Royalty Expansion

Started by Kori, February 24, 2020, 06:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaelen Mosar

Quote from: Brother of fan on February 24, 2020, 04:24:32 PM
I have a little brother who loves this game and has been playing it since alpha eight but ever since the new DLC dropped he has been depressed and says that the game has been completely ruined. When he first started playing the game he thought of it like a Robinson Caruso type experience where you're trapped on a deserted Planet trying to survive and then build a colony when he first started playing there wasn't even the Escape ship so he just kept building and surviving. Now the game is about buttering up Royals and dealing with decadent Nobles in order to escape you are in a civilization not trapped outside of it. His favorite part of the game was how you made your own story the story of your own colony! He told me he thought you guys understood that! He says that he can't even trust the games he loves to remain the same because of this game and what recently happened with Blizzard. He was able to calm down a little once he found out he could revert the game to a previous version and turn off the DLC. As his caretaker I bought him a DLC to a game he loves and I deeply regret making this purchase and want a refund for this DLC even though I know that can't happen due to Steam's refund policy when it comes to DLC. If any good can come of this comment I hope it's at least of this: that you consider what the game is actually about before designing an expansion and that you explain what's actually in the DLC a little bit better.

Sincerely brother of a fan

@Tynan: yeah think about this. I couldn't say it better than the young noble :D

carbon

I haven't fully utilized the new psycasting aspects of the expansion yet, but I do like how it turns previously less desirable pawn traits / conditions (namely being psychically sensitive and being in pain) into useful boons. It's nice when the game evolves to give you ways to make difficult situations useful. That's good game design.

Same goes for the whole beauty-related suite of augments. No longer are staggeringly ugly and disfigured pawns stuck being universally hated. Noseless pawns rejoice!

ProfZelonka

I have a little brother who loves this game and has been playing it since alpha eight but ever since the new DLC dropped he has been depressed and says that the game has been completely ruined. When he first started playing the game he thought of it like a Robinson Caruso type experience where you're trapped on a deserted Planet trying to survive and then build a colony when he first started playing there wasn't even the Escape ship so he just kept building and surviving. Now the game is about buttering up Royals and dealing with decadent Nobles in order to escape you are in a civilization not trapped outside of it. His favorite part of the game was how you made your own story the story of your own colony! He told me he thought you guys understood that! He says that he can't even trust the games he loves to remain the same because of this game and what recently happened with Blizzard. He was able to calm down a little once he found out he could revert the game to a previous version and turn off the DLC. As his caretaker I bought him a DLC to a game he loves and I deeply regret making this purchase and want a refund for this DLC even though I know that can't happen due to Steam's refund policy when it comes to DLC. If any good can come of this comment I hope it's at least of this: that you consider what the game is actually about before designing an expansion and that you explain what's actually in the DLC a little bit better.

You can still play it however you want to - just don't do the quests..? I share his love for no-directive colony building/surviving. I think RimWorld excels at this more than *any* game has. I think Tynan has kept this in mind, still. The expansion is essentially doing exactly what mods do - enhance the experience with extras. The experience remains, and further DLCs (please?) would in theory only add in addition in-game activity apart from just surviving and expanding a base, likely in a themed-way as Royalty.

I've only played about 4 quests so far, I think they're refreshing from the repetitive same old events that trigger in RimWorld alone. Of course I may change my mind in the future, but so far - it's great!

RicRider

Taking this at face value; had to ignore the thought that you might be flamebait.

If you're going to give a video game to a kid it's important to also teach them about expectations. In this case you need to tell them that the game wasn't specifically made for them and even though they love the game it's not the most important thing in their life. Teach them that even though the game is a sandbox and you can do what you want the very nature of a sandbox is that it will come at you with options that you don't need to do or probably won't do every time; because the options are there for other people who like different things. You can also encourage them to get into game development and then they can make the game they like.

Of course if I'm any judge of character it sounds like the kid has a 'me me me' problem and blaming Tynan and demanding Steam give you a refund is only encouraging this bad behavior.
##Coding Scrub##

TrashMan

I have no intention of purchasing it. It feels overpriced and adds (almost) nothing people were asking for or the game actually needed.

SpaceDorf

Today, when the SendOwl Email about the update arrived, I was able to activate the DLC in Steam.
Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 24, 2020, 01:26:34 PM
You can buy it the same way as original Rimworld. The SendOwl Link opens instantly as soon as you have paid.
( I did via Paypal and it took me longer to figure out that caps lock was active, than it took for the whole paying and download process. )

The Message means, if you buy it that way you don't get your Steam-Key right now but have to wait a few days until Steam has accepted the cold harsh reality of DRM-Free purchases still being available.

As European customer Paypals Exchgange Rate made it slightly more expensive than Steam.
But for Tynan Sylvester, newly crowned Emperor of the Rim, and his tireless crew of Dwarf Fortress Nobles thats just fair.

Today, when the SendOwl Email about the update arrived, I was able to activate the DLC in Steam.
So now I have the best of both worlds, DLC-Free offline gaming and automatic mod updates through steam.
Now I only need Fluffies Mod Manager to smooth out the process of making local copies of the steam mods.

The really horrifying thing is .. though playing offline most of the time, I still have over 1000 logged hours in steam  :o
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

RicRider

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 28, 2020, 02:54:38 PM
The really horrifying thing is .. though playing offline most of the time, I still have over 1000 logged hours in steam  :o

Are you saying RimWorld is a way of life?! ;-)
##Coding Scrub##

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.