Am I the only one who's dissapointed?

Started by TrashMan, February 26, 2020, 04:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bozobub

Funny...  I have ~400 hours in the game, only 8 mods, and I only started using mods relatively recently, and besides RTFuse, all are QoL.  It's almost as if insistence about how people play the game isn't particularly useful, isn't it?  Gawrsh.

Actually, "people" play the game in a wide variety of ways.  Stop pretending YOUR case defines anyone else's, because it doesn't.
Thanks, belgord!

RicRider

Quote from: TrashMan on March 05, 2020, 05:39:27 AM
Muh negativity
Muh mute
You sound like you belong on Tumblir

The game has been in development for how long? It's been out for how long? Tell me, when IS the appropriate time for criticism? Never?

You just don't get it. There's this thing called 'first impressions'. There's also this thing called 'concessions'.

If you messed up your first impressions with someone, it's YOUR job to make concessions if you want them to have a discussion with you. I've already replied to several of your points on this and other threads. Take the time to read through them and RESPOND like an intelligent adult.

That still won't guarantee that you get to hear my criticism of RimWorld, because frankly it's none of your business. I'll post a bug report if I find any and I'll write a note to the devs if I think I have a valid criticism.

I'm not going to do what you're doing, which is creating drama on the forum, just so people talk negatively about the game and make you feel better for the miserable time you're having playing it. Get a grip dude and find something productive to do with your life.

Also were you paying attention mate? Half your posts were deleted yesterday on this thread and half of what you said was edited out of a post. Some of my posts were deleted too. Do you understand what that means and that you're pushing a fine line here? So you can bitch and wine about what you think is Tumblr behaviour whatever that means but you and I are both apparently on notice so my point about not having the functionality to mute you still stands whether you like it or not.
##Coding Scrub##

8roads

Quote from: ProfZelonka on March 05, 2020, 03:13:12 AM
If I could, I'd play with 500 mods. Playing thru vanilla Royalty DLC, scratch that, I had to install the 4x speed up mod. I'm not saying it's unplayable without mods, it's just so much harder to do what you want without mods. For example, urgently haul items out of the rain, have your colonists not bleed out, having to click 3 tabs just to see basic info of a colonist, having to click thru every weapon to see which is best available, and so forth.

While I can "enjoy" the vanilla game, it really gets annoying without the handy shortcuts and extra content to have more fun time instead of repetitive micro managing.

Here's my beef with Royalty: What's the importance of the devs adopting some of the mod animals???

that's it. im going to install mods. i was naive. no more!

TrashMan

Quote from: Elrood on March 05, 2020, 07:11:23 AM
Some who played rimworld for 20-30 hours - he will not be playing with mods. Rimworld has enough of content for such person to have a lot of stuff to learn and understand without added complexity of mods. Imho also all your QoL mods are not so important until you start to go into 20+ pawns or wherever your micromanagement skill stop working/become too annoying. 

For someone who played few hundred hours, watched few hundred hours of rimworld "science"/analysis/lets plays videos, playing without mods is plainly boring and annoying. Stuff that isn't that bothering when you have 5 pawns is really irritating when you have 40. Micromanagement is pain the ass to do all the time. All the QoL mods are a necessity. Also all content addition mods are extremely important. Those keeps are in game, giving us new/more stuff to explore and eliminating small irritations (which build up quite a lot with time).

You're making my point for me.
When you paly a lot and see the holes in the road and broken fences the mods fix, you never want to get back to unmodded.
People with experience see what is missing.
Of course someone who is new to the game and never tried caravan trading, won't notice the flaws in the system.

On the final note: I by myself, would rather have Tynian working on new features rather than QoL, at least as long as those QoL are provided by maintained mods.
Why? Cause this way I get even more new things to play with. This discovery and learning process is what keeps me in game.

A cop-out.
It's like saying you'd rather have the mayor do something else rather than fix the broken street lights, because theres people living near the broken lights that got frustrated waiting and started fixing them up themselves. Why do your job when there's some schmuck that will do it for free?

TrashMan

Quote from: RicRider on March 05, 2020, 07:28:28 AM
You just don't get it. There's this thing called 'first impressions'. There's also this thing called 'concessions'.

If you messed up your first impressions with someone, it's YOUR job to make concessions if you want them to have a discussion with you. I've already replied to several of your points on this and other threads. Take the time to read through them and RESPOND like an intelligent adult.

You start and I'll follow your example.

I'm not going to do what you're doing, which is creating drama on the forum, just so people talk negatively about the game and make you feel better for the miserable time you're having playing it. Get a grip dude and find something productive to do with your life.

Anything you don't like is drama? Good to know.

Also were you paying attention mate? Half your posts were deleted yesterday on this thread and half of what you said was edited out of a post. Some of my posts were deleted too. Do you understand what that means and that you're pushing a fine line here? So you can bitch and wine about what you think is Tumblr behaviour whatever that means but you and I are both apparently on notice so my point about not having the functionality to mute you still stands whether you like it or not.

You always have the option to - GASP - ignore my posts.
A novel concept, I know.
And for all the complaints about posting here not being productive, you are wasting your time responding. So just ignore me if you don't like what I write. I'll do the same to you. That I can guarantee.

TrashMan

Quote from: Bozobub on March 05, 2020, 07:18:26 AM
Funny...  I have ~400 hours in the game, only 8 mods, and I only started using mods relatively recently, and besides RTFuse, all are QoL.  It's almost as if insistence about how people play the game isn't particularly useful, isn't it?  Gawrsh.

Actually, "people" play the game in a wide variety of ways.  Stop pretending YOUR case defines anyone else's, because it doesn't.

I never said my case defines everyone elses.
How you choose to play is your concern, and it doesn't change the fact that the vanilla game is lacking quite a few things.

Bozobub

Quote from: TrashMan on March 09, 2020, 07:01:49 AM
Quote from: Bozobub on March 05, 2020, 07:18:26 AM

I never said my case defines everyone elses.
How you choose to play is your concern, and it doesn't change the fact that the vanilla game is lacking quite a few things.
You made general claims about what "people" want in the game.  Try again.
Thanks, belgord!

FleshEater

I've logged almost 3000 hours in the base game never using a mod (well I lie a bit - I did use one that did a time-lapse of my base building).  The game feels complete to me.
I doubt I'm in the minority with that feeling.

Elrood

Quote from: TrashMan on March 09, 2020, 06:50:58 AM
Quote from: Elrood on March 05, 2020, 07:11:23 AM
Some who played rimworld for 20-30 hours - he will not be playing with mods. Rimworld has enough of content for such person to have a lot of stuff to learn and understand without added complexity of mods. Imho also all your QoL mods are not so important until you start to go into 20+ pawns or wherever your micromanagement skill stop working/become too annoying. 

For someone who played few hundred hours, watched few hundred hours of rimworld "science"/analysis/lets plays videos, playing without mods is plainly boring and annoying. Stuff that isn't that bothering when you have 5 pawns is really irritating when you have 40. Micromanagement is pain the ass to do all the time. All the QoL mods are a necessity. Also all content addition mods are extremely important. Those keeps are in game, giving us new/more stuff to explore and eliminating small irritations (which build up quite a lot with time).

You're making my point for me.
When you paly a lot and see the holes in the road and broken fences the mods fix, you never want to get back to unmodded.
People with experience see what is missing.
Of course someone who is new to the game and never tried caravan trading, won't notice the flaws in the system.

On the final note: I by myself, would rather have Tynian working on new features rather than QoL, at least as long as those QoL are provided by maintained mods.
Why? Cause this way I get even more new things to play with. This discovery and learning process is what keeps me in game.

A cop-out.
It's like saying you'd rather have the mayor do something else rather than fix the broken street lights, because theres people living near the broken lights that got frustrated waiting and started fixing them up themselves. Why do your job when there's some schmuck that will do it for free?

I kind of make your point ;) but not really. I gave you few examples of two complete opposite reference points. There is hell lot of in between. All of them are valid from their own point of reference. Sure, you (and to some degree me) feels that vanilia rimworld is lacking when playing without certain mods, but i will bet a lot on that we will diverge a lot on what exactly is lacking. Not to mention all the crowd who is happy with rimworld the way it is in vanilia - not everyone want to figure out tech tree bigger than civilization and have 30 options for a simple gun (like me).
Actually let me try to distill what i wanted to say: What you think is missing is what you got so used to, you treat it as must have. Thing is, this crap is so subjective, it either isn't really missing, or at least fixing it would mean something more fun to play with would not get into the game - from point of view of bigger crowd. And Tynian need to find stuff that will improve fun most for as much people as possible. You probably think he failed. Imho a lot more people think he got it kinda right, me included.

As for copout fragment - you are comparing making entertainment with basic infrastructure maintenance. Apples and oranges. When it comes to entertainment i want max value of said entertainment. And if that means mods fixing the game while game designer has time to make more fun stuff, i will vote for more fun. Especially when we already have those fixes and imho fixes are less fun than more content to play with, at least at the moment. Don't make a mistake, I'm really grateful for people finding time to tinker with this stuff, it does help - and as long as it is fun/rewarding for them i don't see a problem with it.

Again comes to different view on the same stuff. ;).

Bozobub

Exactly so.  In fact, going by Workshop downloads, the vast majority of players play with zero or very few mods.

Insistence about what "people" want or do, without a shred of evidence for your claims, simply won't work.  Not ever.
Thanks, belgord!

TrashMan

Quote from: Bozobub on March 09, 2020, 07:47:16 AM
You made general claims about what "people" want in the game.  Try again.

Most people. In my experience. I've talked to thousands and the overwhelming majority mirrors my thoughts. And that is further confirmed by gameplay.
These forums are the least critical ones I have been on, but that is usually the case of official forums.

TrashMan

Quote from: Elrood on March 09, 2020, 10:19:53 AM
Actually let me try to distill what i wanted to say: What you think is missing is what you got so used to, you treat it as must have. Thing is, this crap is so subjective, it either isn't really missing, or at least fixing it would mean something more fun to play with would not get into the game - from point of view of bigger crowd. And Tynian need to find stuff that will improve fun most for as much people as possible. You probably think he failed. Imho a lot more people think he got it kinda right, me included.

No.
If anything, it is realizing just how flawed something is when you see a fixed version of it. Who in their right mind would want to go back to an inferior product?
If all you eat is porridge, and never ate a complete meal, how can you know what you're missing? How can you know your meal is lacking? Or is wanting a decent and well balanced meal being demanding and "just subjective, just what you got used to"?

After so long and so many updates, some major problems are still there. Content, that was alluded to but was never implemented (a lot of early techs and stuff was mention by Ty himself)
There is nothing subjective about metal STILL burning.
There is nothing subjective about a medical system that makes no damn sense (I'm operating on your leg. Ups, there goes you eye!) and needs mods to fix.
There is nothing subjective about clear technological and logical gaps (pack animals -> starship. You'd think there be something in between.)
His insistance of making killboxes necessary, then whacking the entire premise with a hammer with swarms and nerfs.
I can go on and on.
There is nothing subjective about that.

Ty can take it easy because he knows there are modders out there that will compensate for his failings. The funny thing I wouldn't even mind it as much, if he were just implement some of these things into the game.

When it comes to entertainment i want max value of said entertainment. And if that means mods fixing the game while game designer has time to make more fun stuff, i will vote for more fun.

Which just shows you are a man without any principles who happily rewards bad practices.

CyberianK

Quote from: Bozobub on March 09, 2020, 08:09:34 PM
Exactly so.  In fact, going by Workshop downloads, the vast majority of players play with zero or very few mods.

Not sure about that. It can well be that the peoples playing the game a lot are using mods and many peoples who are either not playing much or have only played a little or stopped playing have not used mods. The majority of all game owners usually is dormant, never played the game or only played the game a few hours then stopped.

Like only 24% of Civilization 6 steam players ever won a single game and there's comparable stats for other games. Unfortunately as Rimworld does not use achievements we don't have good data here (or do we?). My guess is that the ratio of peoples ever having used mods is way higher in the more active player-base.

TrashMan

There is also the local mod folder. A lot of people I know don't even use the workshop because of steam shenanigans and internet connection nuking their modlist.

Also, people that never used mods don't really know what they are missing. Hindsight is 20/20.

Elrood

Quote from: TrashMan on March 10, 2020, 05:11:18 AM
Quote from: Elrood on March 09, 2020, 10:19:53 AM

No.
If anything, it is realizing just how flawed something is when you see a fixed version of it. Who in their right mind would want to go back to an inferior product?
If all you eat is porridge, and never ate a complete meal, how can you know what you're missing? How can you know your meal is lacking? Or is wanting a decent and well balanced meal being demanding and "just subjective, just what you got used to"?

After so long and so many updates, some major problems are still there. Content, that was alluded to but was never implemented (a lot of early techs and stuff was mention by Ty himself)
There is nothing subjective about metal STILL burning.
There is nothing subjective about a medical system that makes no damn sense (I'm operating on your leg. Ups, there goes you eye!) and needs mods to fix.
There is nothing subjective about clear technological and logical gaps (pack animals -> starship. You'd think there be something in between.)
His insistance of making killboxes necessary, then whacking the entire premise with a hammer with swarms and nerfs.
I can go on and on.
There is nothing subjective about that.

Ty can take it easy because he knows there are modders out there that will compensate for his failings. The funny thing I wouldn't even mind it as much, if he were just implement some of these things into the game.

Using your own food analogy - there are people who like cheeseburger or fish and chips more than full course meal from 5 star restaurant. And then there are so many variants of said 5 star meal that most of us will diverge massively on what we want.

What I'm trying and failing to convey to you is: Not everyone is bothered by what you think as problems.
Actually from the list you create I don't care about any of it. None of it is worth time to fix from my point of view.
My list would go in direction of making systems similar/identical to VGA, Giddy up, Run and Gun, Hospitality, Bad Hygiene, Save the Ship 2, few more things i won't be bothered to remember right now.
Complete opposite to what you would want. Because imho it would make game way better than fixing what you listed.
And I bet there are tone of people who would not agree with both of us, would partially agree, would thing we are mad because they are fine in vanillia....
This is why I say its so subjective.

I have not said a word about what I think about your worldview, so please refrain from commenting on my principals or stuff like that in future.