safe rooms

Started by Fruit loops, July 27, 2014, 10:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fruit loops

So have you ever had raids that are so massive or hard to defeat that even if you give it your best shot there is just no way to beat it I know that there are some colonies that are near indestructible
but there is always some down fall for instance a tribal raid you take care of them but a psychic drone happens right after and you see all the bodys and everybody goes insane there is other ways I am sure but that's beside the point if you have ever had one of those raids this is your solution
a safe room consists of bedrooms a 1x3 area with a bed and a wood door make as many of them as you have colonists, next a dining room that has a nutrient paste dispenser and a long table filled with chairs/stools next, a stockpile rooms with a supply of potatoes (ill explain how many potatoes you will need later) next, lamps don't put them in the bedrooms there is no space or need put lamps in areas that need brightness don't and them endlessly only where you need them ex: hallways, dining rooms, one or 2 in the stockpile and that's it you don't need them anywhere else next, flooring either wood or carpeting to make them happier finally and most importantly a geothermal this geothermal is going to be connected to the safe room and nothing else its gonna solely power the safe room
optional surround the entire safe room with a metal wall so there is no use for conduits or you can just use conduits
where it needs to be: deep in the mountain REALLY deep In the mountain and somewhat close to a geothermal
the way to it: the one I have in my base has a tunnel (nothing fancy) going to every room in my base all you need to do in mine in to it and walk to the safe room if you don't want to do that you can just have a entrance that is relatively close to everything especially the bedrooms
OMG I almost forgot have no path to the safe room by at least 5 blocks they don't sense you if they have to break more than 4 blocks seal it off completely no entrance what so ever 
supplies: I did math and all that crap to figure this out so here it go's (it could be off by a little bit just bring enough for another meal) So your colonists eat every 22 hours (that may seem off but I tested it) so essentially once every day that last 2 hours can kill you so instead of them eating 7 times a week they do it 8 times a week so 8 meals for a colonist a week so every 10 colonists its 80 meals a week 20 is 160 a week so on and so on, every meal for a nutrient paste dispenser is 10 potatoes (not with the research upgrade) so that's 80 potatoes a week for a single colonist so 800 potatoes a week for ten colonists and 1600 for 20 colonists and so on and so on, mechonoids have one flaw they don't eat so they will starve to death with 800 health that takes a while I put a mech inside room with no way out (I kept making the border biger and biger cause they melee threw the walls) after the first week it had starved 150 hp away (5 every 3 hours) so if I am right they should starve within a month, so there you have it you have to have enough supplies for a month here is the calculations
1 colonist: 320 a month
10 colonists: 3200 a month
20 colonists: 6400 a month

negative affects possible: cabin fever, ate nutrient paste (the next ones are only in use when they are sleeping) in darkness, cramped environment that's it
positive affects possible: had social chat and another couple I forgot them sorry
the negative affects possible can never tip you to the mental break stage not even a ''mental break soon'' warning the negative affects are never enough you are always by the 3/4s good mood area when you are sleeping its around halfway

if you suck at defending mechanoids and attacking sieges (they cant hit you in a thick mountain roof) or just want to be a coward in general this is your solution

this took me FOREVER to type so please respond and tell me if you have any add on's that would make it better or just to correct my math (there has got to be something wrong I know it) but anyways thaks for reading :P
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

BetaSpectre

Ship in a mountain + sleep pods

Draft all colonists and keep them in the pods.

Everything should be quiet after you do...
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

HalfBrother

Cryopods may be useful then. Also, mechanoids "starve"? They're robots right? Strange...perhaps they degrade.

Not to nitpick, but you just typed all that...without any periods?!

Fruit loops

I know I usually don't use periods other than in school I forget... lol

Trelain

You should give it a try, away from school.  It turns seemingly gibberish "TL;DR" into comprehensible thoughts.

Fruit loops

Ha Ha this has a use again you cant use the cryo sleepods anymore :D

HatesYourFace

Quote from: Fruit loops on August 17, 2014, 01:00:40 PM
Ha Ha this has a use again you cant use the cryo sleepods anymore :D

If you can't use cryptosleep pods anymore how do you put your colonists into them to escape the planet?
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

Rahjital

I think he meant using cryptosleep pods on their own to hide them from enemy attacks. It can't be used this way anymore because ships can't be built in mountains anymore.

DeltaV

I like to dig a room out past ~3-5 doors with some beds (medical and otherwise), a bunch of berries, some batteries and a light. When it becomes obvious I'm not going to win a raid, I'll send anyone who's still able-bodied to the room and they'll wait out the raiders. From there, it's just a matter of gradually reclaiming and rebuilding the place.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.