garbage

Started by kelmvor, February 14, 2020, 09:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelmvor

garbage...
Run into this garbage collecting issue where I lag or stutter every few seconds. Tried a million things I've put into other posts. it is very noticable stutter. jerks the screen to where if im placing something like in a row, one will be placed several tiles away. all speeds. modded. unmodded. etc. last year i played HUNDREDS of hours, i dont know what is different now to where i cant fix it. i5-4460 cpu (no not the best but like i said it worked fine before) 980ti gpu 20g ddr3 ram

-gc cleaner
-complete uninstall, unsubscribe.
-install on different hard drives.
-administrator mode
-without steam
-found an old version of the game and tried that
-updated drivers
-rolled back drivers to ones from year or so ago.
-reformat hard drive
-reinstall windows 10
-older versions of hugslib and jecs ( i will concede that unmodded the stutter came less frequently)
-used one mod i forget which, but it shows u the ticks and what not and when its on the bottom bar of your gameplay shows you when memory is full or needs allocated and when that is full is the stutter. so thats the garbaghe collecting i believe right? but it gets full SO fast and VERY noticable stutter.
-cleaned out inside of my entire unit of dust and crud
-cleaned and put new thermal glue on cpu.
-tried the game on different pc, less powerful
-have 144hz monitor (not gsync)
-on 144hz that is gsync
-tested on diff variations of hz.
-set fps cap under whichever hz i used
-tried tons of variations of settings in nvidia control panel.
-tried with no nvidia driver
-hdmi and dvi
-used razor game boost thing ( and without)

-noticed on other topics like this on ludeon forums people get mad and accusing for some reason since they dont have the stutter. I do, so what has changed on my end to make it act like this?idk thats why im asking for helphelphelp.

so. what havent i tried? been at this for weeks now.

Canute

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=49133.0
Basicly you can't do anything.
At it is 100% a software problem, so any manipulation on you hardware is pointless.

kelmvor

But why is it so noticeable and game ruining for some ?

Canute

Because an OS is very complex and you allways have a different combination of hardware/software for each user.
And personaly i still think it is a bad combination of video driver, background task and unity.

Unless you are a system developer, you just can wait and hope for a solution.
Meanwhile if you got another PC, you can try to use that from Rimworld and check if you got there these lag's too.

kelmvor

Diff pc is one of the things I listed at tried.

Kaelen Mosar

From Changelog
"The game now uses an incremental garbage collector, which should remove the periodic frame hitches that would appear when a lot of memory was allocated and released. However, note that there is still a cost to memory allocations, so modders should still try to reduce allocation wherever possible."

And well the root of the problem is too many mods with unoptimized software
let's hope they managed to fix this!

Jibbles

Quote from: Kaelen Mosar on February 17, 2020, 06:59:40 PM

And well the root of the problem is too many mods with unoptimized software
let's hope they managed to fix this!

I can't believe that modders are taking the hit for all of it, of course that's what happens when dev point fingers at them on the issue. You get the fans echoing it. Sure, some will cause issues. but.. There are lots of posts about people experiencing severe stutter issues in vanilla, using no mods, clean install.  I've dealt with it personally on several machines more than capable to run such a game without pushing a large map or colony. Mods are not the root of the problem.