[1.1] letters "r" and "c" missing when mods loaded on mac.

Started by a_gingercat, February 27, 2020, 07:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_gingercat

Since 1.1, an issue occurs with certain mod combinations where all the lower case "r" and "c" letters disappear making the game really hard to read. I don't think the issue is specific to the mods especially since the issue seems to occur when mods with many assets are loaded. It's like there's a limit of new assets after which the game bugs out as all the mods individually work but then gradually cause the issue if too many assets are loaded. Not really sure how to recreate this though it seems an yellow error message about missing translations appears. Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Horadell

I too have had this issue and have been searching for a fix. So far, it seems like most of the Vanilla expanded mods, Alpha animals, and genetic rim all seem to cause the issues if I have other mods installed. As you have stated, the mods work individually. However, even putting multiple mods that work individually together replicates this error. Sometimes I get the debug list coming up showing translation errors and saying to generate a translation log, but can't seem to find a way to do that. Other times, the error menu doesn't come up at all.

One thing I do know is that when reloading the game to adjust for a new mod list, it always starts with loading defs, then initializing, then it reads fails to initialize as all instances of lower case "r" and "c" are missing. Hopefully this failure to initialize might point someone toward the problem.

Oddly, my wife is playing on PC and has not seen the same issue. I loaded the exact same list in the exact same order as her, including mods like Vanilla Furniture expanded, Alpha animals, Vanilla armor(or apparel or any of the others) expanded, and suddenly no c or r. Just the lowercase letters like you have been seeing.

Hopefully this can be sussed out and fixed.

a_gingercat

Yes, I've had to make compromises with vanilla extended and I suspect it's due to an incompatibility with the new update and how mods work on mac. I've also suspected the debug translation errors to have something to do with it but I have no idea how to exploit the information. Hopefully there's a fix though it's nice to know i'm not going mad on my own :)

ksaturn

I had this issue in a new large modlist. Removing Alpha Biomes and Alpha Animals fixed it.

I did not have to remove Vanilla Animals Expanded mods.

LWM

rabidhamster

I hope this helps others running into the same problem and arriving here from Google:

I had given up on the Mac version of RimWorld being compatible with my ~200 modlist saves due to this issue.  I recently added the "BetterLoading" mod to help me troubleshoot a problem on my Windows saves.  On a lark, today I tried firing up the Mac version with my new modlist, and voila!  It worked!

I can't say 100% that it's fixed everything, as I haven't had time to do extensive playtesting, but for those who are missing the "C" and "r" letters, and/or are having massive graphics glitches in their Mac Rimworld games, try that mod out.  It hasn't been updated for 1.2, but appears to run in 1.2 just fine.

My experience with the glitch is that RimWorld would launch, sit on the "..." screen for a bit, pause, and then show the game tip loading screen for the rest of the loading time.  It was at that game tip loading screen that the text glitches would first appear.  BetterLoading seems to bypass whatever error it was running into.

a_gingercat

rabidhamster thank you so much for this, it seems to be working fine with any set of mods which is just wonderful!

Samapple31

Born with pleasure and patience.