[1.0] Is there any performance advantage to playing on Linux?

Started by ProfZelonka, February 13, 2020, 10:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfZelonka

I remember seeing a few threads on Linux getting better performance at one point. Is this still a thing with 1.0 of the game release, or is it an even playing field? (Keeping in mind that apart from the game, Windows 10 in itself has more crap that's on in the background by default, of course..)

Canute

The past advance of linux was the 64bit version, so you could play larger maps and alot of mods then with the 32bit version.
But now all OS versions got a 64bit version.

I can't speak about the performace. Many user report a small freezes/lags
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=49133.0
but honestly i never expierence these or i am not sensible enough to notice them and i use Win10.

ProfZelonka

Thanks! Yeah that's what I figured. I do play huge maps with at least 200 mods, so any bit of performance matters, but honestly - it's still playable.. Not ideal, and I try to limit colonist jobs to specialized assignments, but it works. I'm on an i7 4790K @ 4GHz stock.

I've turned off a lot of Windows bulk and autoruns, etc, so I think I've done all I can(?) with Windows 10.

Any Windows performance suggestions welcome, as well as if there is by chance an advantage on Linux.

LWM

I'm running the SolydX flavor of Linux - it's a super lightweight distro, so there's very minimal background crap going on.  There isn't as much eye candy, I guess?  Not that notice or anything.

Anyway, I'm running 131 mods on an SSD (no JecsTools or CE, which are rumored to be slow), and as long as I am not running 8 Firefox windows with 4-14 tabs apiece, I don't notice stutter or slowness on medium-sized colonies, and my startup time is well under a minute.  If I am running that much Firefox  ::), I will notice slowdown in speed 3.  It's not enough to make my bother closing/suspending Firefox.

I have not tried playing under my Windows installation; maybe I wills someday? Just to compare 8)

Bozobub

Hey, thanks for the FF mention; I always forget to recommend closing any browser (all are notorious memory and CPU hogs) when these threads pop up.  Derp ::) ...
Thanks, belgord!

Paul_

Quote from: ProfZelonka on February 13, 2020, 10:15:34 PMWindows 10 in itself has more crap that's on in the background by default, of course..

If you want Windowst 10 without crap, use LTSC version. It's hard to say if it brings any higher performance in the game since there is no ingame benchmark.