[1.1] Rimworld shows unity crash popup and exits to windows

Started by digitalpope, February 24, 2020, 04:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalpope

Running into this after the 1.1 update when trying to play on my Surface Pro 7.  The first launch worked post update, but subsequent launches fail with the following error in the windows event logs:

Faulting application name: RimWorldWin64.exe, version: 2019.2.17.24627, time stamp: 0x5df1e6e4
Faulting module name: igd10iumd64.dll, version: 26.20.100.7641, time stamp: 0x5dfbc37d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000726559
Faulting process id: 0x1684
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5eb583a30886f
Faulting application path: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_99f3effa9b6e163f\igd10iumd64.dll
Report Id: 8aa18176-0294-480e-bfbc-307a3380186e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I've also repeated the crash with the 64 bit DRM free version without Royalty, but the 32 bit DRM free versions without Royalty does not have a crash on launch.  I don't have the Royalty version in the DRM free flavor to test and see if this is a factor.  Attached are the log files for the x64 and x32 runs for comparison.

Canute

Hi,
igd10iumd64.dll indicate it is a problem with the Intel HD Graphics Drivers.
Try to update these driver or when you use another video card try to deactivate the internal card at the Bios or uninstall it at windows, so the other card get used.

digitalpope

Unfortunately, it's a surface pro 7, so no secondary GPU is available and Microsoft has the GPU drivers pretty locked down.  In that event, is there support to run 32 bit Rimworld via Steam, or is that only via the standalone version.  Additionally, is the Royalty expansion supported in the 32 bit version of the game?

Canute

It shouldn't matter if you use 32 bit or 64 bit, both use the same video driver.
But the new 1.1 use a new unity version, that maybe the problem.
I fear if you don't find any new driver, you might be stuck at 1.0.

Try to google for "igd10iumd64.dll" and maybe you find some more answers.

pesodilla

I have this same problem, the Unity crash log shows the problem is in igd10iumd64.dll. I am using onboard graphics because my good video card crapped out a few months ago, and I haven't been able to replace it yet. Intel HD Graphics 530. It worked fine with Rimworld 1.0, but I have not been able to start the game since 1.1. I am running Steam version, no Royalty expansion, on Windows 10, and have tried the following with no success:

1) Unsubscribed all mods in Steam Workshop
2) Deleted the entire RimWorld folder in AppData
3) Turned off my antivirus and firewall
4) Verified game files
5) Uninstalled, deleted all remaining RimWorld folders in steamapps, restarted my PC, reinstalled
6) Updated my graphics driver to latest version (verified on Intel website, 26.20.100.7870 2/4/2020), restarted PC
7) Uninstalled my graphics driver, restarted PC, updated driver to latest again, restarted PC

Still the game will not start. There are a number of other people complaining of this issue both here and on the Steam message boards. It is starting to feel like it is something that I cannot resolve on my end (without buying a new graphics card, at least). I would love to get some feedback from someone at Ludeon regarding whether or not there is any chance the problem will be looked into on your end. The new version of Unity seems to have completely broken the game for people with certain graphics cards. Surely that is something that can be resolved by a developer? Rimworld is literally one of my favorite games ever (nearly 600 hours played) and it would be such a shame if I could never play the new content...

I will attach my crash logs for you in case that is helpful.

pesodilla

Did some digging and it looks like it is (or was) a known problem with some Unity versions and some graphics cards: https://forum.unity.com/threads/problems-with-intel-hd-graphics-causing-crashes.635704/

Unclear from that thread whether it was ever fixed or not. But I would really love if one of the Rimworld devs would follow up on that topic and find out if there is something they can do about it! Thanks!