New map options

Started by Bog, July 31, 2014, 01:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bog

So I was thinking about what would be the one thing I'd most like to see in the next release.

I decided that it would be a few map options under the "advanced" options when starting a match.

Specifically I'd like to have the following:

Mountain on top: Yes/No/Random
Mountain on right: Yes/No/Random
Mountain on left: Yes/No/Random
Mountain on bottom: Yes/No/Random

That way when starting a match I could choose what kind of to be in.

I could make a completely open map. I could make a map with mountains down both sides so I can colonize the valley in the middle. I could make a map where there are mountains on three sides and I only have to defend from one direction.

It'd probably have to disallow players enabling all four walls, unless Tynan would want to put a bunch more work into it. I imagine to make it work so we could play in a "hidden valley" there'd have to be some changes/tweaks so it doesn't mess everything up. Things I can think of:

Make the play area in the middle not turn into a cave.
Make it so that raids will only come through droppods on this map type.
Make it so that animals spawn randomly out in the open.

If I was really bold, I'd ask for it to be more like this:

Mountain on top: Yes/Scattered/No/Random
Mountain on right: Yes/Scattered/No/Random
Mountain in Centre: Yes/Scattered/No/Random
Mountain on left: Yes/Scattered/No/Random
Mountain on bottom: Yes/Scattered/No/Random

Hohoho that'd be fun. I'd probably get 5+ more playthroughs without getting even remotely bored. I could for example make a map with all the sides empty and a big mountain in the middle to build my base in. It'd be like the lonely mountain in the hobbit. ;D

For a challenge I could make a map with all the mountains off so that I'd have to rely on an agricultural economy. Limited stone and nearly no metal on the map would mean that outdoor tree and strawberry farms would be the norm. I'd have to use mostly wooden walls for defense, and I'd need to sell berries so I could get silver to buy whatever metal I'd need. That'd be an awesome match.

PS: Looking back at the second last comment... I seem to have turned into Santa Claus in my excitement. ::)
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)