[1.0] [1.1] BetterLoading v2

Started by Samboy063, February 16, 2020, 03:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samboy063

Hello all,

Now supports both Rimworld 1.0 and 1.1!

Following the success of my mod BetterLoading which I posted here a year or so back, I've finally been through, cleaned up the UI, added support for HugsLib's mod initialization (which runs after the main game initializes), rewrote the backend to hopefully make it more stable, and also tried to reduce some of the really annoying freezing you see in vanilla RimWorld's loading process, especially towards the end.

I'm happy to announce that this process is now finished and (in theory) the mod is ready for public consumption.
However, I've had to make a pretty significant change to the loading process in order to fix the freezing, so mod incompatibilities might occur (I just fixed an issue which could have affected a lot of mods, so hopefully we should be golden now).

The ONLY incompatibility I'm aware of is Startup Impact - and it's not a major issue, just that Startup Impact may not be 100% accurate due to the changed loading process. I don't know, I haven't looked at its code, but there is a little warning saying something like "Failed to measure time" at the bottom of its dialog box.

Update 2.1 (2020-02-17 @ 17:35 GMT)
Added 2 new loading stages to provide more useful info than "Waiting for vanilla" just before the "finalizing mods" stage.
Also, this mod MUST now be loaded above Startup Impact (and Fluffy's Mod Manager will warn you) or your game will not finish loading, ever!

Please put this mod above core in the load order for best results!

If you use the steam workshop, the mod can be obtained here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1999454301. There are also a couple screenshots of the UI on that page.
Alternatively, you can get the mod from github releases at https://github.com/SamboyCoding/RimworldBetterLoading/releases/latest

Hexwall

Oh this seems neat! Will try it later and report back. Question, in which order should this be placed?

Samboy063

Hi, sorry for the late reply. This should go above core in the load order.

Canute

Hi,
personaly i found the display from v1 better.
You have a display bar for each seperated step. Better information special when you miss it at first to look at it.

And maybe a request, could be the display stay open until you pressed any button at the menu menu ?

Hexwall

So I tried this mod while I was also trying a new mod load order following a guide and this error kept popping all the time. I couldn't even press ESC to open the menu and close it, had to use the task manager. I tried the mod with my usual mod order and same thing happened. I know my load order must be messy but please take a look at the debug log
https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/b0cc7682527e7611e2953b38c9b82146

EDIT: NVM, something else is causing this and idk what and im bout to lose it

Samboy063

Quote from: Hexwall on February 17, 2020, 10:10:54 AM
So I tried this mod while I was also trying a new mod load order following a guide and this error kept popping all the time. I couldn't even press ESC to open the menu and close it, had to use the task manager. I tried the mod with my usual mod order and same thing happened. I know my load order must be messy but please take a look at the debug log
https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/b0cc7682527e7611e2953b38c9b82146

EDIT: NVM, something else is causing this and idk what and im bout to lose it

If it helps, looks like this is Common Sense's harmony patch that's screwing up

Samboy063

Quote from: Canute on February 17, 2020, 06:48:35 AM
Hi,
personaly i found the display from v1 better.
You have a display bar for each seperated step. Better information special when you miss it at first to look at it.

And maybe a request, could be the display stay open until you pressed any button at the menu menu ?

The separate bars aren't coming back, sorry. It wasn't sustainable in terms of adding more detail to this screen.

Not sure what the point of the screen staying open would be?

Canute

No big deal, since you don't split the screen the information would be minimal after the loading anyway.
Much more informations are at the logfile/window now.

Hexwall

Quote from: Samboy063 on February 17, 2020, 12:38:44 PMIf it helps, looks like this is Common Sense's harmony patch that's screwing up

Removed it and error persists, wasnt that