1.1 Broke my 6 year save

Started by Nghtlings are OP, February 24, 2020, 04:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nghtlings are OP

1.1 killed my save(I know many people had this happen to them, but no-one voiced it, as far as i know). The 1.1 change made more then 80% of my mods unplayable. Going back to 1.0, 1.0 mods were updated to 1.1, effectively killing all my saves with those mods installed.

I wasn't trying to drive anyone away from this game, it is really fun, but updates break games. On some of my mods, the creators most likely won't update it anytime soon, so I have to wait a long time. Also, mods that do fit 1.1 require mods that don't.

viperwasp

Steam is annoying for this problem. Can you roll back the mods to 1.0? Like some mods have previous versions right?
I own this game on steam. But I loath steam for it's auto updates. I mostly play Rimworld 99% of the time from the DMR Free Version bought directly from Ludeon. The mods and game don't automatically update. And when new versions come out. You can play any version you have ever downloaded forever. I still play some A13 worlds alongside 1.0 and 1.1 etc. 

Now it's probably to late for you to go get the non-steam version since your game is already updated. If you cannot get the same mods on Steam back to 1.0. Than if you find the mods on the Ludeon Mod Forum. You can maybe manually download and install them and still play  1.0 game after reverting steam version to 1.0. 
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

IHateRegistering

This wouldn't be much of a problem if mod authors wouldn't just update their existing mods exclusively to the new version. Multi-version support seems somewhat wonky AFAIK but that's no reason to essentially delete existing mods from the workshop for anyone who isn't playing 1.1 yet.

Jan2607

I reverted back to 1.0 and had no problems with my old save. All my mods (and I've got a lot of them) still work on 1.0.

ProfZelonka

Mind me asking what kind of save it is (big base, caravan-based small faction)?

6 years is a long time.. Your save likely is bloated with performance slowing issues by now, especially the bigger the base...

But yes, you can kinda easily revert back to 1.0 and your mods will continue working, no loss here.

RicRider

The first time this happened to me on Steam when it was B18 I went and bought a copy of the game from the website. Since then I use Steam to quickly test new mods but I have my own versions of the game installed in different folders for the different colonies I have going.

I hate Steam but doing some variant of what I did is literally your only way to avoid this. I miss my first colony too that I learned this the hard way on.
##Coding Scrub##

mohreb

Sorry to hear what happened to you,
That is why rimworld is one of those games where i only play a local copy.
That makes me think, will the DLC be available on rimworld site - download (as the game is if bought on site), or steam only?
As if i would like to integrate in a "new" local version of mine, i would need to download it from site as i always do.

ProfZelonka

Quote from: mohreb on February 25, 2020, 03:34:21 PM
will the DLC be available on rimworld site - download (as the game is if bought on site), or steam only?
As if i would like to integrate in a "new" local version of mine, i would need to download it from site as i always do.
It's already available on the site. https://rimworldgame.com/royalty/
The steam activation link isn't working yet but should be in a few days, it says.

viperwasp

Yes when you buy the local version. The Sendowl link only has the Mod file for the DLC. Just like downloading a mod. And you copy it into the 1.1 Rimworld Sendowl link. And Bingo! 

Yes I love the Ludeon Version so much more. Add the whole -savedatalocation thing... I don't know what it's actually called but in the read me you take this line that looks something like this -savedatalocation and plug it into the target shortcut and than all of a sudden your entire game and save files and mods are all in there own folder. Easy to backup and have multiple copies of the game going. In theory as long as you have a PC with compatible OS. You can play forever.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

TrashMan

Quote from: viperwasp on February 24, 2020, 05:19:52 PM
Steam is annoying for this problem. Can you roll back the mods to 1.0? Like some mods have previous versions right?
I own this game on steam. But I loath steam for it's auto updates. I mostly play Rimworld 99% of the time from the DMR Free Version bought directly from Ludeon. The mods and game don't automatically update. And when new versions come out. You can play any version you have ever downloaded forever. I still play some A13 worlds alongside 1.0 and 1.1 etc. 

Now it's probably to late for you to go get the non-steam version since your game is already updated. If you cannot get the same mods on Steam back to 1.0. Than if you find the mods on the Ludeon Mod Forum. You can maybe manually download and install them and still play  1.0 game after reverting steam version to 1.0.

Steam is trash.
You cannot opt out of updating workshop items and the way they handle them is terrible. It's all folders with a bunch of numbers that are cumbersome for a human to navigate.

The worst thing that as soon as I hear of the 1.1 update I opted out and made a local mod copy. Except it turns out I didn't make a local mod copy. At least I can't find it anymore. And now the most perfect playtrough is broken (I might still be able to salvage it, as I know which mod update broke it)

Kaelen Mosar

If you need a 1.0 mod, i got a backup of these and a few more propably
If there is something you need and you can not find it on a github send me a pm

Check the list there
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1993216080

The_Hat

I'm sympathetic to the opening post, because the same thing recently happened to my colony that is right bordering on the 6-year mark. When I first heard about 1.1 coming out, I made certain to set the game to 1.0 in the beta menu. But this didn't prevent my game from breaking when certain mod authors began updating without backwards compatibility. I even read a comment from one in particular (who I shall avoid naming) who stated that he/she couldn't understand why anyone would want to stay with 1.0 (mind you, with a broken unplayable 1.1 having just arrived).

Given my colony's level of development―to say nothing of the fact that this has been my most successful colony run to date―I was incensed when I loaded up two days ago and received an obligatory list of red longer than my arm. I ended up simply having to replace my broken mods with functional 1.0 mods at Rimworld Base. Which I still had to painstakingly organize in E-X-A-C-T-L-Y the same order as my original file because the system decided those mods, not being the Steam-authenticated ones, didn't belong on the list. This took me all bloody night, but it was worth it. Finally loaded up and got a few more seasons of play in. Finally hauled all the chunks out of my cave and started building in the rooms (colonists are wearing speed suits, so the work was cut in half). Built a functional kitchen, infirmary and prison in barely any time at all. The Valhalla Corporation is right on target with all of their objectives, and I don't think I've ever been prouder of such a hard-working group of digital sprites.

Then I check in today, and I get that dreaded "Steam is updating your game" garbage. Back on square one, with two more updated mods that were rendered non-functional by the updates (I was only able to find one for download on 1.0). And this is why I cannot advocate for all of this 1.1 nonsense. If it's going to make me race around the entire digital universe day-in-day out to stay ahead of the modmakers who don't give two piles of wet donkey poo about retaining core 1.0 functionality, then Tynan can take his 1.1 update and stick it.

I'm sorry I feel this way, and honestly, I do not count myself among the members of the Rimworld community who are griping about having to shell out $20 for, from what I can tell, seems like a rad addition to the game itself. And I would be happy to pay the $20. What I am not happy at all about is the prospect of spending the better part of any given day searching, often I fear in vain, for replacement mods and manually replicating my mod list line for line, as I draw closer to the edge of sanity.

Bozobub

Use Fluffy's Mod Manager and make local copies of any Workshop mods.  This will fully solve your problem, next time.
Thanks, belgord!

ProfZelonka

Quote from: Bozobub on February 27, 2020, 12:31:54 AM
Use Fluffy's Mod Manager and make local copies of any Workshop mods.  This will fully solve your problem, next time.

+1 It's a lifesaver with mods altogether! Here's the steam link too: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1507748539

RicRider

Quote from: The_Hat on February 26, 2020, 08:34:43 PM

I'm sorry I feel this way, and honestly, I do not count myself among the members of the Rimworld community who are griping about having to shell out $20 for, from what I can tell, seems like a rad addition to the game itself. And I would be happy to pay the $20. What I am not happy at all about is the prospect of spending the better part of any given day searching, often I fear in vain, for replacement mods and manually replicating my mod list line for line, as I draw closer to the edge of sanity.

I totally sympathise with you. I just want to point out though that I often see people coming to the RimWorld forums complaining about essentially what is a Steam issue. There should be a big disclaimer when you buy RimWorld on Steam that says, 'If you want to use mods for this game, you will have a much smoother experience is you purchase the DRM free version from the Ludeon site and install mods manually so they are never auto updated and break your saves.' I can think of logical reasons why you don't see a disclaimer like this but what I don't get is why is the RimWorld community so divided on this issue? We should all be encouraging each other to stop blaming Ludeon and just by the DRM free version and use the site to get mods.

I repeat, at any time, I can load a perfectly viable medieval castle I have going in a B18 version of RimWorld installed in a separate folder on my hard drive, with medieval mods and a medieval theme. The colony's been going strong for 10 years but I'm bored of it. That doesn't mean I can't load it up any time I want for old times' sake and have a bit of fun, Steam free and stress free.
##Coding Scrub##