[1.1] "Smelt Apparel" error in the english core version

Started by NeverPire, February 24, 2020, 12:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeverPire

When translating, in this file :

DefInjected/RecipeDef/Recipes_Production.xml

I found this really strange paragraph :

<!-- EN: smelt apparel -->

<!-- EN: Use heat and strong electromagnets to break down apparels into useful resources. -->

<!-- EN: Smelting apparel. -->

It looks like a copy/paste from "Smelt Weapons", but without any logic.

Same in the "Destroy apparel paragraph"

<!-- EN: Use heat to destroy unwanted apparels. This process is faster than smelting, and works on non-smeltable items, but yields no resources. -->
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Tynan

Hi NeverPire, thanks for taking a look at the translation again :)

What's the bug here exactly? I don't clearly see an issue.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

NeverPire

I can only find translations of apparel into "clothes" so I don't understand how we could smelt it.

Apparel are made of fabric so "smelt" seems strange.

For the same reason, thinking about the fabric, this sentence
"Use heat and strong electromagnets to break down apparels into useful resources."
seems inadequate to me.

NeverPire

Just because I'm speaking about english version,
pikeman definition is singular, all the others one are plural.

A clunky multi-legged combat mechanoid specialized as a long-range weapons platform. While effective at distance, it is weak in close-range fights and in melee combat.\n\nVeterans of mechanoid wars know that often, the safest place to be around a pikeman is touching it.

This is really only to inform, it is not significant at all.

Tynan

Oh, I understand. Apparel also includes armor, as in helmets or suits of metal. That's what you can smelt.

For the singular/plural description, it's okay if they're not the same plurality.

Let me know if I can close the issue.

NeverPire

If it is not a problem for you that most of the apparels doesn't match with  the description, you can close the issue.
I will keep the original idea, maybe add an extra sentence to match fabric-only clothes recuperation in French.

Like in the title : " Dismantle apparel"
And in the description : "and heat to soften seams and recover fabric from clothes".

Ark

Since clothes cannot actually be smelted, it's confusing that they are in the list of smeltable things in the first place. Right now the bill allows you to allow smelting of things like tuques and t-shirts, yet they cannot be made of smeltable materials.
Of course, maybe someone makes a mod with adamantine wool tuques and mithril t-shirts.
Maybe just call it "smelt armor"? In my opinion it would make sense to use the fabrication bench or machining table to pick apart the high-tech armor to recover some of those neuro-memetic assistors and computers, instead of tossing them into a furnace.

Tynan

Ark, it's definitely good points you make. It's a tricky thing to word. Will take a note.

Anyway it's not really a bug thread any more so let me close this one. Thanks all.