Is there any chance of some new performance updates?

Started by jager666, February 09, 2020, 05:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jager666

Hi all,

I've been wondering, if there's any more updates regarding the technical side of Rimworld, mainly the performance. I've done some comparisions lately, and for now the performance is almost similar on 2nd gen overclocked 2600k, 6nd processor and the new Ryzen 3xxx series.

Using the "Show TPS" mod on 2600k, a five year colony with 12 people and few animals are going from starting 800 TPS to average 200-300 TPS.
Obviously, the mods slow things down, so I slimmed the modlist to add only cosmetic/UI/graphical enhancements, besides few heavier ones like CE and Save our Ship 2.

I've read somewhere, that the new Unity engine versions have built-in functions to optimize the game on a multi-core processors, is there any chance that Rimworld could use that new functions? (don't quote me on anything tho, I'm not expert in those things). Would it be feasible to do it?

It would be nice to have some info in any more optimization is planned, or the developement is stopped altogether now.

Bozobub

Beyond bugfixes and name-in-game updates, yes, RW is complete.

Please note, however that a) this is a boon to mod writers, since they don't need to update quite so often, and b) updating for a new version of Unity is NOT trivial; it would require a rewrite of the entire game and is quite out of the scope of a minor update.
Thanks, belgord!

Livingston I Presume

I play basically vanilla but still notice stutter and slowdown in the late game quite considerably and my PC is reasonable.  Are there any ini files that can be edited to improve performance or ways to increase the amount of RAM the game uses?

Or is this there simply a mod for this?  (knowing this community the answer is yes)

Jibbles

Quote from: jager666 on February 09, 2020, 05:19:21 PM
It would be nice to have some info in any more optimization is planned, or the developement is stopped altogether now.

Development has pretty much stopped.  There is this post but I wouldn't get my hopes up about it. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=49133.msg467326#msg467326

Quote from: Livingston I Presume on February 10, 2020, 10:03:00 PM
I play basically vanilla but still notice stutter and slowdown in the late game quite considerably and my PC is reasonable.  Are there any ini files that can be edited to improve performance or ways to increase the amount of RAM the game uses?

Or is this there simply a mod for this?  (knowing this community the answer is yes)

Guess you can try out that RuntimeGC mod but I never had much luck with it.

Bozobub

RuntimeGC only helps additional late-game stutter, caused by the proliferation of "known" pawns and associated event history (used a lot for artworks, among other things).
Thanks, belgord!