then when i am on the colony map.
So it is very odd issue indeed.
Maybe an issue with lately updated video/sound driver or an OS update.

Since you said you did reinstall it allready, you can try to delete the Config folder (area where the safegames are) to reset them to default.
And if you played with a different language maybe try engl.

Good lucky to find the issue.

lampp

Thanks for the quick reply! Gave checking the drivers a try, and tried deleting the file again. Didn't help. As I'm an English speaker, I tried to switch to Spanish, but that didn't help either. It could potentially be something to do with a Windows Update, but I don't have any experience on removing that.

I was already planning on upgrading some hardware on my computer (My RAM and Hard Drive, which aren't related to this issue directly), and I'll mention if that fixes it.

Canute

How much RAM do you have ?
If you got an old system with just 4 GB RAM, it could maybe happen that your system run out of memory and windows start to swap memory on the harddrive which is alot slower then normal RAM access.
If you got more then 4 GB i don't think thats a reason.

lampp

I had 4GB of RAM. However, it wasn't the issue, as I just installed 16GB and tested it again. The hard drive I ordered was wrong so I can't say that's not the issue, but it wasn't the RAM. Seems to be something else.

Attached (if I did it right haha) is a capture of my computer's performance. Opening the world screen, roughly halfway through the 60 seconds that task manager records at a time, is where you can see the CPU heavily spike. Closing back out of it is where you can see it calm back down. The RAM never went past 25% of its max, and my disk only hit ~40%.

lampp

I found the solution to my problem!

Turns out the graphics driver I had completely uninstalled itself. I have a IntelĀ® UHD Graphics 620 processor, but for whatever reason, my computer switched over to the basic Microsoft version instead. Probably should have checked the name of the driver, instead of using device manager to uninstall and reinstall it. ;D

If anyone else faces this problem, at least with an Intel Processor, simply go to the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and let it reinstall the driver.

Going to lock the thread, as my problem is solved. Thanks for the help!